RC Competitor

Hex pins breaking every run

Im running a mamba monster with the 2200kv motor on 4s 10000mah lipo. After every bash I end up with only fwd or rwd because im snapping pins inside the hex. 17mm traxxas adapters with trenchers mounted on 3.2 rpm revolvers. Is there any other pins to use in the hex besides the traxxas or mip ones? Ive broke both several times and ended up stripping the traxxas adapter.

RC Competitor
    Im cutting nails to use as pins right now. Hope it works

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    4s ??? I can't even go full throttle on 3s, with that load you are overstressing too much the driveline.

RC Competitor
    I like going fast. Hehe. But I suppose I should just take it down a bit😓.I dont have any 3s Lipos yet. But I am still open to suggestions because 4s is fun with a lightweight truck.

RC Qualifier
    Crawler guys use piano wire.

RC Competitor
    Does it bend? Instead of break. I haven't seen it in hand. Nails might work if my hex wasn't so far gone

RC Qualifier
    Piano wire is one of the strongest metals made if not the strongest. Can you use a dremel to cut a groove the other way across the hex?

The piano wire is less hard and less brittle. For that reason it stays in one part and bends where the harder pins will break. I ordered a FLM set for the front end because they use a hex which is one part with the axle.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    I broke and bent all 4 hex pins when I first ran the mmp 2400kv combo with big tires (Masher 3.2 MT, and RPM 3.2 stablemax 17mm wheels). The tires have been collecting dust since.

The big "trenchers mounted on 3.2 rpm revolvers" combo plays a big role in causing your hex pins to break. Did you use the 3.8 trenchers you mentioned in another thread or 2.8 Trenchers?

You might change your tires to 1/8 buggy's or smaller 12mm hex tires, and the problem will be minimized.
    Last edited by hskb; 05-17-2012 at 12:42 AM.

RC Competitor
    @slaughter33 thanks. I will dremel that out. Didnt think of that.

@hskb
    I ended up using the 2.8 trenchers stretched onto the 3.2 revolvers. Not too much of a weight difference from the 2.8 desperados. I moved from the smaller hex because I was stripping wheels everyday.

I like the monster truck look but cant really find a buggy setup with enough width and grip. They all look skinny and look like I would blow them off the rims.
    I will try some piano wire when I get ahold of some. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Daedlux; 05-17-2012 at 09:11 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Daedlux,
    Please let me know if piano wire works for you (are there very much the same size?) .
    I am interested as well since I want to give my masher 3.2 another try

RC Qualifier
    it might be the extra weight of the wheels i stretched 2.8 trenchers on 3.2 maximizers and the wheel/tires alone weigh 1 1/2lbs which made the total weight 7.504lbs. if it continues i would check into getting some hardened steel 17mm hexes and pins machined but of course that very well could cause more problems somewhere else in the driveline.

RC Qualifier
    So has anyone found a solid replacement?

I'm breaking them with just the stock system on 3s geared 9/54 and every time I clean the bearings and re-grease them, every single pin is broken in half.

It drives as long as I never clean the bearings but I have to and it's annoying, don't know whos bright idea it was to make the hex pins HOLLOW.

Really don't want to hunt down the right size piano wire if there's an easier solution, I wouldn't even know where to find an assortment of piano wire.

Please help, thanks.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    The piano wire you need is W30 .080 or W31 .085 Any music store that sells / services pianos should have it and if you tell them you just need a foot for hobby purposes, they might just give it to you. Warning: it may damage cutters or snips.

Last edited by Slaughter33; 10-14-2012 at 01:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks man, I'll definitely grab a foot or two of the .085 or just size it up right there.

Thank you for this very helpful advice ...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Alternately you could cut down some nails. You need size 3D or 15ga. 2D / 14ga may works as well. These should be very strong and easier to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Alternately you could cut down some nails. You need size 3D or 15ga. 2D / 14ga may works as well. These should be very strong and easier to obtain.

Nice dude will look into that as well
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah if they don't have any piano wire at the guitar shop, I'll hit up home hardware or canadian tire for some nails

RC Champion
    Ill try to find the link.. But in the mean time.. I know a fella on RCCrawler was selling super strong pins.. I won a set in a random draw.. I'm still running them in my slash 4x4 with aka 17mm adapters.. I used to break them all the time.. Only was doing it by over tightening the wheel nut. I'd hear that little "snap" noise just as I was thinking " that's probably tight enough". Oops..

Anyway I believe the fella goes by "Gunnar" but I might have my cables crossed so ill look it up and post back.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    This is all I could find right now
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225932

Ill look for more.

RC Qualifier
    Ahhh I see, I thought the "snap" sound was my wheel cracking lol, the others end up cracked anyway but yeah I must break 1 or 2 right of the bat.

That would be great if you could point us to the pins you have in your slash or stronger

RC Champion
    From what I read. You guys are on the right track with piano wire.. Seems this Gunnar fella uses this for his pins..

RC Qualifier
    The mip xduty cvds don't use pins. They come with there own hex that slips on the shaft and is held on with setscrew. If you can afford it, it may solve your prob.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by josh62685 View Post
    The mip xduty cvds don't use pins. They come with there own hex that slips on the shaft and is held on with setscrew. If you can afford it, it may solve your prob.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Do you know if these. An be retrofitted to an existing set of MIP shafts ?

RC Champion
    Did some looking.. Seems like one could just buy the outer stub and hex and attach to the old style axle.

RC Qualifier
    I have MIPs, pretty sure they use hex pins like every other shaft.

I'm getting their 17mm adapters soon anyway and I'll try to get the piano wire

RC Champion
    The NEW MIP shafts have an axle with a flat spot and their own hexs have the same "D" shaped hole in them. No hex pin required. Look very close at my picture and you can see it.. Not sure how good it is.. but its what they're using.