RC Qualifier

Just bought my 1st spartan!

Finally got my new spartan today! cant wait to get it on the water! Im not new to the rc world, or traxxas products, but I am new to the boating world. Im having trouble with my rescue boat, and id like to have it ready before i take the spartan out! I have a old cruiser type boat im trying to fit with a traxxas drive train, would any of you experienced boaters out there be willing to help me trouble shoot my problem I keep burning out the motor this is where im at with the project

originally the boat had a stinger size motor ran on a 6 cell battery
    a 3:1 gear reduction transmission
    the prop shaft and the ruder come out under the boat not out the transom

last year we fitted it with a 12t motor and a xl-5 esc and it ran fine until it stripped the plastic gear in the tranning, well its a cheap old boat, and I have no idea who made it/ what brand it is, so I rebuilt the tranning using a 25 tooth and a 18 tooth metal gear combo, ( its all I could find that would fit, and mesh) so now im at 1.38:1 after getting it all back together the maiden voyage resulted in a fried motor!

I know the gear ratio is awfully low but I don't think Ill be able to find the right gears, (that would hold up), to get it back to 3:1 so my next guess is I may be able to change the prop???? perhaps the same one that the blast uses??
    The reason I say that is that the blast uses the stinger motor without any gear reduction, and I would hope the 12t could take whatever the stinger could????.....any suggestions? as help full as all the traxxas rc truck people were I look forward to help from the rc boaters!
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Qualifier
    Can you bypass the gear box and do a direct drive?

Pics would help us understand the setup and what you are trying to achieve.
    hog

RC Qualifier
    I tried to run the 12t motor last year with out the gear box, but it fried the motor here are a few pics of the gear box and the boat Thanks hog for taking the time to try to help!!!

I have no idea how to measure a prop but this one appears to be about 45mm at its widest point

hey hog do you of any website that explain the ins and out about props? like rc props for dummies...lol
    Last edited by goalieman3037; 05-16-2012 at 05:53 PM.

RC Champion
    There are several sites to go to ...... Try this one first....

http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/prop_sharp-bal_guide.pdf
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Don't mess with that gear box..... Go ahead and spend about $40 on a coupler, flex cable and prop. You won't regret it and you will have your boat running in no time, very easy install to do. You want to have CONFIDENCE in a retreval boat, I know I wouldn't trust some junk gear box if it's to save my boat lol.

RC Qualifier
    In addition to the site orca44 has provided a link to, there are several others. Just google "rc boat propellers" and you should find a few that will have the information you are looking for.

I agree with 67Mustang, bypass the gear box and setup a direct drive system.

I'm not sure if your gear box was set up to increase rpm to the prop, or decrease rpm. If it was geared to decrease rpm to the prop (less rpm, more torque), you may need to go with a smaller prop to prevent overloading the motor and ESC.

hog

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/Elec.../propeller.php
    http://www.modelpowerboat.com/conten...136-propellers

RC Qualifier
    thanks guys, I'm sure the gear box is a step down , originally it was, three motor turns to 1 prop turn, I have all faith in the gear box is all rebuilt with metal gears but I don't mind going direct drive like 67 mustang said, i actually have been looking into parts that ill need and I believe KINTEC RACING will make them custom lengths too! the more homework i do i think i just have to prop it right so as not to burn up the motor! i just don't know where to start! as soon as i get the drive line working right and dependable i have a cool swing boom arm i designed ( for over turned boats) to go on it soon as its complete ill post some pics thanks again everyone!

RC Qualifier
    I think another factor that should be taken into account is that its a fully submersed prop not a surface piercing prop