Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Finally! I can have my cake and eat it too!

Well you vintage guys. After a couple years of searching and had the cash available I picked up a Traxxas SRT! Harry how long have I been asking for one even order to buy yours? lol. The guy is on vacation so I'll have to wait until memorial day before it ships. I pay a huge...$75 shipped for a roller and a spare chassis. He said both chassis are in great shape with little scratches(which can probably be polished out) on the bottom but that's ok b/c I'm going to use the truck. The roller has zero issues and the transmission is original and flawless(tested it with his VXL system). He also said there are some of extra wheels and tires that are from the original kit which if I'm not mistaken are hard to find. All she needs is alittle TLC and good to go. What great is I have a old school nitro sport body I'll use for her. This the best truck ever made and probably even a better racer. I wish everyone can experience old school Traxxas vehicles like this b/c you're definitely missing out. Here the link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=841654

Already talked to the guy and payed him lol so Harry how did you not see this deal???

Now as for parts, alot of the nitro sport/rustler will fit on her no problem correct? Looking at getting some carbon fiber towers from the nitros. Is it possible to get a carbon fiber upper deck still? If not is there anyone on this forum that can fabricate parts? I'll so need the part numbers for the servo mounts and gear cover. Aside from that this isn't going to be bashed like a rustler but she isn't going to be a shelf queen either.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the parts # see here: http://traxxas.com/support/PDF-Downloads-Legacy-Models

Cabon fiber parts from here: http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/traxxas/fl_srt.html

And, check my CF SRT here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzVZxDdeed4

PS: you're over 3000 messages, get an Avatar!
    Last edited by danielhr77; 05-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Ok so Fiber-lyte is still in business?? Sweet. I guessing the gear cover from a slash will work on the SRT? I have seen all your vintage videos. I'm jealous of you LOL. Thinking of getting a another Tekin Rs Pro for this baby.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hahaha, thanks! As far as I know, Fiber-lyte is still in business, they replied to my emails last year.

The gear cover will work, it's not exactly the same, but it fits, check here for a few pictures:

http://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/new...-Stadium-Truck

Ok cool. I'm not looking for a complete vintage for the dust cover just something that fits and works(probably get the rpm one). Now what about the rear shock tower bulkhead mount? The part number is 1992 but thats discontinued. Doesn't the one from the nitros work?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, the one from the nitros is shorter, but #1992 (white) is available on eBay...

OK sweet. That's not a common part to break correct? The spare chassis comes with one. Just like to stock up on parts that are discontinued. I'm sorry for all the question I'm just excited I finally have a awesome piece of Traxxas history.

RC Champion
    never broke a stock bulk yet....

welcome to the club bud.

a word of advice, those rod ends are not great. i went with ae and losi 4-40 ball studs and rpm rod ends. best way to go imo.

the newer gear covers will all fit but they dont seal, about 5 minutes with a dremal or even an exacto knife will make it sit flush though.

are you going to beef up the gearbox and what slipper/layshaft? im going to drop the strc associated setups into my 272 boxes eventually. also maybe swap out the bell crank for a servo saver type.

if you want to make the trip im right near the edge of delray (on the boca side ) ill glady show you how i set mine up in person.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

OK SRT. When I get the truck we can met up. As for the transmission. I was gming to see how she looks before I decide. I.can always use a brush motor. And the gear cover. What exactly doesn't fit? Was the original clear or black?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Ok cool. I'm not looking for a complete vintage for the dust cover just something that fits and works(probably get the rpm one). Now what about the rear shock tower bulkhead mount? The part number is 1992 but thats discontinued. Doesn't the one from the nitros work?
    The bulkhead from the nitro will work, but requires a shim. There's an old thread around here somewhere with details. I'll see if I can dig it up again. It's rare that the stock bulkheads break, but I have seen a couple that break around the screw holes that attach it to the chassis.

Found it! Some good pics and instructions for using the nitro rear bulk.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...an-Eagle-LS-II

Will the clear 1988 dust cover fit.on.the SRT?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, I have it on my SRT!

Anyone have a spare SRT gear cover? Only thing really missing from the truck.

RC Champion
    yes i do... its a little rough around the edges but fine for a runner.

the newer gear covers need about 1/16' removed from around the lip to be able to sit flush around the whole motor mount. if your not worried about it being sealed the new cover bolts right on really.

i modded one of the stock "vxl" covers to fit on the 272 box in my sprint car and ill try to get pictures up tonight (if not, remind me via pm's)

OK I do want it sealed as illogical be mostly running it at the baseball field and that clay

I think I still have a fairly new white cover. But you'll have to wait til I can get to all my vintage stuff. And you'll have to wait in line behind Daniel. He's only been waiting for a few months or so.

All man. I it doesn't matter if its vintage or white. I just need a gear cover that is for the SRT and can seal the gears.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.

All man. I it doesn't matter if its vintage or white. I just need a gear cover that is for the SRT and can seal the gears.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRX-...item35bbec02aa
    Will this work?

Answered my own question. Thats from the TRX-1. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain about the truck guys. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can on this wonderful truck. The only major thing I'm worry about is finding replacement parts for the transmission. The transmission halves and plate is going to be hard to find. Also The upper deck has a little crack on it...can that be repaired? Thanks for all your help and I'm glad to be part of the vintage club.

RC Champion
    i cant speak for the rest of them but i think its great watching another soul sucked into the vortex

but i digress, i owe you pic-tures

heres my stock srt cover. its yours, just gotta bring a car, radio, and a few charged packs/bottle of nitro

Last edited by SRTracer121; 05-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Sweet. So the 2 above are stock rustler gear covers yet on been modded to fit the SRT? And the lower is a original Srt cover? Awesome I don't have the truck yet got to wait til the Guy gets off vacation but I do have another truck...its not a traxxas. Does that matter. Has for bringing nitro fuel I don't run nitro. I have some brush motors for you to dyno too. Just PM with more info we can met up. Get to.see the collection. Lol

Thanks SRT

Also. There a small crack in the upper deck. Is it.possible to repair it or it is a goner? I want to get full use out of both upper decks.

RC Champion
    the dyno took a crap this week, didnt tell nobody cause it was my fault

i dont discriminate between nitro or lectric... gassers though, noisy things, and so slow too.

the one with the two random holes is the one not fitted to go over the 272 motor mount.

________

if the upper deck is cracked depending on where it is it may be ruined, keep it as a template though and make a new one out of g10. you cant really fix it. they are easy to replicate though.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 05-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=SRTracer121;5176504]i cant speak for the rest of them but i think its great watching another soul sucked into the vortex

but i digress, i owe you pic-tures

Vortex,darn,I get sick for a few days and miss all the fun.

but seriously now,welcome to the vintage Traxxas addiction Emaxx2.0.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

Thanks man. I always had a soft spot for this truck. I see a addiction coming. Vintage and modern racer.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    if the upper deck is cracked depending on where it is it may be ruined, keep it as a template though and make a new one out of g10. you cant really fix it. they are easy to replicate though.
    +1. They're very easy to make and if you plan to run hard cased lipos, you kinda need to make a new plate. You can cut the original plate to accept 7 cell packs, but it really makes for too loose of a fit. I made my own and cut it somewhere in between the stock and 7 cell locations and it fit like a glove.

By 7 cell I mean you cut the first two rectangles out of the plate and use the forward mounting holes on the upper and lower chassis. Here is a pic:

compared to the stock plate:

The truck in the second pic is my original racer and I was still running nimh packs. Tight fit, but it worked. No way my hard case would fit in that setup. It's the same issue I have with my TCP. I've gotten lazy in my old age and just built the car around the lipo. I have to loosen the 4 screws that hold the shock tower-to-battery box brace to remove or install a lipo in my TCP.
    Last edited by harry697; 05-18-2012 at 08:04 PM.

RC Champion
    well them spc packs are mighty tight fit in anything so it isnt just you.

i use the factory option g10 upper deck (2521x) with the "T" removed. im also using the factory option graphite lower deck (2522x).

RC Champion
    i believe so but imo the plastic are better. id rather tear a arm mount block then my chassis.

i believe so but imo the plastic are better. id rather tear a arm mount block then my chassis.
    Another +1. Only aluminum piece I ever used on the SRT was some RD Racing 30 degree caster blocks. Only thing I ever really broke on that truck while racing. I tried using Associated ball cups on my latest truck, but they just kept popping the camber links if you looked at them wrong instead of breaking the caster. My rule of thumb is to never use aluminum on suspension parts unless you can't finish a race due to broken parts.

well them spc packs are mighty tight fit in anything so it isnt just you.

i use the factory option g10 upper deck (2521x) with the "T" removed. im also using the factory option graphite lower deck (2522x).
    Yeah, I saw that graphite chassis. A little jealous. I saw that thing on ebay, but just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. Probably won't see another one anytime soon.

OK. I understand. Now where can I get g-10 sheets or carbon fiber sheets and how would I even cut them? Band saw and router? Defuses a.dermal.by hand but idk it I can do that LOL.

I usually get sheets from ebay. Don't see any there right now though. Seems like they're out of stock most of the time. You want .093 thickness for direct replacement or .125 if you want a little more strength (don't think it needs to be stronger with the SRT chassis setup though).

Here's a link to Tower, but they're out of stock too:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXA271&P=8

OK sweet. So the stock thickness for the chassis and upper deck is .093. What is the thickness for the shock towers?

RC Champion
    they are, i think, .125

idk about anyone else but ive broken a few rears more than fronts. amazingly 2 of the 3 ive broken are really still useable, they weave still has the strength to hold despite the cracks. there are a few options other than stock.

for oval/onroad conversion
    http://www.speedysracingparts.com/Ni...%20kit%202.jpg

extreme used to make cf towers too but you can still get the front tower anywhere and the rear towers pop up often on fleabay, the stock is/was 2517, graphite was was the same with "x" tacked on the end. front was 2518 and graphite was 2518x. (i have atleast one of each and one of the old t4 conversion rears )

oh and random plug-ins

http://vintageteamaandl.com/
    http://www.ssrcracing.com/traxxas.html
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 05-19-2012 at 04:19 AM.

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/traxxas/fl_srt.html You can get carbon fiber rears that in the stock template. I only ask b/c I'm kinda going to build a modern SRT race truck (probably to replace my T4.1). I want to use all carbon fiber, redesign the chassis to make it more lipo friendly and spread out the weight while putting the truck on a diet and redesign the towers that more in line with the T4s. I know some hate the idea but it's will still be a SRT just redesign for the year 2012 . I'll still have my vintage SRT. I can AutoCAD the chassis and tower design but getting the carbon fiber and CNC cuts for a reasonable price is going to be difficult. Any ideas where this be possible if I provide a AutoCAD and will it be worth it? I might do a test run with the G-10 material first to test the design.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.

I find it funny how the SRT almost 20years ago had a transmission that does exactly this

But without all the extra weight and crazy price.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/traxxas/fl_srt.html You can get carbon fiber rears that in the stock template. I only ask b/c I'm kinda going to build a modern SRT race truck (probably to replace my T4.1). I want to use all carbon fiber, redesign the chassis to make it more lipo friendly and spread out the weight while putting the truck on a diet and redesign the towers that more in line with the T4s. I know some hate the idea but it's will still be a SRT just redesign for the year 2012 . I'll still have my vintage SRT. I can AutoCAD the chassis and tower design but getting the carbon fiber and CNC cuts for a reasonable price is going to be difficult. Any ideas where this be possible if I provide a AutoCAD and will it be worth it? I might do a test run with the G-10 material first to test the design.
    Anyone? I love the idea of taking a old truck..especially a Traxxas and doesn't some mods but not taking away the core of the truck and beating the current crop out there. I'll have the SRT2(lol) and my Vintage SRT.

Hey SRT clear your message box. BTW I was wondering where or how I and get that gear cover off you man. I have no problem meeting up with you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why don't you buy the transparent one from eBay?