Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Wheelie Bars

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9

    Wheelie Bars

    I think if they had two wheelie bars instead of the centered one they have it would be a lot more stable... any thoughts...???

  2. #2
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    I think a single wheelie bar is just fine, as long as it is centered correctly. That's what the real car uses, and that's what the high performance rc drag cars use mostly. If I was having problems on launch, If anything, I would make a longer single wheelie bar.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,398
    1 wheel is better that 2 wheels... With two wheels you might have a "walking" truck...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rc Room
    Posts
    1,484
    Real drag cars have a locked diff this funny car does not it may be a little different set of rules.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,566
    Quote Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
    I think if they had two wheelie bars instead of the centered one they have it would be a lot more stable... any thoughts...???
    Have a goooood look at the funny cars these days... Most use a single wheel, it's more stable since there are not 2 wheels fighting each other when under torque.

    When the wheelie bar is working there is torque flex happening to the chassis. With 2 wheels on the wheelie bar it can put more pressure on one of them than the other. This causes instability... Also it's an extra wheel with extra drag working against you.... Even the one that do still use the 2 wheel wheelie bar, those 2 wheels are set pretty close to each other..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    555
    Have a good look at NHRA pro stock cars they do not have a single wheel. Single is not better then 2. The only reason the single wheel is on the funny car or dragster is to keep it from going over backawrds thats it. Pro stock uses them as part as the suspension on the lauch. LOL a single wheel on a prostock would be death. It would roll rotate either left or to the rite on that single wheel and drive the the car eaither left or rite. If a single wheel was better prostock would be running them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Have a goooood look at the funny cars these days... Most use a single wheel, it's more stable since there are not 2 wheels fighting each other when under torque.

    When the wheelie bar is working there is torque flex happening to the chassis. With 2 wheels on the wheelie bar it can put more pressure on one of them than the other. This causes instability... Also it's an extra wheel with extra drag working against you.... Even the one that do still use the 2 wheel wheelie bar, those 2 wheels are set pretty close to each other..

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,566
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer17 View Post
    Have a good look at NHRA pro stock cars they do not have a single wheel. Single is not better then 2. The only reason the single wheel is on the funny car or dragster is to keep it from going over backawrds thats it. Pro stock uses them as part as the suspension on the lauch. LOL a single wheel on a prostock would be death. It would roll rotate either left or to the rite on that single wheel and drive the the car eaither left or rite. If a single wheel was better prostock would be running them.
    Strange.... I never said Anything about Pro Stock, I was pointing out Funny Cars which is not the same class the last time I checked.... Apples and Oranges in my book.....

    I agree 100%, most Pro Stock's do use a 2 wheel setup.... Then again I was talking about Funny Cars which is a totally different beast. The Traxxas RC is a Funny Car replica.... Not Pro Stock.......
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    Slayer.. your half right... All PS teams with a suspension have two wheeled rear wheelie bars,... how ever several only use one of them for contact on a launch.... some subscribe to the theroy of using just the left one and have the right one high enouhg to not be part of the setup.... also.. the much faster Pro Mods only use 1 wheeled rear bars....\



    Back ot the subject at hand.... on a drag car... mainly the Traxxas FC we are talking about .. the issue is the car is trying to leave harder than the car is set for.... so you have two options....cut back on the power at launch... or add weight (stick on big car wheel weights) to the front....

    THe Traxxas FC doesnt offer the same real word offering as its larger counter part on launch... "wheel spin".... and "tire squat" bot hare key parts to the big FC's launching correctly..... not everything ..but key parts of it.... the Tire squat is what the wheelie bar helps control on the big car... as well as the raising of the front end.. to a certin extent....


    If your wanting to launch as hard as you can.. i suggest the wheel weights stuck to the front of the chassis.... will help keep the nose down some .. and more controlable.... you will still get som wheels up launches..just not as big.... experiment to find your happy medium...

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,566
    Quote Originally Posted by billy Weeks View Post
    Back ot the subject at hand.... on a drag car... mainly the Traxxas FC we are talking about .. the issue is the car is trying to leave harder than the car is set for.... so you have two options....cut back on the power at launch... or add weight (stick on big car wheel weights) to the front....
    I'm wondering if a form of slipper would be of any use? Like adding more clutch plates in 1:1 trannies.

    Quote Originally Posted by billy Weeks View Post
    If your wanting to launch as hard as you can.. i suggest the wheel weights stuck to the front of the chassis.... will help keep the nose down some .. and more controlable.... you will still get som wheels up launches..just not as big.... experiment to find your happy medium...
    Do you think maybe going to a shock with a little more travel and working with getting some more suspension "Squat" and having a one way dampening shock allowing extension with less dampening then when it is in the down travel stage yet give more squat from the launch?

    Pretty sure the foam tires have no torsion squat either,,, Tire options sound like something aftermarket will pick up on... But that takes time, I don't see hop ups and aftermarket stuff showing up for a little while after something comes out.... But I'm sure it will...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    Not sure on the slipper... be interesting to try...


    i think a little softer "squat" on the rear shock/spring set up would help with the wheelies hitting the bar too hard....

    the foam tires i have seen for the Traxxas FC have a decent amount of sidewall.. and have a VERY small mount of tire squat...but.. they do allow for a bit of twist on preped surfaces.... (rim turns before the actual contact patch of the tire does... kind of like the big cars.) and gives a bit of wheel spin on launch which cuts back on hitting the wheelie bars...

    Mike Smith of Mike Smith Tires/Lochman R/C Products and the MHRA r/c drag club is taking peoples FC rims they send him and mounting foam on them.... He makes tires for the other r/c drag cars out there.. and they hold all but a couple world records....

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    123
    with a twin wheel wheelie bar a long sustained wheelie will be nice and stable....but the idea here isnt to ride out a wheelie...but to quickly convert the rotational energy into forward motion....and one wheel does it quite efficiently. And with less parasitic drag. adding a little weight to the nose can also help calm down the wheelie effect when traction permits it.. I also suggest checking for proper bar height as when the car gets up to speed the down force created by the body/wing will compress the suspension and some cars will be riding on the wheelie bar without even being in a wheelie.

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Hi
    I have just order this funny car for my son. This is why I was reading your forum. I am along time drag race full scale. I have watched some off the video. The problem as I see it is 3 link settings. It takes alot of work to setup a full scale car. We center gravity, precent rise, etc.. You can find 4 link/3 link setups on many drag racing site. Just a few comments:There is no good reason to add weight to a drag racing car. "squat" good for tires to "squat" alittle."squat" bad for the car to "squat" that is the rear wheel moving up into car or car moving down over tire. For best taction the car should rise off the rear axle pushing tires down into pavement. The wheelie bar should kiss the ground just alittle one wheel or two does not matter. This is all controled by ajusting your 3 link. I am looking forward to helping my son setup his car. I hope my comments help.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    123
    very true speedair!....welcome to the forum!... the biggest issue running these 3-link dragsters is traction....they require a very smooth track and sticky surface to perform well....just like any other dragster...but with the rubber tires rather than foam it creates a very interesting variable getting the cars to hook and stay straight. My best run so far has been a 2.4@66mph in 132 ft.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thank you for the welcome. That looks like a good run. From the video I watched the cars where hitting the wheel bar to hard JMO. On the full scale track you need rubber on the track that makes smoother and sticky. Maybe try a smooth rubber mat with coke or pepsi dryed on it. We plan to race on the full scale track. We will be timing to 60ft same as full size. A good full size 60ft is less than 1sec (dragster, Pro stock) most car 4 link cars 1.3 to 1.5 sec. Setting a 3 or 4 link takes alot of time. A flat is what 4 links are ajusted in that is turning link bar one flat side of a hex nut. It takes time that is the fun drag racing always trying to better your last run.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    81
    Maybe a longer wheeliebar.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    81
    Longer wheeliebar, mike smith foams, bigger battery and launch that baby

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    555

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25
    Got mine yesterday and it works Beautifully!!! Great fit, easy to install! They are coming out with a two wheel version also!
    Bob

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    81
    yes rich wanted me to post this. Now its time to put the power down.

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    HOUSTON, TX
    Posts
    132
    about time, looks like i need to reach off in the dungeon and get the funny back out. thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •