RC Enthusiast

Question New and confused...

Hi guys,..

being a newbie... I hope my question doesn't sound to dumb, cos it doesn't make sense to me. I have 2x 11.1v 5000mah traxxas lipo and ez-peak plus charge with dual balance charging board.
    my understanding is I should charge traxxas lipo at 1C... so it should be 5amp if I'm to charge them individually. If I use dual balance charging board to charge both lipo at the same time, should I be charging it at 10amp? what confuses me the most is, ez-peak plus charger only charges up to 6A. Would I be better off charge them individually?? or is it okay to charge both at 6A?

Thanks in advanced.

Leor

The EZP+ is a 6S, 6A charger, but it has an 80W power limit. I believe the dual balance charging boards put the packs in series, so two 3S packs would be detected as one 6S pack.

Math:
    W = V x A
    For charging both 3S packs, you easily are using ALL of the 80W possible:
    80 Watts / 6*(4.2V) = 3.175 A

For charging one 3S pack, you can only reach a maximum of 75.6W:
    V x A = W
    3*(4.2V) x 6A = 75.6W

Charging two will result in overall time savings even though you are charging at a lower rate.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the response.

also, traxxas battery also comes with instruction mentioning about new battery break-in,
    it mentioned not to discharge above 70% of the C rate. it also gave an caculation of 17.5C = 25C x 0.7 [(5000mah / 1000) x 17.5] = 87.5 Amps.

it confuse the poo out of me.. can i just use ezp+ to discharge it and balance charge it 5 cycles?

RC Champion
    Don't waste 5 cycles. Just run them easy a few times. No full trigger pulls, 75% max trigger only. That charger is great for mini revo lipos.

The "break in period" is for you to learn how to drive. They just can't say it that way.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Bob,
    If I understand it correctly, the breaking period it's talking about is not to run my spartan flatout.
    so, with 2 x 5000mah lipo battery.. 70% will be 175amp?
    as, VXL-6S on Spartan is rated 80A continous, 300A Peak.. maybe I can just put it in training mode for the first few cycles?
    p.s. training mode uses 50% power

RC Champion
    That sounds like a great idea!

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure if I did my maths right.

but does C rating double when you run it in series? or it stays the same?

RC Champion
    C rating stays the same.