Thread: Rustler+Lipo

RC Competitor

Rustler+Lipo

just got a rustler vxl. will the 8.4 volt 7 cell that came with it be faster than a 7.4v 2s lipo?

RC Qualifier
    Lipo packs are not going to fade like nihm packs they are strong till they hit lvc off
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Competitor
    but will the 7.4v lipo be as fast as the 8.4 volt nimh?

how fast will a rustler vxl go with stock gearing on a 2s lipo?

and

how fast with stock gearing on a 3s lipo?

Fresh from the charger, a 8.4 NiMH will deliver a higher voltage than a fresh charged 2S Lipo, but that will only be for a short period, because a Lipo can hold up a more constant voltage. With a NiMH you will notice the voltage decrease which you wont with a Lipo.

You can calculate the theoretical top speed of you car with this calculator.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    thanks for the info. that helps out. I am wanting to get the most speed i can while still having an off road capable vehicle. without having to worry too much about temps. alot of grass and alot of dirt driving. any suggestions?

If you want to drive on grass and still have a nice on road speed without having to watch temps, you are searching for something that many want, but will be hard find. Watching temps on these ver fast cars is a must. The right gearing helps to keep temps within an acceptable bandwith, but you want a more heavy gearing for on road than for grass.

You could upgrade your ESC/motor combo to something stronger which will run cooler on the same speeds, but again, you are after something that asks consessions.

RC Competitor
    Is a 3s lipo with stock gearing acceptable for off road? or is the 3s too much?

I really appreciate the information. I'm trying to cut some corners on figuring out whats best for me. If that is possible. lol

Dont forget many things depend on your personal preference. Some think 3S is too much while others dont use anything else. For my 1/10 scale cars, I dont have anything but 3S, but that doesnt mean it will work for you too.

If you want to keep it cooler, 2S is less risk and that also goes for breaking parts. But if you want more (crazy) speed, 3S is the way to go. When you look at the price of batteries, a temp gun and some other pinions and spurs are not the most expensive parts. To find your personal best, fiddling with gearing is almost necessary.

RC Competitor
    If i could get 45 mph off road on grass and such, I think that would be about perfect. But, like i said I just got a Rustler VXL and don't know if there is a combination to give me that while maintaining a decent off road temp.

Grass is a killer because it will make your motor work hard, even on constant speed. 45mph on grass with the stock combo without heat issues is asking quite a lot.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, so a temp gauge and keeping an eye on it is the only way to go. Guess a 3s lipo with a smaller pinion would be a good place to start once I make the switch to lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryR View Post
    Yeah, so a temp gauge and keeping an eye on it is the only way to go. Guess a 3s lipo with a smaller pinion would be a good place to start once I make the switch to lipo?
    That sounds like a great start! Good luck with that. I'm off to work. Earn money to spend on my cars

RC Competitor
    Alright then. Thanks for the info