Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    I've given up on Traxxas's gps. Anybody have suggestions for a cheap gps that I could grab locally? Best Buy or something.

RC Qualifier
    Garmin nuvi or something like that is what I use. Great gps

RC Qualifier
    Check craigslist for a Garmin nuvi 200. You should be able to pick one up for $40 - $50.

My LHS took soldered my new connectors on so all I need to do now is install the servo and receiver assembly and then I can start figuring out how to use my MT-4. Hopefully I can take care of all of that before the snow clears and finally get this car back on the road.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    I got sick of waiting as well. I used to use my phone but since purchased the Garmin Forerunner 101. I got it used off of ebay for $50 shipped. Very compact, accurate, and installs quite easily (comes with a durable velcro strap).
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Enthusiast
    I like the forerunner 201, just because it's rechargeable. good little devices and can be found on ebay for decent prices.

RC Qualifier
    I got a chance to take the xo1 out again this afternoon with my Garmin forerunner 101. The GPS unit seems to be extremely accurate when compared to the radar gun, in my Traxxas Spartan, and in a 'real car.' So this is what I came up with today. I was not able to use the radar gun to verify the speeds so take from this what you will. I plan on having video, gps, and radar gun proof but for right now I'm early in the process of still learning this set-up. As I said before, it's retarded fast and I really did not expect to hit these speeds today. I would like to do a few other passes at this speed for 100% confirmation... but judging from the time I've spent with the car these speeds seem about right. Those of you who thought the Kershaw set-up was crap and the XO1 would never do above 110mph are wrong. If you believe me that's fine... if you don't, that's also fine.

Also, yes, that is an aluminum brace. I had a very bad wreck last week straight into a concrete curb at 75mph (radar gun). Luckily I was able to straighten out the bent brace, motor mount, and fix the damaged motor (can got crushed on the end and had to repair some of the wires). I also moved the ESC towards the center of the car by about 3/16" to minimize any possible damage with future wrecks. I've got the aluminum brace screwed into the plastic sides. I would rather replace the plastics than the Kershaw mounting kit. I'm going to make a better design as I was in a hurry and just trying to get something made in order to minimize possible damage.

Two different angles so you know I did not photoshop anything:

RC Qualifier
    That's awesome! I hope to go fast tomorrow. No kershaw but we'll see what happens. Post some video.

RC Qualifier
    What did your telemetry say?

RC Enthusiast
    That is an awesome speed man! bout time I see a super fast xo-1!!
    I'd take GPS over radar gun all day, no human error with the reading angles etc..
    I had a bushnell radar gun that if I flicked my wrist fast enough it would read 100+ so I stopped using those a long time ago.. it's GPS or nothing for me.

keep it up! and make some vids.

That's a super XO-1 though, far from the stock setup.
    Last edited by fdjizm; 10-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Looks good T, get some video when you can. Bout time somebody comes to the plate with this. Alot of talk on here and nobody ever does nohtin, lol...Good Job....

RC Qualifier
    Is that MPH?
    Thats amazing if it is!
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Racer
    Was that full throttle or was there more left ?? Thats insane !!!! Can't wait to see some video. At them speeds you should borrow Stench's parachute !!! WOW

RC Qualifier
    I am on cloud 9 right now!!!! The wheels on my car turned for the first time since I ran 102 mph back in March!!!! Have the car on a "stand" while I am adjusting the settings. Going to program the radio and ESC settings tonight and take it out in the morning if the weather gets up to the 50s just to get a new video of it actually running again.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    I was able to get the car on the road for about 10 minutes today, but I ran into problems with the pinion gear as I expected because it does not fit on the motor shaft securely. When the set screw is in place, the end of the motor shaft is only halfway to the center of the set screw. On the stock setup I am pretty sure the motor shaft was long enough to go fully past the set screw once in place. Will have to take some pictures later and post them. Later this week I am going to try the other gear that I bought with the kit to see if that one fits better.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    Nice job Anthony! I'll have to add your pics to my site. I really need to plan a trip out there so we can do some insane runs. I haven't touched my XO-1 in a long time. You're making me jealous! lol
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    I just e-mailed Kershaw about the pinion gear stuff. I think I am going to have to turn/swap my a-arms around to put the rear springs on the other side so the pinion gear doesn't rub against the springs. We will see what he says.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys.

Stench - The MPH telemetry isn't working properly. When I clocked 95mph several weeks ago Telemetry said I did 145mph. Ever since then it's just gotten worse. I may need to check the mounting of the sensor but to be honest I could really care less since I've got the GPS and radar gun. So as far as Temeletry goes, I hold the record at 999mph. Not being able to change the settings to the XL2 ESC and 8s is also skewing the results.

YOLer - Yes, it's MPH.

bringit- turn your pinion around backwards and mount it. Flipping the suspension and arms around helps give you additional clearance with everything. I have not noticed any difference in handling on either of my XO1's by doing this. Keep in mind when you swap the arms around the rear will sit slightly lower. I use the 2nd outer location on the A-Aarm to mount the shock to in order to keep the vehicle level.

ponie1992 - I've got one location that seems to be the best to run at in Charleston. I would really like to get access to an airport runway with this set-up. I was thinking about taking this back out to the 1/8 mile track but even that location isn't 100% ideal for this set-up.

RC Qualifier
    So, I swapped the right A-arm to see how it would look and here are the results. After the pictures I have a question about how I did this.

Pinion installed with A-arm in stock location:

Pinion installed with A-arm turned around:

Difference in height left (stock) right (switched)

Right side with A-arm switched:

Left side with A-arm in stock location:

Swapped Parts

If you look at the last picture, the arrows on the right side of the car show where I changed the sides of where the shock and the tie rods connect. You can compare them to their stock locations that are circled on the left side. Should I leave them as they are on the right side or should I change them to where they are located on the right side instead? What are the advantages/disadvantages if I leave them as they are?
    Last edited by bringit; 10-30-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    You want the suspension to be 100% symmetrical. Leave the tie rods in the same location prior to swapping everything.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    Thanks guys.

Stench - The MPH telemetry isn't working properly. When I clocked 95mph several weeks ago Telemetry said I did 145mph. Ever since then it's just gotten worse. I may need to check the mounting of the sensor but to be honest I could really care less since I've got the GPS and radar gun. So as far as Temeletry goes, I hold the record at 999mph. Not being able to change the settings to the XL2 ESC and 8s is also skewing the results.

YOLer - Yes, it's MPH.

bringit- turn your pinion around backwards and mount it. Flipping the suspension and arms around helps give you additional clearance with everything. I have not noticed any difference in handling on either of my XO1's by doing this. Keep in mind when you swap the arms around the rear will sit slightly lower. I use the 2nd outer location on the A-Aarm to mount the shock to in order to keep the vehicle level.

ponie1992 - I've got one location that seems to be the best to run at in Charleston. I would really like to get access to an airport runway with this set-up. I was thinking about taking this back out to the 1/8 mile track but even that location isn't 100% ideal for this set-up.
    We need some running vids man!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Couldn't stay asleep so I decided to mess with the car again. I went through with changing the a-arms around, but now the axle boots are rubbing against the a-arm. I was thinking about cutting that last "ladder rung" off to get it out of the way, but figured that would weaken the a-arm. What have you guys done to keep the boot from rubbing?

XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    It's upside down.

RC Champion
    I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't they just be swapped? Put right on left side and left on right side?
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they upside down bro. You need to change the bulkhead to seat those a arms properly. Or turn them over and drill holes to attach the shock to the arm. That's what I did way to much effort messing with bulkheads

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    Flip them as I said.

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    We need some running vids man!
    I know... it's not looking like I'll have one for a while. It's such a pain to organize getting my friends to come out with me and having ideal weather conditions at the same time. I went to do some additional runs over the weekend and had everything set-up to run only to find out I grabbed the wrong 4s lipo's, lol. I went out there another time and they had 18 wheelers parked in the middle of the road. I really wish I could just get access to an airport runway... it would make things so much easier.

I've got my daughter's 2nd birthday coming up this weekend then the birth of my son on November 20th. Then there's Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years... and let's not forget everyone's favorite made up holiday KWANZAAAA!!!! I know you guys have waited for over 6 months for results so I figured I'd go ahead and share them.

RC Qualifier
    Ah, I didn't realize I need to swap the right and left a-arms and turn them upside down. I just turned them upside down. Rookie move. Thanks for all your help guys!

I have that fixed, but now that the hole in the pinion for the set screw is completely on the motor shaft, I can't get the set screw to stay in place. It looks like there isn't enough metal on the pinion for the set screw to dig into before the screw makes contact with the shaft. It basically just hits the motor shaft and won't go any further to tighten. The set screw tightens into the pinion when the pinion is off the motor so I am pretty sure that is what is happening. Not sure what I am going to do about that, but the quickest solution is to see if my LHS has pinions and set screws this size.

Update:
    Called Traxxas and they said the stock XO-1 gears are 1 metric pitch which is equivalent to 32P so I am going to look for some pinion gears online.
    Last edited by bringit; 10-31-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    So far I have not had any luck finding anyone that sells 1 metric pitch 24T or larger pinion gears for 6mm shaft motors other than Kershaw.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Don't get 32p they are not as strong. And for your pinion problem try and source a longer grub screw it's what I had to do got it out of my 27t mod1 from
    Robson racing.
    And 6mm is always a pain to find..

RC Champion
    FYI, metric pitch gears WILL NOT mesh with standard pitch gears. You will need to find a metric pinion. They may look like they match up, but they don't. You'll end up stripping out the spur gear if you run a standard pitch.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandee View Post
    Don't get 32p they are not as strong. And for your pinion problem try and source a longer grub screw it's what I had to do got it out of my 27t mod1 from
    Robson racing.
    And 6mm is always a pain to find..
    I am not sure what good a longer set screw would do for me. Here is a picture of how far the screw has to be in the pinion before it will not back out, which means the screw would already be in contact with the motor shaft:

If anything, I think the pointed side of the screw should be cut off/cut flat. The arrow on my picture points to the part of the pinion gear I wish was thicker. If it was thicker then the set screw would bite well before it made contact with the motor shaft and I would be able to put threadlocker on it so it would not back out.

Took note of the 32P comment. I will look for 1.0 metric pitch pinions then.
    Last edited by bringit; 11-01-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier

Is your pinion anything like mine?

RC Qualifier
    The best picture I have right now of mine is this one:

The part where the set screw fits in is kind of under the motor mount if you are looking at it from the side or top, but the part of the pinion gear with the set screw hole is quite a bit shorter diameter wise than yours.
    Last edited by bringit; 11-02-2012 at 01:22 AM.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    You can and should still put thread lock on the set screw. Just let it dry before running it.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Why don't you just tap another location for the grub screw? That's what I did when mine stripped out.

RC Qualifier
    I forgot to mention that if you require another location then use a 1/8" drill bit for the new hole. Then tap it with a 4mm x .70mm tap and you're all set. If you've got the delrin pinion you'll find out that sometimes you'll strip out the delrin threaded portion. If so, just make sure to add additional blue loctite and it should work just fine.

RC Qualifier
    I got another chance to run the 8s set-up this afternoon. No, I don't have any video's. Running this car is just a giant consumption of my time. It took over an hour to do a single pass due to traffic and the wind. Results via radar gun / GPS were 110mph/109mph. I was only 75% into the throttle when the car went airborne and did a backflip 2 feet off of the ground then landed perfectly back on the ground and kept going, lol. I was so frustrated with traffic and the wind that I decided to call it a day. After I got home I noticed that my front wheel bearing was completely busted.

So as far as the GPS goes... it is extremely accurate. I feel confident saying the picture I posted last week is completely accurate. I think after I can get a full throttle run that this set-up will see low 130's.

75% Throttle and then going airborne today:

Results from last week (not 100% full throttle)

RC Champion
    Anthony, I believe you are setting the bar with the XO-1. I think its time for me to join the party. I need to find a good spot asap.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Anthony, I believe you are setting the bar with the XO-1. I think its time for me to join the party. I need to find a good spot asap.
    Yep time to fix mine and keep up I think lol

RC Champion
    I've been getting bit by the speed bug again since I put an 1/8 system on my 2wd slash. Time to dust off the XO-1!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Went a sustained 120 today on 6s. The stock motor is pretty tough.