Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Enthusiast
    Wow! Choosing Bill Nye over Mr. Wizard really shows how young you are. What is so hard for you to believe that he did 108 when you did 109? Yes photos can be chopped and people can lie on the net. The way i figure it (I am no engineer) is that the faster you go the bigger the difference will be. Kind of like a curve. Another way to put it is if you car does 20mph, then +-1mph is consistent. If your car does 60mph, then +-3 would be consistent. But as it has been stated before, If you don't have anything productive to say, then don't hit the post button and move on.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post

I would also like to give a thumbs up to High Gear RC (ponie1992/Jeremy) for his XL2 mounting kit. The kit comes with instructions and it is very simple to install. It is a very nicely designed piece. I was thinking of making the mount... but for $30 bucks shipped you can't beat it. The ONLY thing I may modify on his kit is to move the ESC's mounting location a little closer to the center of the car. This would only be to prevent the ESC from getting damaged if the car were to hit a curb sideways at a very high speed. I may fabricate an aluminum brace around the ESC for additional protection.
    Anthony, thank you so much for the compliments! I put alot of thought and work into designing the kit. But, I am only human so I have missed a couple of small details that would improve the kit. I will definitely take your comments into consideration when producing the next batch of kits. I enjoy any and all feedback from anyone that is using my kit. Thanks again!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Il be ordering one soon ponie!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandee View Post
    Il be ordering one soon ponie!
    Sounds great!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    after seein all these XL2's up in smoke , makes me weary to install mine on the car ..
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    It's all part of the risk bro Lol
    Last edited by Pandee; 09-21-2012 at 05:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    yea i been tempted to try the 2200 on 8s god only knows how many rpms itll get too before the bearings in the motor shatter .. if i still have everything by end of year I will try it

RC Racer
    Ive had three ESCs fail this week. I had the XL2 in my XO-1 fail, no smoke of any kind but would not drive the motor. Put my spare XL2 in and after 5mins lost all power, put the unused stock ESC in and it would not link up to my radio. I got fed up and pulled the XL2s apart and the second one just blew the caps. Robbed the caps on the other and back in business

RC Racer
    I opted to widen 2 brace mounting holes out due to the fact that my set-up is not identical to bringit's. If you don't know how to use a drill then you don't have any business doing an installation like this in the first place.

That's why I stated "pretty much just plug and play." As far as running into 'something small' that's how it is working on any RC car... stock or not
    Come on, the only stuff I see people having to redrill and tap holes is kershaw and flm. My gorillamaxx chassis bolted right on, not to mention it came with a bag of Hexcrews HexHeads A.P. (Armor Plated) screws to put it together with a few extra not a few missing. I don't mind a bit of dremel work, but come on. If you can't make it right why make it at all.

RC Racer
    why not look at mgm esc's. yes they are expensive but they are really nice. ive tested a friends rc with it and they hold up just fine even on 12s lipo. so 8s lipo for you set up the esc is more than enough.

RC Racer
    Hey Bringit has your build progressed any further?? Any updates

RC Qualifier
    No, mailed the battery last Monday and haven't received it back yet.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    I think the battery arrived today. Have to pick my mail up tomorrow. Thanks to someone's advice on this board, I think I will research some stuff before I install my stuf as I don't want to deal with capacitor problems.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Racer
    What capacitor problems?? I have had the legs brake before but as long as you have another capacitor to put on they are very easy to solder.

RC Champion
    Luckily, I haven't had any issues with my XL2 yet. I don't have alot of run time, but it's holding up so far.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Which motor are you running ponie1992? Also are you running an 8s setup?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    Which motor are you running ponie1992? Also are you running an 8s setup?
    I'm running the stock motor with the XL2 ESC. I have only run on 6S so far. I hope to get a couple 4S batteries soon.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Waiting for my battery connectors to arrive, however I am very tempted to sell one of my rollers and the brand new XO-1 ESC so I can buy the new Traxxas Rally (1/10). That car looks fun.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Kershaw sent the set screws for the pinion gear this week, and Kershaw fixed the battery two weeks ago. I decided to order the High Gear RC mount from ponie1992 due to all of the XL2 issues I have heard of. I don't want to remove double sided tape each time if I have to send it back to Castle. The kit installed without ANY problems! Thanks ponie1992!!! When any of you buy the kit, just make sure you use some CA glue or hot glue like the instructions state because I proved that Elmer's glue, which is all I had this morning, isn't the easiest way to glue the spacers lol.

My bullet connectors came in this week, so I will have my LHS put those on and possibly make some wire extensions. Getting closer to getting the car back on the road...

XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Are you installing a cap pack with the XL2? I didn't the first time but I will now.

RC Qualifier
    I thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger to buy one. What made you decide to go with one?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    When I popped my XL2, the guy at castle kept going on about one. If they are so important they should say so in the instructions imo. Either way, a cap pack is only 20 bucks so I figure cheap insurance. XO-1 has one on it stock.

RC Qualifier
    I see. I am waiting for Castle to respond to my e-mail about a few things.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    my LHS actually sells bigger cap packs then one castle has and recommended it but I still bought the castle one .. lol
    also make sure your LHS stock 8guage wire to make extension for wiring because none of the ones around me have it only special order .

RC Qualifier
    I will have to order some wire online when/if I order the cap pack. Here is an interesting response I received from Castle:

The XO-1 is a closed system, meaning it was designed specifically for the XO-1 vehicle. Any changes to the system will be out of warranty. Using an XL2 with a low cost/low quality motor not specifically designed for that vehicle will void the XL2 warranty. Because the XO-1 was designed to achieve a specific speed with a specific power system it is unlikely that the vehicle will go much faster with a different, and especially heavier, less efficient system.

The XL2 is a data logger and logs ‘Ripple Current’, the side effect of inadequate batteries on the ESC that causes damage. In fact, this is the number 1 killer of high energy ESCS. To use the data logger to determine if your batteries are adequate download the data from the ESC with your Castle Link, Highlight a run where the data lines are moving then divide average ripple by average voltage. The result should be 0.05 (5%) or lower. If it is over that your batteries are inadequate and will damage the ESC, how much over 5% determines how long this will take as each run over 5% ripple does small but incremental damage to the ESCS caps. A cap pack lowers ripple but you don’t want to use a cap pack to mask inadequate batteries. If your batteries are capable of giving you less than 5% ripple (1% - 2% is common with good and sufficient batteries) put on a cap pack as cheap insurance and to protect the ESC when the batteries start wearing out.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Stench -
    I recommend talking to either Joe or Thomas over at Castle. There is one guy there (not sure of his name) that doesn't know anything. He will just simply tell you that any malfunction is due to the lipo used. I'm currently running the 8.0mm castle bullets (ESC/Motor/Lipo's) with the cap pack on my 8s set-up. I have not pulled the logs from yesterday but the ESC is still in tact.

Here's a pic of the XL2 with the cap pack (the + ESC wire is kinked because I had the cap pulled to the side - it does not sit like this):

BennyG6-
    "also make sure your LHS stock 8guage wire to make extension for wiring because none of the ones around me have it only special order ."

Or you can forget the series harness if you're using bullet connectors. I've got the negative of the "drivers side" lipo (F bullet) going straight to the positive of the "passenger side" lipo (M bullet). It helps to further decrease resistance. You just have to be very careful when using the bullets so that you don't ground them out.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Stench -
    BennyG6-
    "also make sure your LHS stock 8guage wire to make extension for wiring because none of the ones around me have it only special order ."

Or you can forget the series harness if you're using bullet connectors. I've got the negative of the "drivers side" lipo (F bullet) going straight to the positive of the "passenger side" lipo (M bullet). It helps to further decrease resistance. You just have to be very careful when using the bullets so that you don't ground them out.
    That would be the ideal way todo it and wa tobe the way I was gonna go . I just stopped attempting hi speed runs and mainly use my 4S batts for trackin and all my cars and boats run traxxas plugs . Ive seen ppl running traxxas plugs and deans on 8S with no issues and have seen others whom the plastics melted so its a try at your own risk kind of deal i guess
    .btw Im curious seeing all these kershaw setups and no one posting top speed runs with them , when I had emailed kershaw back in the spring when he first came out with this setup he replied that " the car will deff do over 120MPH but now im led to believe that isnt true anymore . I dont think these low KV motors have enough rpms to take it over that unless your throwing more then 8S at it maybe 10S-12S .

Now that winter is almost here I sold my RTR xo-1 and had a brand new roller sitting in closet, XL2 and going to run the 2200 castle motor on 8S for one run hi speed . Just have to figure out the gearing . Everyone and their mommas tell me the motor will blow , but when I witnessed the XL2 with 2200 on 8S doing 140mph on a GTP2E then im convinced it will handle it on the xo-1 for one hi speed run

RC Qualifier
    Making one more shopping list. Let me know if there are other small things I should pickup this round:

Cap pack
    8 gauge wire
    Spare bullet connectors
    GTR Green Revo Springs (TRA5438)
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    Looking good, guys! Thanks for the compliments bringit!
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    .btw Im curious seeing all these kershaw setups and no one posting top speed runs with them , when I had emailed kershaw back in the spring when he first came out with this setup he replied that " the car will deff do over 120MPH but now im led to believe that isnt true anymore . I dont think these low KV motors have enough rpms to take it over that unless your throwing more then 8S at it maybe 10S-12S .
    I have not posted any results because everybody wants 3 video camera men, 10 gps units, and 20 radar guns here for verification. As you guys know, I've had issues with the XL2 ESC. I have gone back over the set-up and it is currently back up and running. The last failed ESC test results yielded a 25mph gain in top speeds over my 6s set-up at a 400ft test location (70mph 6s vs 95mph 8s - GPS/Radar). Keep in mind the 95mph run was only at about 60-70% throttle on worn down foams.

The 8s set-up makes this car insanely fast compared to the stock 6s set-up. From the experience I have with it so far, I believe this set-up is capable of doing a minimal speed of 120mph.

RC Qualifier
    I have not posted any results because everybody wants 3 video camera men, 10 gps units, and 20 radar guns here for verification. As you guys know, I've had issues with the XL2 ESC. I have gone back over the set-up and it is currently back up and running. The last failed ESC test results yielded a 25mph gain in top speeds over my 6s set-up at a 400ft test location (70mph 6s vs 95mph 8s - GPS/Radar). Keep in mind the 95mph run was only at about 60-70% throttle on worn down foams.

The 8s set-up makes this car insanely fast compared to the stock 6s set-up. From the experience I have with it so far, I believe this set-up is capable of doing a minimal speed of 120mph.
    Are you still using the stock motor? Castle told me I couldn't use the stock motor in 8s. I didn't know if they were blowing smoke or not.

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure he has the motor that is included in the Kershaw Designs setup

Ordered my parts today
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    I spend more time fixing mine than driving it..

RC Enthusiast
    Dying to see a run, I haven't seen an xo-1 over 105mph anywhere.
    Figured they would be eclipsing at least the 1/8 buggies that are for speed runs by now lol.
    What is holding them back?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
    dying to see a run, i haven't seen an xo-1 over 105mph anywhere.
    Figured they would be eclipsing at least the 1/8 buggies that are for speed runs by now lol.
    Kershaw Design

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandee View Post
    I spend more time fixing mine than driving it..
    lol. That's why I bought a new XO1 to do this set-up on. I got around to pulling the datalogs from testing the other day and ripple voltage looks to finally be stabilized with the addition of the 8.0mm connectors and cap pack. ESC temps have also dropped roughly 50 degree's.

If a set-up like this was easy then everybody would have one.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
    Dying to see a run, I haven't seen an xo-1 over 105mph anywhere.
    I personally haven't found a good spot to run yet and I have yet to get some 4s batteries. So, mine pretty much just sits on the shelf.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    You guys might want try going to your states DOT website. Maybe you can find some decent road construction projects nearby.

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a shortage of roads where I can run full speed around here, I just don't have a running car!

My parts arrived today so I am heading to my LHS in a few minutes to drop it off.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    I've got a great location that I run my XO1's at. I would ultimately like access to an airport runway but that's kind of out of the question for the airports where I'm located at.

I took the 8s set-up out for some shake down runs yesterday. I managed to clock low 100's (radar gun) at only 65% throttle. This car is retarded fast. I'm still getting used to the throttle trigger as it's pretty easy to lose control of the vehicle if you slam into the throttle. I'm strictly running the slicks on this set-up as the foams cannot seem to handle the power from the 8s without the rear breaking loose.