RC Qualifier

Help!!!!! MMP 2400 ESC problems

So today I take out my slash for some bash time turned on the Remote then turned on the truck.
    I got the first set of beeps that tells you what size lipo your running but I didn't get the second
    Set of beeps I am able to turn the front tires left and right but I don't have any forward or reverse
    Then all of a suddenly I get the second set of beeps. When I pull the throttle to give it power it stuters
    Sometimes it starts to act all crazy like its about to take off by itself it will stop pause then
    Acted up all over again... Does anyone have a clue what could be causing my ESC or Slash
    To be acting all crazy.. Oh sometimes I have to disconnect the wires and reconnect them in order to
    Be able to get the second set of beeps.... Hope you guys can help a Brother out.... Thk
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

I would open the rx box and make sure that the wires are plugged in good. Also you might want to rebind the esc to the radio. I hope this helps.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

If you are using a 27MHz, that might be the problem. For a 2.4GHz set, I'd follow El Sob's directions.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    So after many hours of pulling my hair out i finally figured out the reason for the problem
    i was having I need a BEC. funny how something so simple can big such a big pain. LOL
    Thanks El Sob and Petertje60 for your help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why do you need one is the one on the esc bad? Do you have too many extra loads, high voltage servo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Why do you need one is the one on the esc bad? Do you have too many extra loads, high voltage servo?
    YEP i got a good deal on a metal gear servo had no clue that is was high voltage servo. RC-Fan
    or any one else which BEC do you recommend i get that will help me with this issue.
    i have been looking at the Castle Creations CC BEC 10A Switching Regulator CSE010-0004-00
    and the Castle Creations CC BEC Pro 20A 12S Switching Regulator CSE010-0004-01
    from what i have read the 10A will do but the 20A will work also. I plan on running 4s later
    i just want to make sure i get a BEC that can handle the high voltage without any thought
    in my mind that i will have another issue. THoughts from all would be GREATLY APPRICATED.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sorry canīt help you with that, never needed or used one, my guess is the higher the better.

RC Champion
    Castle ccbec is all you need

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

I am using a MMP/2650 combo and a Savox 1258TG servo in my Pede and I never had problems. Not sure if a higher battery voltage makes a difference, but I used it on 3S and 4S.

RC Champion
    More often than not it depends what receiver you are using

Spektrums hate even the smallest voltage drops

Setting your steering EPA's correctly can also make a huge difference

Adding an external bec takes load off the ESC and it will run cooler, also protects against internal bec failure

For $25 its a no brainer, I run one of every ESC regardless of the brand

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Ok so I installed the castle BEC and I'm still having the same problem. Went to the park thinking
    I resolved my issue the first thing I noticed was when I turned on my slash I had no steering and
    No throttle so I unplugged the lipo and did the full throttle then brake then neutral with the remote
    Thing (I forget what you call it ) Anyho i got the throttle and steering working when I gave it gas it
    Hesitated, studdered then it took off. Ran it for a good ten minutes then it stopped I had steering but
    I had no throttle control after a minute it came back on I also noticed when the ESC reaches 125 and
    The motor reaches 115 that's when I loose all throttle control steering works tho so then I changed
    The lipo out thinking it was out of juice put the new lipo in turned it on and nothing again
    No steering no throttle control nothing... So I had to do the full throttle, full brake the neutral
    I really need to learn the name of the process I'm doing. LoL ran it again till I hit 125 and 115
    And I loose throttle control steering works but nothing else. Soooooo frustrating ....
    Has anyone had this issue happen to them?
    Or know what the might be causing the problem..
    I'm stumpped.... At a dead end.... Go straight to jail and do not pass GO....

Ou

What receiver are you using?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    What receiver are you using?
    The new traxxas remote without the docking station.

RC Champion
    What ESC settings are you using ?

Do you have the LVC set correctly ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    What ESC settings are you using ?

Do you have the LVC set correctly ?

Cheers
    LVC is set at 3.5 that was the only setting that I
    Changed in the ESC
    Last edited by CAGE410; 05-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Hmm. Maybe it is the battery that cant keep up with the amp hungry combo. Which one are you using?

RC Qualifier
    Hmm. Maybe it is the battery that cant keep up with the amp hungry combo. Which one are you using?
    Thats what i thought also but i tried all four Gens Ace Lipos from two 2s to two 3s
    and the problem still happens when i get to those temps 125 and 115. i even threw
    the lipos on the charger to check the status of each lipo and all good readings.
    i had the red wire that goes to the esc fan come off bashing but i sodiers it back on
    and it was good to go. crazy i can't figure this problem out

That wire to the fan might be causing something. Maybe on a higher temp it get shortened or something. Cant you try a different fan? Or try without it?

RC Qualifier
    Ill try that i have a spare fan somewhere but ill see if it shuts down with the fan unplugged

RC Qualifier
    Ok put a different fan changed out the motor and esc with the Wifey's truck ( The VXL and MMP Esc )
    changed out the batterys in the receiver. checked the receiver box to make sure i had the
    servo plugged into the second channel 1 port and the ESC into the channel 2 port
    Charged my 3s lipo everything check rebinded the receiver took her out 10mins into running
    the slash it stops no throttle i have steering but i can't move walked over to the RiG and the trottle
    came back OK? drove it again then it stopped again no throttle this time i stayed where i was at
    and maybe 1 or 3 mins and the throttle came back on..
    So i know its not the Motor or the esc or the lipos or a week battery in the receiver
    Any clues anyone im STUMPPED...

You seem to mix up receiver and transmitter. If I understand you correct, you put new batteries in the transmitter and the only thing you didnt change of the electronics are the servo and receiver. The servo must be ok, because you keep on having steering. So that makes the receiver suspect #1 of your problem. Steal your Wife's one and see if that makes the troubles disappear... Oh, and tell that you love her. That helps

RC Qualifier
    You seem to mix up receiver and transmitter. If I understand you correct, you put new batteries in the transmitter and the only thing you didnt change of the electronics are the servo and receiver. The servo must be ok, because you keep on having steering. So that makes the receiver suspect #1 of your problem. Steal your Wife's one and see if that makes the troubles disappear... Oh, and tell that you love her. That helps
    LOL OMG your too funny Yo.. i get them confused transmitter / Receiver just like binding and linking
    i gave the old transmitter to the wifey when i got the new traxxas transmitter her old transmitter
    had that super long anntena lol and i wouldnt forget to tell her i Love her...

Lol. If she has the 27MHz set, you have to try both transmitter and receiver to rule out the suspect #1.
    It's a weird problem in the end. Of all the 2.4GHz receivers in the house here (6 pieces) I never saw any failure. That doesn't mean it can't happen tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dyaugo View Post
    I won't say anything. Sorry
    You just did!

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    Ok put a different fan changed out the motor and esc with the Wifey's truck ( The VXL and MMP Esc )
    changed out the batterys in the receiver. checked the receiver box to make sure i had the
    servo plugged into the second channel 1 port and the ESC into the channel 2 port
    Charged my 3s lipo everything check rebinded the receiver took her out 10mins into running
    the slash it stops no throttle i have steering but i can't move walked over to the RiG and the trottle
    came back OK? drove it again then it stopped again no throttle this time i stayed where i was at
    and maybe 1 or 3 mins and the throttle came back on..
    So i know its not the Motor or the esc or the lipos or a week battery in the receiver
    Any clues anyone im STUMPPED...
    that's thermal. Remember..the castle thermal point is on the board.. not outside the case on the esc. I'd like to see a video. Then I could tell you for sure
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    that's thermal. Remember..the castle thermal point is on the board.. not outside the case on the esc. I'd like to see a video. Then I could tell you for sure
    what is the castle thermal?
    where can i find it on my Rig?
    What does it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    what is the castle thermal?
    where can i find it on my Rig?
    What does it look like?
    I think what vxlrocket means is the thermal protection on the ESC. Which would be weird in my opinion with a VXL motor hooked up to the MMP, because that is able to make the VXL motor cook without a sweat. Especially if it's the case with two different MMPs.

RC Racer
    Don't remember if you said you have a sensored motor but if you do check the sensor wiring. Mine was broken and couldn't tell because it looked OK at a glance but was acting weird and cutting out. Replaced it and it runs great after that. So now I always take a good look at it along with everything else that loosens and falls off. A reprogram with a castle link isn't a bad idea either.

Both the Velineon and Castle 2400Kv motors are not sensored.