Thread: Prop Test

RC Racer

Prop Test

I tried the 40 mm 3 blade from aquacraft supervee 27r , it said that it got 40 mm dia and 56 mm of pitch , so i tried it because i want a longer run time and doesn t care about a little lost of speed !!! The pond where i play is not very large so if i run at 50 mpu or 45 , it doesn't change anything , i can t drive it at full throttle !! The result was : - Harder to go on plane and a lot more hotter ESC !!! That s was the opposite that i got in my mind , you , smaller prop and smaller pitch suppose to give cooler temps ????

Could someone can tell why ?? And do you know if i can get a prop that will do what i want ( slower speed and longer run time )

With the stock setup( ESC , Motor , Prop) I got no temp problem, but i want a little more runtime !!

Thank s !
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i would just go with stock prop and bump the batts mah.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    You could go to a prather 215 or octura x442 and then double your batts. You would need a couple of battery parallel conectors but this would double your run time and with the added weight the boat would run the speeds you want.

RC Qualifier
    Not entirely certain why your temps would be higher.

One thought is that since these boats use a surface drive only about half the prop is in the water when on plane, So technically with a two blade prop at one point in each rotation of the prop, one blade is in the water, and one is out. With a three blade prop you would always have two blades, at least partially, in contact with the water. This may be creating extra load resulting in the higher temps..

My experience with three blade props being sluggish out the hole is the same as what you experienced. But the smaller diameter is also going to affect the ability to come out of the hole and onto plane quickly even with a two blade prop.

Try a smaller two blade prop if you like, or as suggested, stay with something close to stock and increase your battery capacity for longer run times.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 05-14-2012 at 07:44 AM.

RC Champion
    Three blade props increase the load on the motor which draws more current which creates more heat and higher temps.

And as hog stated. "My experience with three blade props being sluggish out the hole is the same as what you experienced. But the smaller diameter is also going to affect the ability to come out of the hole and onto plane quickly even with a two blade prop".

Stay with 42 mm prop and larger mah batteries for longer run times.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Thank s all you guys for your answer , i didn t think about the theory of the blade that touching the water more with the 3 blades but it made sense about the temp got up , more friction , more heat !! For me , the stock set up it s a good setup , but i just tried to take more of the battery i got , mean if i can have a little bit more in run time with a change of prop !! Getting higher battery mah , hum , i got 2 x 6000 mah and 2 x 8400 mah, so i think if i put bigger it will be a bit too heavy and the runtime will not change enought !!
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!