Thread: Et's and Speed

RC poster

Et's and Speed

Anyone have any times or speed yet...????

Is there a standard for distance in the 1/8 class?

1320/8=165'
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Enthusiast
    Suposed to have one or two show up for our race in Rockingham this Sat... but we only run 132ft...

Get some vids !
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Get some vids !

Yes I would like to see some too.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    I seen one run this weekend..

We run 132Ft. with VHT.. The best time was 2.7 sec at 132Ft ,, Thats very slow!!

The car is very unstable.. I wanted to get one before but I would not take one if it was given to me for free..

My 25Lb Baja run 132Ft in 2sec................

RC Racer
    The only good think I see about this car is that the body is killer and it will help to grow the sport..

Its for beginners..

RC Racer
    i believe this car can do much better then that. it hasnt been out a couple of weeks. they couldnt of have it dialed in that fast.

RC Qualifier
    The car is a bit unstable out of the box. I think I know why and I'm working on a fix. I think it has the capability to be pretty quick though. I raced it against my XO1 yesterday and the X couldn't keep up even on 2s. Untreated pavement. The XO1 just overpowers the track and gets crossed up. After working with the car a bit,, I could leave at about 2/3 power with a 2s battery.

RC poster
    I bet the Traxxas FC will work a LOT better on a treated track with treated foam tires, and some time getting the chassis dialed in. I bet there will be people get it close to the 2.00 mark, if not under it.

RC Enthusiast
    IF the car is onlt capable of a 2.5 sec run then that perfect for beginners.. they can run it in bracket.. or run it in their own class... we plan on offering a box stock Traxxas FC class.. on the battery is open to any 2-cell lipo... no other mods.. should make for a great class...

our club....
    www.carolinamodeldragseries.com

RC poster
    I like the idea of the box stock class but i am afraid the typical RC drag racing mind set and the Traxxas drag racing mind set may be too far apart. There are already people talking about throwing foam tires on the car. That IMO is bad. With glued foams traction is near unlimmited. The Traxxas car with rubber tire will never post the rediculous numbers the carbon fibre, foam tire cars that ALMOST look like scale drag cars can. But traxxas is obviously shooting for the new guy that probably never knew rc drag racing existed. They went much more for realism. To me the foams kill some of what traxxas was trying to do. If you are gluing foams there is no need for torque control. With marginal traction of real rubber tires it puts the run more in the "tunners" hands. Much more real world IMO. My personal hope is that the DTS-1 lights will allow for a lot of new competitors to join in. I'd love to see rc drag racing ran on prepped concrete with real rubber tires, like the big boys. I understand this would kill the set ups and the numbers the old skool foam tire contengant run but in all honesty the old skool RC drag contengant is a comparatively small demographic in the rc world. Traxxas has made a car and a staging system that can possibly grow RC drag racing like never before. It just a new challenge that requires different thinking.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-19-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast
    There are alot of small things you could do right out of the box to pick up a ton os speed on this car.. IF you know what to to.. and someone that has been r/c drag racing would know what to do.... This is a great intro kit for r/c drag racing and we dont want a new racer to come in and feel behind right from the get-go.... once we have a class set and a consistant number of cars racing with ur group then we will allow for a SECOND class to be offered that will allow for alterations....

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas needs to come out with a tire that has more of a drag compound. Even with a heavy burnout these things never get sticky. They may work well on the XO1, but they leave a little bit to be desired on this thing in my opinion.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Traxxas needs to come out with a tire that has more of a drag compound. Even with a heavy burnout these things never get sticky. They may work well on the XO1, but they leave a little bit to be desired on this thing in my opinion.
    The tires were the main reason I didn't get this car, Beside the fact I was going to gut the elections to make it more competitive.

Once I read it was the XO-1 tires,,, It was a big red flag for me. In drag racing the tires is ONE of the most important thing too make the car fast.

I will try and get some numbers for you guys tomorrow night, ET's and MPH.

RC Racer
    im sure it wont be long before aftermarket has some foam tires out there

RC Competitor
    well... in my opinion, Traxxas went with the XO-1 tire for the "realistic" approach.. 1, because you can do the "burnout" since theyre rubber.. and foam doesnt offer that effect.. 2, they "look" more realistic...

and i believe theyre better suited for where the majority of people will be using these... on "unconditioned" surfaces , and i dont believe foams offer any traction improvement without the use of additives , and if your gonna use those... you can use them on rubber also , theres all kinds of tire softeners available

RC Enthusiast
    We had one of the John Force cars make a run today with our club here in NC... with a 2-cell lipo it ran a 3.09 sec pass at 48 mph racers treid a 3-cell battery and it kicked up so hard that it broke the wheelie bar..lol.. when he got it settled down on the 3-cell it was very unstable thru the run..... 2-cell is the way to go with this car if you want ot have alot of fun... and yes this was a very experianced r/c drag racers.... but the car looked great... and drew a pretty big crowd all day.. will post a pic of it on the line a bit later....

Billy Weeks

RC poster
    Billy .. how many feet were they running to get the 3.09 pass....????

RC poster
    The cars don't appear to have a good front/rear balance. I know adding weight is never popular but the car needs more nose weight. On the YouTube videos the cars seem to have plenty of traction. They get on the wheelie too hard and unload to tires. A few ounces up front could actually help the first 6 ft

RC Enthusiast
    We run 132ft.. which is a 1/10th scale quartermile... the same format that most r/c drag clubs use.. unless they are quarterscale clubs....

The issue is not so much the weight balance of the car with a 3-cell battery as it is the movement of the front suspension... and hte amount of steering the car has.... a dual rate dial ot limit the amount of turning would be great. but.. since that radio doesnt offer it... stiffing up the front end would help a ton.....

but still its a great et and speed for beginners.... right within the average for bracket racing... and will be great that the car is that consistant when it comes to a heads up all Traxxas FC class... will all be in the drivers hands on the tree....

got to add also.. that the rubber rear tires hook up great ona a preped strip... was pleasntly suprised...

our event was filmed for the UNC-TV network which is our statewide version of PBS for the North Carolina Weekend show... find our facebook page for a look at the car sitting on the line...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 05-21-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: removed link to unauthorized site.

RC Qualifier
    i see alot of post about the car being unstable has anyone ever use a gyro like a drift boxs to help keep it straight
    emaxx 4092 1480kv motor 5s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    i see alot of post about the car being unstable has anyone ever use a gyro like a drift boxs to help keep it straight
    I'm not sure that would help. The front wheels are up in the air when mine goes off course...

I don't have any numbers to back it up, but mine seems so much better with about 3.5oz of weight in the front, rear shocks replaced by solid links and the differential locked with JB weld.

It is still an unstable mess with a 3S and high (over 60%) torque settings though.
    http://www.tunamaxx.com

RC Qualifier
    i dont know much about these cars other then they are cool looking with the real scale look but does it have a slipper clutch to adjust
    emaxx 4092 1480kv motor 5s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    …does it have a slipper clutch to adjust
    No, no physical slipper clutch. You can adjust the power output at the radio though. Low traction surface? Rotate the Multi-Funtion knob down for less torque. High traction surface? Crank the knob for more torque and wheelies!

I agree though; these are GREAT looking scale models.
    http://www.tunamaxx.com

RC Qualifier
    And how fast would this be compared to a 4wd stampede with 4s and 2400kv system built for drag.

RC Enthusiast
    We had the best showing of the Traxxas FC at our Carolina Model Drag Series saturday.... after adding the weight to the front end... stiffing the front up ALOT.... and locking the dif up with JB Weld..... AND... heres the odd thing... one of the rear RUBBER tires got a rip in it.. the owner of the car peeled off all the rubber on both tires and ran the foam "insert" in side on the car.. and ran a 2.67 sec run at 54 mph on our 132ft r/c drag strip... the car ran strait .. left hard and did very well.....

we had two more at the trakc but did not run them... but after looking at the changes made on this one car.. they were going to make the same ones and come bakc for the next event.....

its taking some work but the results are getting alot better for the cars on preped r/c drag strips....

RC Enthusiast
    Thats cool i would love for these to take off kinda like a heas up spec class

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
    Anyone have any times or speed yet...????
    Straight out of the box with a 3s lipo on a crappy road it gets up to 40mph easily. With a smoother surface I'm sure it'll do more, but on the road I ran on I can't hold full throttle for more than a second or it gets squirrelly on me. Time to hit up a Walmart parking lot I guess. With the camera mounted in front of the blower and a good 5-6 second burnout I can however, do full torque, full throttle pulls with no problem now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSG_gCtvEk&sns=em
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 07-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by billy Weeks View Post
    The issue is not so much the weight balance of the car with a 3-cell battery as it is the movement of the front suspension... and hte amount of steering the car has.... a dual rate dial ot limit the amount of turning would be great. but.. since that radio doesnt offer it... stiffing up the front end would help a ton.....
    Steering Dual rate can be adjusted through the multi function knob on the transmitter. You just have to use the menu of the radio to set the knob to the steering % (dual rates).

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterm4 View Post
    Steering Dual rate can be adjusted through the multi function knob on the transmitter. You just have to use the menu of the radio to set the knob to the steering % (dual rates).

One of the first things we did.... once the owner of the car figured out what we were telling him... but that wasnt the only fix needed... we found alot more to do to get the car to a compeditive r/c drag car for bracket racing.... consistant... that is...lol

we are almost to a point where the Traxxas FC will have its own class to run in a heads up format. our group set the guide lines of 4 cars to make a class... and right now we have 3...

RC Enthusiast
    I have one

RC Qualifier
    I cant get mine to go straight enough to make a good et pass my best in 165 feet was a 3.55 @ 50 mph my friend has a electric jato and he goes 3.10@ 64 mph whats wrong with that picture

RC Racer
    Finally tested my Funny car for the first time....with no traction/track prep, I was able to click off a few 2.6's @ 58-60mph in 132ft. This was with the LC set to about 50% and coming out VERY soft to stay hooked.....I think with some good track prep I should see 2.3-2.2 @ around 65-67mph?....only time will tell...but for the first time out I am very pleased!...heres a short video illustrating just how conservative I had to be on this dirty concrete stretch...i could not get into the throttle untill half track!...

Running 3s and 19t pinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0rZRd42zGE

RC Racer
    Update: Went out again tonight and at the same spot I was able to run a 2.44@66mph .....this is still with no track prep...but its pretty dialed in for the unprepped concrete. wheelie bar got a workout ...haha!

This was with 60% LC power .......I believe she has a 2.2 in her at over 70mph!.....just need some solid track prep and suspension tuning.