Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    I drive my cars in a secret underground layer.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    To the OP: I recommend you find a better place for your son to drive. Kids can be terrible sometimes, just unbelievable. Besides that, I personally tell people sorry, but its expensive. I sometimes let the familiar neighborhood kids drive for a few mins under intense supervision. I always make sure to talk to them first, say hey, you can't just pull the throttle. They don't have that knowledge in the back of their head that maybe your gearing is tall for the grass and you need to take it easy and keep temps down, or you don't want scratches on that new body. Those things are a lot more obvious when repairs come out of your own budget. I LOVE training mode for this reason. They can't just punch it and get the same results damage wise. I also answer questions. I like to talk to people and give suggestions as long as they are respectful.

RC Competitor
    Try to find a park or school and drive their in the middle of the day.

RC Champion
    i usually have the same issue so i just bring out the rusty and leave it beside me for one of the neighbor hood kids to drive. The kids in my area are pretty good so even if i say no they will just sit and watch.

Like i seen mentioned in a few posts let em dive it for a min. Take it to the school pop it in training mode and explane to them that if they break it you are going to be going to see their parents for the repairs as they are expensive. Usually when you do that they are pretty good with it. the way i look at it is their parents cannot afford or refuse to pay 300 for a toy so this is something they may never experience. But yet these same parents will spend $1500 - $3000 on a pedal bike for them that just gets beat up anyway..hehe

RC Qualifier
    Like others I straight up say no it's too expensive and it's too fast. The things that really makes mee soooo mad was the day after I got my new mmp esc I was in this green belt and driving when all the sudden these kids come out with there water guns spraying it and trying too spray the car ( they did get it wet but didn't ruin it ) the best thing yet was the parents were laughing at them and just watching as they chase the car and practically egging them on. I just stopped and left before I went nuts.

RC Champion
    I run in a variety of places and occasionally I have someone ask if they can drive it. The answer is always the same.. NO... I explain why and that usually works just fine. Mostly I get how much and how fast. In my experience most kids have seen these before and they know they are not toys and are quite expensive. Funny enough, I've never had any kids to the best of my older memory try and chase the vehicles. Once they see them run, there is no chance of catching it on foot let alone even a bike. I have more problems with kids when I fly than when running ground r/c.. For whatever reason when I fly my helicopters or planes a kid will always get too close.. I just shut it down and pack up.. Not going to risk hurting someone or even crashing.. Not worth it!!!
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I have had experience with this and actually made a similar thread lol but to the point... DONT LET THEM DRIVE IT! they have absolutely no respect for the car they just want to play with a cool new toy that they've never seen before...don't let them use it unless they totally agree to pay for it or you trust them/like/know them really well. They WILL hold the throttle wide open and they WILL crash it...it also sounds like you have a couple of brats following you around...I think if you want them to leave your son alone you need to make them loose interest in your car...you could let them try a slow car if you can make one or something you don't really care about or get creative to make them loose interest if possible
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Luckily most of the kids that come around here wanting to drive my RC cars...are the 16-16 year old friends of my son. I've known most of these kids for about 10 years...and they know that if they break something...they have to pay for it.
    As for strangers...kids or adults...not going to happen.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    I'm that neighborhood teen with the cool rc truck, every single kid asks me if they can drive it.... I tell them to give me a $600 deposit, then they go tell their parents that I bully them, lol. The only people I let drive my truck is my friends that already have an rc, and even them I am nervous that they will break something. Just find an abandoned lot or something and run there....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Interesting but happens quite often. Any park I go to. On the other hand on my block they just watch they wont ask me to drive. In the park I have in countered kids trying to race it use the RC. I also have encountered the one who think is ok to try to touch it. I usually give them a stern look and tell them no.. Followed by its pretty expensive, do you have the money to pay for it??
    I think most comments are right kids don't understand that these are expensive and if you buy it in the hobby store you are going to be close to 500 bucks..
    maybe they think is the 50 buck radioshack ones..
    I dont trust many people driving it ... because they usually dont have money to cover any damages

RC Qualifier
    I only let a select few drive my summit, although they're almost impossible to break some people who have no idea how to drive will find a way. As for dealing with people I will usually just say no but if they want to keep going on I'll tell them off.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

I have a bunch of little kids watching me and chasing my RC's out at the lake. Oldest of them is only 7 or 8.
    So it sucks when i tell them no you cant drive it.

Im gonna build an RPM edition Slash2wd over the winter.
    No you cant drive this ERBE that weighs as much as it does and will do 60mph.
    But here's a 6 lb slash that will be geared to do about 20-25mph. Dont drive it into the lake.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

Lets face it, RC trucks ARE cool expensive toys and are kid-magnets. So, you have to learn to deal with kids, both good and bad.

Simple, you must be the adult. Using a parent's voice, tell the kids to stop running in front of the truck and stop putting things in its way. Just like a lot of people of said, tell then that they WILL get hurt by the truck if they do not stay out of its way. Some parents might get their nose bent out of shape, but I have had parents thank me for looking after their kids.

Only twice have I had issues where I had to stop running my trucks completely:

My neighbor's dogs were out on the road in front of the house, their are good dogs, but my RCs really upset them. So, when they are out, I would run my trucks on the road behind my house. As I was running my 4x4 Slash a neighbor came home with their four young kids, they waved and went inside, leaving the kids outside to watch. They started to chase the truck, I told them to stop because they might get hurt, but they could stand by me if they wanted to watch. They watched for a couple of minutes then asked if they could run it, I said that it was a little too fast for them. About 30 seconds later I felt the controlled getting pulled from my hand, I looked down and the youngest kid (about 6 y/o) was trying to pull my DX3R out of my hand and started screeming, "Its my turn!". That was when I stopped and packed everything in.

A couple of years ago, when I lived in Navy Housing, there was a special needs kid that lived a few houses down that would chase my E-Maxx. No matter how stern I was with the kid, he would always try to chase it, so when the kid was out, I wouldn't run. I talked to the kids mother a couple of times, telling her that my RC was heavy and armed with titanium skid plates would hurt her kid if it hit him. She didn't seem too concerned. One day I was out, running my Maxx up and down the street, suddenly the kid jumped out from beind a car and caught my Maxx running at full speed. A first I thought I had killed the kid, after he and the Maxx stopped rolling, the E-maxx drove away, the kid just layed there, not moving. The mother came out screaming her idiot head off, saying I had killed he child. The kid started moving, she took him to the hosipital and called security. What actually saved my butt was the mother saying that she saw her kid hiding behind the car and throught it was cute, she never thought he'd be fast enough to catch my truck. After that, I wouldn't run my E-Maxx if they were home, or I'd go to the ball park.

Animals:
    You can't reason with them like you can a kid, if I have a chaser, like my neighbor's dogs, I simply don't run them at all.

I had an AE RC18 a while back that the feral cats liked watching. One day a brave cat decided it had watched enough and attacked the little truck running at full speed, it didn't take long before it decided that was a bad idea.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 09-03-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    I don't have kids out where I live that chase it, let alone watch.. I live in the country.. We did just get new neighbors and I think I've seen them out once just watching from their front steps watch me do 50+ up and down the road..never have they asked about it and I'm ok with that..

However, at a park across town on Labor Day, I was drifting in the stampede on 3S in a ball field, just having a good time.. And these 3 kids come over, I'd say around 12-14, at the most... The one ask if its electric, I simply reply yes.. He then goes on to tell me that he has the exact same, one with the exact same body and tires, etc.. I mind you I'm running a stretched stampede with a maxx body on that's gotta be 10 years old, at least.. He asked how fast it goes..60 it can do..him, mine can do 65! I go up the way to the pavement turn around and come back, geared 19/86 with 3800 CC, doing 45 ish..him OH HERE IT GOES 60, THATS SOOOO FAST, OHHH!!!! So annoying... Here's the best part of all... He then then tells me that he once wrecked it and broke this part (pointing to the shock) and how it costs 400$$ to get it replaced...400 bucks will buy you a butt load of shocks, I don't care how what they are, big bores, power stokes, etc.. By this time I knew he was bluffing but went along with it.. watch me finish the pack, a good 25 mins... Then I left.. I did have an adult sitting on a bicycle just watching.. When the battery died he went, AWWW..
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    i dislike those types of kid's just wrecks what your at the area for
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

I think I may have mentioned it before in this thread, but asking for a cash deposit in the full amount for what you spent on the truck will let anyone know that these vehicles, even know they are toys, are a serious investment. I have never had anyone come up with the deposit in the 3+ years I have employed this practice, but have gotten to talk more in depth with newbies explaining how little or how crazy the expense of these rc's can be...

As far as the kid that cant stop chasing my rc, I can outrun him for a 1/4 mile in any direction, make him exercise, tire him out, sit down, and then start asking questions. I am happy to answer it all, and tire them out again. Quick as can be, but they cant catch me. 8). The few posts I have seen here that say to turn around and hit the kid really tick me off... Dont be an idiot, nothing personal, but dont be an idiot.
    Last edited by rag6; 09-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The few posts I have seen here that say to turn around and hit the kid really tick me off... Dont be an idiot, nothing personal, but dont be an idiot.
    As they say, boys will be boys!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^^1/16th scale e-revo
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

This thread as been cleaned up some. Any more suggestions of dangerous counter measures or acts that may cause injury to someone and this thread will get shut down. Let's not go there
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I run my Rc's so much all of the neighborhood kids and adults lost interest a long time ago. Now the only time anybody seams interested is when I'm doing speed runs or trying a new stunt with my helicopter. I think they just want to see me crash.

RC Racer
    i have a few neighbors that are a little older that ask to play with it. I tell them i would, but on one condition; if they break something, they will take me to the LHS using their gas and car, and buy me the new parts for the car. This usually makes them still use it, but use it a lot carefully. I once had someone who asked to use it, and he ended up breaking 2 CVD's.

at that moment, i took the controller back, turned it off, and made him drive me to my LHS. He wasnt very happy with it, but i told him the consequences if he did break anything. He didnt realize how expensive the parts are. He hasnt asked to use it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    i have a few neighbors that are a little older that ask to play with it. I tell them i would, but on one condition; if they break something, they will take me to the LHS using their gas and car, and buy me the new parts for the car. This usually makes them still use it, but use it a lot carefully. I once had someone who asked to use it, and he ended up breaking 2 CVD's.

at that moment, i took the controller back, turned it off, and made him drive me to my LHS. He wasnt very happy with it, but i told him the consequences if he did break anything. He didnt realize how expensive the parts are. He hasnt asked to use it ever since.
    I let my buddy's kids run my Slash, they broke the front bumper and he freaked out. I told him it was know big deal, I assumed something was going to get broke, and this is why I buy hobby-grade RCs. He offered up money, but I refused.

I assume that I will likely break something everytime I run my trucks, I KNOW something will get broke when I hand over the controller to someone else. As suchs, I am taking on that responsibility for repair when I turn the controller over.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Only friends family or adults. My friends understand that they get one breakage free. after that, its on them. and they drive it really slowly. Then when I tell them they can hit full throttle, into the curb it goes and out fly pieces of bulkhead lol. they never want to drive it again.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Competitor
    Luckily I live in the country far away from neighbors, so only when I want to run it in town at a relative's house there are kids that watch. I need to tell them my signature if they ask to run it... The only downside is there's no concrete for miles
    Start with a stick pack and work your way up, kid

RC Racer
    So far I haven't had anyone ask to drive any of my land cars. One neighbor kid likes to watch me run, he comes over and will ask a few questions, but never has asked to drive it. I have actually asked him if he wanted to drive it. He has shown me he is respectful and behaves very well for a middle school kid these days. I'm not worried at all though letting someone else that behaves and shows respect drive my trucks. If they can manage to break something then it needed to be upgraded anyways is the way I look at it. Watching a kid have fun that appreciates the opportunity to play with something that he or his parents can't afford is worth the monetary risk for me.

Now when I run my boats its a different story. For some reason when I get them out it's like every dis-respectful kid in the county comes to see and ask if they can play with. The boats are a little too breakable to let someone with no experience play with so I just tell them sorry, but no. I try to talk with them though if they are interested in talking. If I get tired of them I just tell them its not running right and I need to tune on it. Basically just bore them to death until they leave me alone.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerss1 View Post
    One neighbor kid likes to watch me run, he comes over and will ask a few questions, but never has asked to drive it. I have actually asked him if he wanted to drive it. He has shown me he is respectful and behaves very well for a middle school kid these days. I'm not worried at all though letting someone else that behaves and shows respect drive my trucks.
    This ^. I don't really have a problem with kids/adults driving my bash truck, cause that's all I do with it. Adults that I trust get the full tx with a brief how-to. The kids usually get to steer while I'm barely on the throttle and coaching them. They usually enjoy chasing it and just end up watching it run and jump long before my batteries die.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm only 15 so kids always come up to me and ask to drive it. I tell them to drive my friends Rustler (every part is either RPM, Pro-Line or Jconcepts) and it's indestructible. He drove the non-waterproof Castle SCT combo into a lake and it still works ahah. I tell the kids that mine is very expensive and hard to drive and I don't let them drive it. I always run 3s packs, and I let a kid drive it once, and he drove it straight into my leg, then he turned around and accidentally hit full throttle in reverse and backed up into himself with the Badlands a full speed! Ouch(for both of us). I haven't let a kid touch it since then.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    I'm 17 and I tell the smaller kids that my batteries are dying... Or that it has a problem. I rarely let someone else drive my Summit and me only on my Spartan!
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    Wow. What is wrong with people. One time, I was just driving one of my nitros at the park, and I saw one of my buddies with his family. Well, the little 8 year old wants to try so I decided to let him have a go, after all, I know his family. So he hits a tree and smashes the bumper and a a-arm. Guess what they did? Just said "Oh, I am sorry, here's your controller." They didn't pay for it. While these vehicles can be considered toys, many people take it too far and treat them as such. Well at that time, that nitro was worth 400 bucks, and I am pretty lucky that they didn't seriously damage something, I was upset. From that point on I haven't let anyone drive my trucks and cars unless I personally know the limits of their responsibility (and wallet). When I go out driving by the local Elementary School, half the kids end up following me around and asking to drive. I just say no. When they ask why, I say it is an expensive hobby-grade item and that if they want to drive, either ask for one for Christmas or hand me the car's worth in money before they drive. After that point, they usually say that they have tons of experience with this kind of thing and that they are very good drivers. If they say that, just ask them what brand of car they own and watch them crane their necks to see your vehicle. I just don't trust people as much as I would like. This one kid kept telling me to deliberately crash my Rusty VXL into a wall. Imagine letting him drive! If they keep asking, I just ask to see their parents/guardians or go somewhere else. I am actually pretty lucky with kids behavior-wise where I live, but there are some instances like the one I mentioned before where I get unlucky. I have never had anyone try to run it over though. That is just plain ridiculous. On the other hand, kids will be kids, and they can't always be perfect. Mostly for me they just like to watch.
    Last edited by hobbyclassrc; 10-06-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You know what I don't understand... why so many kids think its O.K. to ask... I would never ask a person if I could drive their expensive stuff... even if it was a toy. But today kids don't know what is appropriate. And it just sucks that their parents poor parenting skills have led the the OP's son not having fun with his sweet new truck.

Those parents should be ashamed... but they wont be. They'll blame someone else.

I agree......... sometimes I don't mind though. Kids will be kids.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I'm 17 and I tell the smaller kids that my batteries are dying... Or that it has a problem. I rarely let someone else drive my Summit and me only on my Spartan!
    For my Spartan I tell them that one of the batteries could fallout.