RC Enthusiast

Servo acting goofy....is it my ESC?

Hi all. I had put my mini revo away for awhile. Bought some brand new **** 3s lipos for it...stock motor and stock esc, stock servo. I charged up batts and went for a run. Servo was acting goofy. Turns one way ok...the other is all jerky. Bought a brand new hitec 5085mg... same thing. It will turn sometime...most of the time its real jerky...wont hold when turned all the way. Could this be my esc? Maybe not passing enough voltage to servo? Would a new sv 2 take care of this issue?

It is more likely that it is your receiver or transmitter causing the goofy behaviour. A good test might be reversing the steering and see if it moves to the other side.
    Another issue might be your steering system that is binding. Does everything turn smooth when you disconnect the horn from the servo?
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I did reverse servo and troubled moved to the other side. What does that indicate? Will try new batts. In transmitter. No binding in steering...its silky smooth...went over all that with fine tooth comb while waiting for lipos to arrive.

have heard the sv2 is finnicky with it's bec....

i run a mmp which is supposed to be better

however, it does sound like you might have an esc issue if it is both servos doing it

You could try the other port of channel 1 on your receiver to see if that makes a difference. If the steering only acts weird to one side and it moves over when you reverse steering, I doubt the ESC causes it.

RC Enthusiast
    i tried other port on channel 1...same deal. New batts in transmitter made no difference. Both sides are jerky...one side a little worse then the other. Guess i can pull radio from big brother...

Hard one. What type of TX/RX to your have? 2.4GHz or 27MHz? I heard about people have trouble with Castle controllers and 27Mhz.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok...so I got it figured out...thanks to Petertje60. I hooked up esc and servo, to radio of big erevo. No jerkyness. So it was the radio...just for giggles, I bound the mini's transmitter to big brother's radio. Jerkness returns! Bound big brother's tx to mini's radio, hooked up mini's esc and servo back to mini's radio...everything fine! It was mini's transmitter the whole time! I have the old style 2.4 traxxas radios, so I'll have to re-bind my one good transmitter to each revo's radio every time i want to drive the other truck. Bummer. 1/10 not so hard, but mini's radio cover is a pain to take on and off. Anybody got a traxxas 2.4ghz tx for sale?

Glad you figured it out. Good luck finding a Tx. Maybe eBay is a good place to look, or even closer, the Marketplace on this forum.