RC Enthusiast

Help, boat wont get on plane, or run wort a crap

Hello all, i have a brand new spartan that has been run on two outtings that went fine. Now the boat wont get up to speed and is really weak on power......and yes the batteries are charged, ecu is set up for lipos, its in sport mode, and throttle has be set to get full throttle. Called the support line and thats all they could recommend. The closet hobby town is 40mins away and dont really want to drive there unless i need to

any help would be great, the pond out back it calling my name!
    Thank you!

Also looking for a trailer or plans to build one

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    are you still using the stock nihm batteries? if so, you need to switch your ESC to Nihm Mode and if you get it right the LED light should be RED.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Did you flip the boat and get any of the electronics wet? If you did you may have gotten water in the receiver box. Take it apart and dry it out.

RC Enthusiast
    No, Im running on lipos, and the nihm stock batteries, and the boat has been flipped but has since had a new receiver and is all dry

RC Qualifier
    sounds like its in training mode
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Champion
    Try rebinding your xmitter to the reciever again...And then reset all settings to factory default... Let us know if you get it running right.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    How do i do that???

RC Champion
    You will need to remove the water proof receiver cover first....

To rebind- press and hold the xmitter's set button and then turn on the xmitter. The xmitters LED will flash slowly then release the set button.
    Press and hold the receivers link button as you plug in a set of fresh batteries, release the link button. The xmitter and receivers LED"S should turn solid green. If not rebind...make sure the steering and throttle work before restoring to factory defaults.

Restore factory defaults- Hold the menu & set button on the xmitter, turn on the xmitter then release the menu and set button, the xmitter LED should blink red. Press the menu button once and the xmitter LED will blink red twice repeatedly. Now just press the SET button to clear any previous settings and then the LED should turn green......and the xmitter will or should be restored to factory defaults for a Spartan.......

Hope this does the trick for you.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    No sir,, that didnt work,,,, evrything works, but boat is still really weak

RC Champion
    Does the motor spin at very high rpm when at full throttle when not connected to the driveline? Have you checked to make certain that the prop is securely attached to the drive dog, no cracks in the prop. Does the prop and flex shaft turn freely when not connected to the motor?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    The motor does spin pretty fast, but dont really don know what to compare it too, the shaft does spin free when not contected to the the motor, and the prop and dog drive seem to be ok. I posted something on OSE, and someone said that Traxxas has problem with the ESC, could that be an issue.....thank you so much for helping me

RC Champion
    The motor should have a real high pitch with no load at 35,000 + rpm. And yes to the speed control being an issue....As that is all that is left that will effect motor speed.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Same situation and problem on mine, I keep on rebinding it but the rpm is the same, I run thru the lake the speed was so slow and the receiver Was blinking red rapidly but the esc is responding with the xmiter?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    You will need to remove the water proof receiver cover first....

To rebind- press and hold the xmitter's set button and then turn on the xmitter. The xmitters LED will flash slowly then release the set button.
    Press and hold the receivers link button as you plug in a set of fresh batteries, release the link button. The xmitter and receivers LED"S should turn solid green. If not rebind...make sure the steering and throttle work before restoring to factory defaults.

Restore factory defaults- Hold the menu & set button on the xmitter, turn on the xmitter then release the menu and set button, the xmitter LED should blink red. Press the menu button once and the xmitter LED will blink red twice repeatedly. Now just press the SET button to clear any previous settings and then the LED should turn green......and the xmitter will or should be restored to factory defaults for a Spartan.......

Hope this does the trick for you.
    I did this 50X the xmiter and receiver bInds but evertime I turn off the esc and put the battery again it was blinking red rapidly! Do I have a problem with my receiver? Can't call traxxas CS cause I live here in Canada, and the CS were only for US Residents, I don't want to end up going to my LHS again because I still have my Revo 3.3 sleeping on their racks and haven't done in 3weeks...

RC Champion
    It still sounds like a link failure.....If you had the old system that had the over temp sensor I would venture to say it was over a temp condition but I don't think that is the case here.

You did say that the fast red blinking light was coming from the receiver correct? And the new receiver you installed was a brand new one?

What is the modle # of the new receiver you installed? 2218X or other?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    stupid question but did you recalibrate your esc and transmitter, Im not talking about binding them, im talking about like in the manual on page 16 in the right hand side of the page where it says..... setup programing(calibrating your esc and transmitter)
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    It still sounds like a link failure.....If you had the old system that had the over temp sensor I would venture to say it was over a temp condition but I don't think that is the case here.

You did say that the fast red blinking light was coming from the receiver correct? And the new receiver you installed was a brand new one?

What is the modle # of the new receiver you installed? 2218X or other?
    Orca I think your talking to Mrproc, Anyway I went in the Lake today what I did is link the xmiter to receiver by doing this press setup then on xmiter will blink red slowly then press link on the receiver before I plug the battery and there sOlid green light on
    Both receiver & xmiter, I make a few turns on the Boat after a sudden, it went to slow again so I bring it back to the shore to check what is wrong, geez! The fast red blinking light on the receiver came back again, the boat is not even out of range, just around 300ft on me, my receiver is a 2218x, please help!?

RC Champion
    If you have anothe esc that can handle 6s test your boat with that.... The symptoms you describe though indicate low voltage in the receiver triggering the fail safe mode which is allowing just enough power for the boat to return to shore.

When this has happened to me it has always been the batteries...The batteries that caused this to happen are still useable in rc cars but not in the boats where current demand is so high.

Another thing to try is when the boat looses power, wait about 1 minute or so and then apply full throttle and see if high speed has returned.

You should check the individual cell voltage of each battery to be sure that one cell or more is not below the cut off point...No lower than 3.2 volts per cell. And when fully charged you should have 4.20 volts per cell.

Believe me... these boats will make short work of a battery that is inefficient.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Well the lipos where both balanced before all this started, and the stock batts where fresh as well...but as we speak ol girl is on her way to Topeka KS. to be handed over the great Traxxas guys. I'm sure they have a fix. I'll let you know what they say.

RC Champion
    Do they (Traxxas) have a service center in Topeka? I thought the service center was in Texas. How much turn around time is estimated?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas has a display at NHRA races, and the guys at CS go to the races and run the display.

RC Champion
    Are they going to fix it while you wait?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    M going to the race any ways for work, so ill give it to them sometime tomorrow and just get it when they are done

RC Qualifier
    Mrproc good for you, I did mine was swapped the receiver from my Summit, I opened the receiver from my spartan and look still wet! The receiver box is not watertight.

RC Champion
    The Traxxas water proof receiver enclosure can and will keep water out for the most part if you just apply a generous amount of the silicone grease they provide, on the blue gasket and fill the area where the wires enter the receiver enclosure. You can also use dialectric grease and will greatly increase the ability to keep the water out.

I do this on my rc vehicles as well as the boats and has served me well....have not had to replace a receiver for over a year now.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    If I can ever to run like a speed boat and not a Jon boat I will do that..