RC Qualifier

Center Driveshaft Cover modification

Don't you just hate it when your bashing sections cut short by sand or rock getting into your center driveshaft and damaging parts whether that is a spur/pinion gear, driveshafts, or whatever that maybe? Or don't you just hate the freaking sounds from the sand jam-off from your driveshafts?

I follow a post from the 'Low Maintenance Thread' thread, where people use CF tube (http://www.aprohobbies.com/carbon-fi...port-p-55.html) to cover the center driveshaft.
    So I ordered 2 for both slash and stampede, below is my modification for stampede:

New and scratched-up driveshafts, Tube after cutting (I realized that the tube is a little shorter than I should have been),:

Drill a little to widen the hole in order for the tube to fit, just a little so that it holds the tube snugly:

How it looks after installing,
    Bottom - because I cut the tube a little short, it doesn't cover the whole driveshaft. I will need to add the additional length later.

I am happy with the mod, and it's really a working solution as I tried a full 5400mAh, 50C today with no freaking sound from jam-off
    Last edited by hskb; 05-10-2012 at 01:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like a good idea. I might just have to do that.
    I blame it all on speedpede09

RC Qualifier
    According to that 2nd pic your rear bulkhead is not sitting right. You might want to check that out. It could let dirt in.
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 05-10-2012 at 04:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Koda, I fixed the misaligned bulkhead.

RC Qualifier
    This post shall be revived!!!
    I did this mod 6 month ago and since, not a single rock damaged my drive shaft. I recently changed something in this mod, I shortened the tube, because the chassis of the stampede is a bit flexible and the carbon tube was rubbing the shaft...

Drilling the hole (used 1/2 drill bit)

Putting the carbon tube the closest to the front drive hub without touching it

making sure everything is aligned before glue (I used hot glue under the carbon tube)

The shaft can still ''move'' inside the tube without touching it.

This mod + a shroud cover (I have a dusty motor one) = Bullet proof stampede!!!! As you see in the first pic, I put hot glue around the servo. Result= No dust, mud, snow, nothing get inside the stampede! Maybe a bit of water, but the drain hole take it off.
    hskb, you did an essential mod! thanks!

Nice man where would i pick up the cf tube from? ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Thanks rag was half asleep when i wrote that post dude but will look into it because its a great idea...peace

RC Competitor
    Hey emman, not sure if you saw my post, but based on your suggestion I did this mod last week and it is slick. I took some pics, but have not posted yet.
    The only issue I had was that my servo linkage underneath started hitting the carbon fiber. The linkage was super close to the stock shaft as well so I adjusted the servo end point.

Thanks again for suggesting this.

I also did the fiberglass tape and Goop body mod today.
    Getting it all ready for my boy !!! :-)

RC Competitor
    Also I'm upgrading to a Tekno Big Bone shaft outdrive/cups so I will let everyone know how that works with this mod.
    Worst case is I have to pull the CF tube back some to make room for the front cup.

RC Qualifier
    Yes I saw your post! It is weird that your servo linkage hit the tube, since mine is close but don't touch anything. I'm curious to see if this mod fit the tekno big bone!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Yes I saw your post! It is weird that your servo linkage hit the tube, since mine is close but don't touch anything. I'm curious to see if this mod fit the tekno big bone!
    I'm thinking about re-centering my servo and adjusting all my rods so I can gain the bit of steering I lost.
    That won't be fun.... I guess I'll count all the rod turns as I move them.

RC Qualifier
    just ordered a red shroud. Thanks

RC Competitor
    So is this probably the best mod to keep dirt/sand out of the pinion spur area? I'm blaming some recent issues on too much dirt getting in there without me realizing it.

I did do the neoprene mod as I had the stuff handy at the time but I'm not sure if I like it for the long term.

Does the drive shaft cover fit with this mod? I suppose I wouldn't need it though - I already have shrouds on the stampedes.

Thanks.

The driveshaft cover will not fit and not be needed so job done......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jason26 View Post
    So is this probably the best mod to keep dirt/sand out of the pinion spur area? I'm blaming some recent issues on too much dirt getting in there without me realizing it.

I did do the neoprene mod as I had the stuff handy at the time but I'm not sure if I like it for the long term.

Does the drive shaft cover fit with this mod? I suppose I wouldn't need it though - I already have shrouds on the stampedes.

Thanks.
    I don't know about the neoprene mod?
    As I said, this mod + shroud cover + hot glue around servo = best thing for no dirt, mud or snow. You can also fill the drain hole with hot glue in the rear bulkhead to avoid any dust coming from these holes into the pinion/spur.
    Last edited by emmanhello; 04-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    ... for the fun of excess!