Thread: new to the game

RC poster

new to the game

hey, i am new to traxxas, been running my merv vxl for bout 3 weeks. im thinking that my motor is getting too hot, what is the normal temp. im running dual 1600 venoms (nimh). is that why its getting so hot? i bought a fan and heatsink for it but havent got it yet. will it make a big difference? ill gladly take all the advice i can get, these cars are awesome, i believe im hooked. just cant learn fast enough. thanks
    Last edited by jeremydebeaux; 05-08-2012 at 08:58 PM.

RC Racer
    welcome to the forums
    Motor: 180 or less
    ESC: 150 or less
    are you running them in parallel or series connector?
    the fan will not make that much of a difference

watch the language, you might get a mark if you dont hurry and change the ba word.

RC poster
    sorry,bout that. i run a series connector most of the time. we like to run on the oval dirt track alot. but it does get extremely hot (to the touch anyway). sure dont want to mess anything up.

RC Racer
    thats your problem. never run series for long periods of time. run parallel. you will go slower but have longer run times and safer motor/esc temps.

get a temp gun: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-93983.html
    i have it, its awesome!!!

EDIT: you are running nimh which when you run in parallel like i said your speed will decrease. I suggest looking into lipos. good speed and long run times. and super cheap.
    Last edited by Nkracl; 05-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.

RC poster
    i have looked into lipo, but ive heard some horror stories about them to. are they safe for someone like me, just starting out. i mean, im 30 years old and all but like i said im new to it. and which ones would you recommend for my merv?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LiPo's have a bad rap...
    You REALLY have to abuse them for the bad stuff to happen.

I have and run ***** 2S 20C 2200mAh LiPo's.... LOVE them @ $8ish a pop.
    SPC has some wicked cool batteries too... I am sure someone will chime in about them.

Here is something I wrote up a while ago:

LiPo 101
    now in session

1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack...
    mah x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example, I'll use a 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate on the back.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 2.2 amps.
    - If no charge C rate is stated, 1C is the standard

To calculate the discharge rate of your pack...
    mah x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example, I'll use the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

When setting up your system, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Running two LiPo's in parallel will double your run time (mah) and also double your available amperage.

Running two LiPo's in series will double your voltage, therefore doubling your speed.

There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use *****/******* batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nkracl View Post
    thats your problem. never run series for long periods of time. run parallel. you will go slower but have longer run times and safer motor/esc temps.

get a temp gun: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-93983.html
    i have it, its awesome!!!

EDIT: you are running nimh which when you run in parallel like i said your speed will decrease. I suggest looking into lipos. good speed and long run times. and super cheap.
    Which lipo do you suggest?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydebeaux View Post
    i have looked into lipo, but ive heard some horror stories about them to. are they safe for someone like me, just starting out. i mean, im 30 years old and all but like i said im new to it. and which ones would you recommend for my merv?
    im 20, just started lipos this year but like jimmie said, you have to screw up bad to have those horror stories happen and screwing up is impossible if you get the cheap charger I have. I use the same ***** batteries as jimmie mentioned.

charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
    this charger is idiot proof. it will not charge/balance (whatever you want to call it) your lipo if it is not set correctly. its cheap too

CAN YOU SOLDER???

if yes get these: ***** 2S 2200mah 20C lipo. (cannot post link)
    if you cannot solder you can still use those, just have to buy a couple extra connectors

if you cannot solder probably have to get these: http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=107

price is a huge difference. I would get the first linked ones, the *****s
    Last edited by Nkracl; 05-08-2012 at 09:35 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun6 View Post
    Which lipo do you suggest?
    I will SUGGEST the ***** ********* 2S 2200mah 20C lipo, link is below
    the connector is different so you have to buy a different one for it to work. thats what I did because i cannot solder

if you want to spend a little more go to the other link i posted below

RC poster
    holy cow! glad you wasnt my teacher in school, cause im really confused now. lol, i just need someone to tell me a good battery size, and the redneck maintenance plan for em. i think yall forgot i have no clue what your talking about. hahahaha...sorry, i feel real stupid now.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydebeaux View Post
    holy cow! glad you wasnt my teacher in school, cause im really confused now. lol, i just need someone to tell me a good battery size, and the redneck maintenance plan for em. i think yall forgot i have no clue what your talking about. hahahaha...sorry, i feel real stupid now.
    dont feel stupid, did you see everything I posted? email me, we can talk easier without getting in trouble. chocolate_moose_10@hotmail.com

RC poster
    i have this charger on its way to the house. is it a decent one. one of the guys i talked to said it was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320855087727...84.m1439.l2649

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dyaugo View Post
    wheat about the EZ Peak Plus from TRAXXAS? Is it a good changer? Are there better?
    i dont know anything about that charger but i do know that the thunder ac6 charger is an amazing charger ESPECIALLY for the price!!! cannot go wrong with the thunder ac6

Quote Originally Posted by dyaugo View Post
    wheat about the EZ Peak Plus from TRAXXAS? Is it a good changer? Are there better?
    In my opinion, there are lots better out there for roughly the same price.
    But, you loose the Traxxas warranty.

RC Qualifier
    I have a pair of *****'s. My esc went up in smoke as soon as I pushed the power button with a brand new one. That was with one battery in case you were wondering if I did something not good like put the lipos in series. The stock system can handle ni-mh in series but not lipos fyi.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    LiPo's have a bad rap...
    You REALLY have to abuse them for the bad stuff to happen.

I have and run ***** 2S 20C 2200mAh LiPo's.... LOVE them @ $8ish a pop.
    SPC has some wicked cool batteries too... I am sure someone will chime in about them.

Here is something I wrote up a while ago:

LiPo 101
    now in session

1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack...
    mah x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example, I'll use a 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate on the back.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 2.2 amps.
    - If no charge C rate is stated, 1C is the standard

To calculate the discharge rate of your pack...
    mah x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example, I'll use the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

When setting up your system, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Running two LiPo's in parallel will double your run time (mah) and also double your available amperage.

Running two LiPo's in series will double your voltage, therefore doubling your speed.

There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use *****/******* batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!
    WoW that charger is EXPENSIVE. I'll have to pass on that how about this charger http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html ?

The iCharger is not expensive:
    20amps for ~$110, depending on where you purchase.
    That is $5.50/amp

The Thunder AC6 is not a bad charger...
    for about $9/amp

RC Competitor
    yea man dont get overwhelmed, i was when i jumped to lipo but its totally worth it. what he said was spot on, do take the time to research and learn on how to follow that advice

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You forgot to mention the the thunder ac6 has a built in power supply don't have to worry about buying an external one

RC Qualifier
    my setup:
    traxxas 2s 2200mah 25c http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=5341
    thunder ac6 charger. cost me $45 on amazon and had 2 buy traxxas/banana adapter

i have had no issues yet and am happy with it. it does get a little warm bashing but never hot.

when i heard the stories i was scared but its no worse than the stock nimh blowing up. just dont over/under charge it

RC Qualifier
    ******* makes a nice 380 watt (20 amp) charger for 65
    Great machine too!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

Whoa....
    Part number please!!

RC Qualifier
    I will check. Its on the one site that can't be mentioned.

RC Qualifier
    Got it.
    I think its T380w
    But I must say the fans kinda loud..

Thanks... that is why I asked for a PN and not a link.

Seems to be a decent charger... especially for the money.
    Do you own one??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the fan will.help quite a bit. Motor with a heatsink ran 150 switched over to muchmore racing ultra high speed and temp went to 110

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nkracl I would call 40 degree drop from a fan something wouldn't you?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Thanks... that is why I asked for a PN and not a link.

Seems to be a decent charger... especially for the money.
    Do you own one??
    makes sense Jimmy
    Its great for the price. Yes ordered one last month. Used it 20 time or so, its almost like the accucel 6 but more amps and a bit different. I love it. I can charge my lipos for my summit in no time. And for my Merv too.
    I do recommend it!
    Last edited by tyler13; 05-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.