RC Enthusiast

Drive Strut Bushings

How do you get the old drive strut bushings out? I want to put in the better ones! Is there an easy way?

RC Enthusiast
    And does anyone have the number for Kintec?

RC Qualifier
    Regarding the bushings, try and use a drill press if you have one.

Email seems to work best to get ahold of Jan at Kintec, he replies fast, and ships his stuff out even faster!

RC Qualifier
    You should be able to tap them out with a punch, but I haven't tried on the Spartan strut so I'm not sure how easily they come out.

I find the struts are fairly inexpensive and keep a couple spares on hand. I know there are few vendors offering the struts with upgraded bushings/bearings. but not certain what the cost is on them.

What type of upgrade are you looking at? Bushing or bearing.

hog

RC Qualifier
    They do tap out with a little effort. I took a 1/4 inch extension that just fits inside a strut without bushings and ground the end so that it fits inside the bushing. That way when you pound on the bushing the driver stays centered in the bushing and does not gouge the aluminum strut. I use a piece of hardwood with a hole drilled in it to accept the bushings as they come out.

RC Qualifier
    Kintec racing offers a few different options, one with bearings and one with an upgraded bushing. They also have a 3/16 driveshaft and upgraded strut combo for $40. Seems like a good deal for the whole package. I considered going with that before ordering the .187 cable from Wholt.

RC Qualifier
    I tried the updated shaft with floating bushing and it slowed the boat down by two or three mph. Plus after only a dozen runs it was showing wear on the shaft. I returned them and they gave me a partial refund. I now run a bearing set up with Jeff Wholts .150 cable. We have many runs in the sixty mph range with no problems with this set up.

RC Qualifier
    SJS - what bearings did you go with? The ones Kintec offers? I just ordered the .187 shaft from Jeff, and I am wondering if that would work with upgraded bearings or if I should stay with the stock ones.

RC Qualifier
    I am using ceramic bearings from Boca Bearings. The part no. is SMF85C-20S#7 with NB2 grease.
    They are more expensive than the all steel from Kintec but the ceramic have less friction. These bearings are 8mm x 5mm to fit the strut and the flex cable. I will assume that the .187 flex from Jeff is still 5mm to fit the stock strut and necks down to 3/16 to fit the props.

RC Qualifier
    Any image on those upgrades? I'm planning on this set-up too but wondering what will be the best?

RC Qualifier
    I moved the post about Leopard motors to show pics of my boat and the strut bearings. Check it out.