RC Enthusiast

How may amps should I set my charger at?

So I'm new to the rc world. Just got a new E-MAXX with the stock traxxas 3000 mah NiMH batteries. Ive been reading on here that i should charge them at around 3 amps? But the instructions that came with my onyx 245 charger said that for NiMH packs from 2500mah - 5000mah i should set the charger at 5 amps. What should i be doing?

RC Champion
    For a 3000mah pack you should charge it at 3 amps. Don't charge it at any more than that or it will damage the battery eventually.
    Same goes for a 4000mah pack...you would want to charge that at 4 amps...for a 5000mah, 5 amps and so on.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks. It would be nice if the instructions that came with the charger were accurate!

RC Qualifier
    is it ok to charge a 3000mah at 1 amp... i start of at 4amps and then down to 1 amp because my chager says it to low to charge at 1 amp so i let it climb then i swith it over.... is that ok?????

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer3.3 View Post
    is it ok to charge a 3000mah at 1 amp... i start of at 4amps and then down to 1 amp because my chager says it to low to charge at 1 amp so i let it climb then i swith it over.... is that ok?????
    It probably won't hurt anything just take a while.