RC Competitor

Stampede 4x4 motor upgrade

Im new to r/c and recently bought a used p4de on eBay and just picked up a TQi transmitter and 6518 receiver to add telemetry soon when it's in stock. My motor recently died and so it's being sent back. Assuming I get sent back a new 3500 and esc, should I consider selling and go with castle? What setup is comparably priced as a 3500 and Vxl esc?

The bed of my body is also shredded, proline the best replacement? I've seen a really low profile body with center mounts, proline stickers, but I can't find it on the website. Any ideas?

Thanks and look forward to all the fun.

The 3500 2 pole doesnt have a real equivalent in the Castle range. It's a quite good motor, but might be that you want something stronger.

MMP/3800: stronger and can pull a more heavy gearing.
    MMP/5700: needs to be geared right (all sets do, but this is more sensitive for it), but great speed (look at the eyebrow raising thread of Dadx2mj.
    MMP/2400: Overpowered and needs sight modding of the chassis. Tons of torque and makes your car fly. Price close to the 3800.

Above options are all more efficient 4 pole motors where the 3800 and 2400 are quite amp hungry, so you need a good battery to feed them.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    I have 2, 3S 40C 5000mah batts.

Any ideas on this mystery body that im really liking?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughesne View Post
    I have 2, 3S 40C 5000mah batts.

Any ideas on this mystery body that im really liking?
    I would go with the MMP/2400, if you plan to run 3s mostly. I have it and it's amazing

RC Champion
    I built mine with the Hobbywing SC8 2700 4 pole motor and ran it on 3s all the time geared 15/54 Stays very cool and just needed a VERY slight little bit of sanding to let the motor sit well.

Great power Tons of Torque and gearing potential up the Ying Yang, Comes with a 19 pinion that just screams if you have enough road to use it.

If not this then I would say the Castle options are great depending on what you wanna do.

When you say the bed of your body do you mean the bottom of your chassis ? I got the Full T-Bone Racing bumper/Servo skid plate and it's been keeping it very clean. I also have mine sitting pretty low with Losi Blue 2.5 springs in rear and stock Progressive big bore springs in the front. No spacers. And SC rims with Switches. Handled pretty well. I am using a Rusty body with side posts screwed into the chassis as well.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Competitor
    Not the chassis, the bed of the truck body.

RC Competitor
    Looks like i can get about $150 for a new 3500+ESC, and about $210 for an MMP/2400. Other than the marketing ive already read, can i expect some cooler temps, less likely to melt than my velineon, and what about torque/speed? Basically, what benefits can i expect for my $60 upgrade?

RC Qualifier
    Standing backflips on 3s. 50-60mph 3s 18/54 gearing with trenchers. I can run through a full 5000mah 3s and still be around 160-170° without the blower fan installed that comes in the package. Running at 3/4 throttle in a field, you can go wide open and pick the front up and wheelie at full throttle.

Ability to run 4s if you are brave enough or willing to risk broken parts. 25/50 on 4s can get you around 80mph with enough room to run, will probably get hot if you try.

My p4de has telemetry already, voltage and temp so far, more to come in the future.

RC Competitor
    guess its gonna be a few weeks before im back running. Thanks for the advice. just need to figure out a body that won't crack after 10 mins.

RC Competitor
    Found the body i was looking for, from Focus Guy on this forum. Is this the desert rat from proline, what rim/tires are those? I actually just want this exactly. I even want the wheelie bar as well, looks like the traxxas rubbers on something.

http://flic.kr/p/bUURR3
    Last edited by Hughesne; 05-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    from the first link thatīs a ruslter body, traxxas wheels, and anaconda tires. second link doesnīt work for me.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-08-2012 at 10:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That does look sharp. The rims are just stampede xl5 wheels in chrome finish all front offset. Can't make out the tires looks like they've been cut to fit? Not positive because I can't keep a wheelie bar lol but looks like a regular pede wheelie bar with upgraded wheels.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    Found the body i was looking for, from Focus Guy on this forum. Is this the desert rat from proline, what rim/tires are those? I actually just want this exactly. I even want the wheelie bar as well, looks like the traxxas rubbers on something.

http://flic.kr/p/bUURR3
    That is the stock rustler vxl blue body without the rear wing.

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...!SH-112142.jpg

Rims and tires are all stars with anacondas:

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...&id=TRA3773!SH

Traxxas aluminum wheelie wheels with rubber tires:

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....mvut35ecodt4j2

RC Competitor
    Lovin this forum already, except it seems to crash about every 5 minutes. Thanks for the info. Does the rustler body and rims all fit the stampede vxl 4.4 with little/no modification?

RC Qualifier
    Wheels for 2wd stampede or rustler (electric front) will work fine. Lots of guys use rustler bodies too. I think the rear body mount is the only thing needs modification in most cases. Perhaps if no one who has done it pipes up just search the forum or start another thread on it.
    And yeah it is a great community lots of helpful folks here. The glitching is a bummer though at times

The 2.8" rims and tires from teh Rustler will fit the Pede 4x4 no problem.

You can mount the body up too it just requires some adjustment of the body posts to get the height right and drilling some new holes in the body to line up with the rear body mounts. I have the JC Concepts Illuzion body made for the Rustler mounted up on my Pede 4x4.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Where can i get the most heavy duty rustler replacement body? I assume the traxxas one is like my stampede and will fall apart after my first wreck, so i'd like something durable....and painted, not artistic abilities here.

RC Competitor
    Well ive ordered the all-stars with anaconda's and some rubber wheelie bar tires.

Any thoughts on where to get an industructable rustler vxl body?

RC Qualifier
    No body as built by the manufacturer is going to be any where near indestructible. Search these forums for body strengthening ideas. A lot of people use Shoe Goo and Ace Fiberglass Drywall Joint Tape. People will also Shoe Goo a plastic body washer to the body on the bottom and top of the body to keep the posts from ripping through the body.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Competitor
    So ive ordered some all-star rims with anaconda tires, looks cool, more racey than offroad. The website recommended the tall offset hex, so replaced those on all 4 rims, but the fronts stick out a good 1/2 inch from the rears. So i played around with everything and changed the front hexes back to stock and then switched the fronts with the rears, the rear rims have a deeper recess. This gets them pretty much even. Am i missing something here or should fronts be out further than the rears? I was wondering if the oversteer would be better in my original setup with the fronts wider, but no motor right now to find out.

RC Qualifier
    wider front is gonna be pretty stable to a point even if you think it looks dumb lol. Play around with the hexes see where ya get with that. If you have widened the front and don't have all front offset wheels its gonna look weird. I think you're building a cool 4x4 street truck my man keep us posted.

RC Qualifier
    Mmp2400 3s stock tires 17 54 gearing 10 feet to get speed off a 3foot high jump goes 10feet up and 30 feet out! Doesn't get hot either, longer run times too. Once you shoe goo body have fun learning slow front and back flips. I've landed mine upside down from 12' up and have a little crack where I didnt shoe goo and drywall tape.

RC Racer
    I did a bad bounce from 15ft that tore my reinforced body. Now, its a lexan/fibreglass/lexan sandwich filled with shoe goo. I can hardly get the pins in its so thick, but it should last me a lil while.

RC Competitor
    It appears that my replacement VXL system is in the mail, so as soon as i have it in my hands, i think its going on ebay. Any last words before i pull the trigger on the MMP/2400 combo? Is it a must that i find one with a 5mm shaft? I have a bunch of pinions already that fit my velineon 3500, does that mean if i can only get a 3mm, that none of those will work? Im a little nervous to make this switch, but if you guys say a little chassis shaving is all thats needed to have a much faster and cooler system, i'll do it.

RC Qualifier
    You will have to remove the mounting posts for the vxl-3s closest to the motor can and some slight dremeling of the driveshaft cover to get the full motion of adjustments with the longer motor.

I left the support tab for the vxl-3s and servo taped a block of wood wedged between it and the driveshaft cover. The velcro is for removing the mmp when I need to, much easier.

The next pic you can look closely to the right of the motor you can to see the spot I dremeled on the driveshaft cover.

And how it looks all together. Forgive all the wires. I had to add a BEC for my aftermarket servo and I have some telemetry sensors installed. If you use a servo extension like the one marked "esc" in my pic, you don't have to open the receiver box to use the castle link software.

I use standard Traxxas size pinions, I do not have the 5mm shaft. Here's what I got on 4s 18/54 gearing with trenchers. I've done better on 3s but I don't have a pic. Good luck keeping the front wheels down on 4s

ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the pics and info. I really dont have any frame of reference on speed since i have no way to calculate it right now, but im currently using a 13T pinion with a 3s, so i always figured i was around 40-45MPH or so. Not that velocity is everything, but im surprised that with your setup and 18t with 4s you arent hitting 60mph+. From the literature on the 3500, with the 17t and 3s it claims 60mph.

Also, my ride is lowered as far as possible right now with the stock shocks and have anaconda tires, which should be much faster than all the mass and diameter of trenchers.

RC Qualifier
    With the lower kv rating it takes more power to get speed out of it. It's 2400kv vs the 3500kv from the velineon. The velineon would have a short lifespan at 60+mph. It runs much hotter than the castle motor.

I'm running untaped trenchers and they balloon like crazy, making it extremely difficult to control at high speeds. I'm sure I could go faster, but I ran out of road each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    With the lower kv rating it takes more power to get speed out of it. It's 2400kv vs the 3500kv from the velineon. The velineon would have a short lifespan at 60+mph. It runs much hotter than the castle motor.

I'm running untaped trenchers and they balloon like crazy, making it extremely difficult to control at high speeds. I'm sure I could go faster, but I ran out of road each time.
    Get a set of JConcepts G-Locs and you will have tons more control. You only have to gear up quite a bit to get the same speed as with ballooning Trenchers.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking of getting some street tires for that purpose. Is that another tire that should be taped or does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    I was thinking of getting some street tires for that purpose. Is that another tire that should be taped or does it matter?
    On 4S they will balloon, but up to 60mph the ballooning of them doesnt decrease handling too bad. I will try them later this week on my Bandit to see what they do on higher speeds.

RC Competitor
    Now I'm confused, again. The MMP/2400 and MMP/3800 combos are essentially the same price (the 3800 actually retails for $10 less). Because I'm a man, bigger means better right? Why would i not go with the 3800 combo, which also includes a motor fan? Does the 3800 just not fit in the stampede as "easily" as the 2400?

RC Qualifier
    The 3800 is smaller and is best suited to 2S due to the increased kv. You can run it on 3S but have to be more careful with gearing. Not sure why Castle has them set at about the same price.

RC Competitor
    So then you would still recommend the 2400 combo for my 4x4 pede?

RC Competitor
    I'm very happy with my 2400 combo. now i just need a couple of good 3s batteries..

RC Qualifier
    Now I'm confused, again. The MMP/2400 and MMP/3800 combos are essentially the same price (the 3800 actually retails for $10 less). Because I'm a man, bigger means better right? Why would i not go with the 3800 combo, which also includes a motor fan? Does the 3800 just not fit in the stampede as "easily" as the 2400?
    My 2400 came with the motor fan also. I've never had a need to use it yet. The 3800 will probably fit with no modifications.

With regards to the 3800kv vs 2400kv the lower the number, the larger the motor can.

The number just means the number of RPM the motor wants to make per volt. the 3800 is a smaller motor and will deliver less power than the 2400. There is 2650Kv motor that is larger than the 2400, so the number has nothing to do with the size.
    The 3800 is a direct fit without mods. The 2400 fits after a little dremmel work.