Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

New build! SSC/MM2200/Protrac

After putting the SSC chassis on my wife's slash I realized that I liked it better than the TRCE chassis that was on mine.... so I got my own SSC chassis! I was going to need to order new parts from TRCE due to stripped screw holes and I find the SSC easier to work on.
    This has turned out to be a brand new build with mostly all new parts. All of the TRCE truck parts are being donated to a stock chassis. Here is the list of parts so far. I'm still waiting on a stock bell crank but the rest of the parts are here and the build is underway tonight!
    Black SSC lcg chassis for 1/8 scale motors
    Mamba Monster 2200 from an E-Revo
    Hitec 7955TG w/aluminum horn
    DX3s/SR300
    Lunsford hinge pins
    Proline Protrac, shock mount kit
    Vorza Shocks
    MIP Xduty cvds for Stampede, 17mm adapters
    STRC Bellcrank, knuckles, c-hubs, rear hubs, wheel adapters, shock towers
    RPM front and rear bumpers, wheelie bar, mud flaps, body mounts, body savers
    Jconcepts lowered body posts
    Acer ceramic bearings
    Golden Horizon Aluminum front/center/rear diff housings
    Hot Racing Hardened steel spur (48,50,54)
    Robinson Racing hardened steel slipper clutch 54t, hardened steel pinions 13-23t
    RC10 Monster Energy body

3x SPC 5000mah 3s 30c
    3x ******* 4500mah 4s 30c (specifically for the slash)
    2x Sky Lipo 4000mah 5s 40c
    1x Sky Lipo 2200mah 6s 40c

proline calibers, hole shots, trenchers, road rage

I ordered the following stock parts from lumidave on ebay:
    E-Revo 2200kv castle motor
    complete font and rear diff assemblies
    sway bars
    camber/toe links
    complete slash 4x4 screw set
    front and rear hinge pin brace
    stock bell crank
    electronics box

Progress so far:

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 05-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Yowza those are a lot of parts!! Are you planning to race it?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

That looks like a beast! Please keep the pics coming!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    Props man, looks like its going to be a bad rig. I'm interested to see the rest.

Who makes that red aluminum center differential? ...assuming that's what it is.

I notice that you said you bought Golden Horizon Aluminum front/center/rear diff housing but I don't see the center diff on their site.
    Last edited by big_RON; 05-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    I'm just a big hairy American winning machine

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by big_RON View Post

Who makes that red aluminum center differential?
    FastLane Machine

RC Champion
    another build?? OMG you have too much money! Looks like it gonna be a good project!
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Yowza those are a lot of parts!! Are you planning to race it?
    yes, I do plan to race it! There are several tracks within an hour of my house so I try to go to all of them when I'm home from work (28 on/14 off)

Quote Originally Posted by big_RON View Post
    Props man, looks like its going to be a bad rig. I'm interested to see the rest.

Who makes that red aluminum center differential? ...assuming that's what it is.

I notice that you said you bought Golden Horizon Aluminum front/center/rear diff housing but I don't see the center diff on their site.
    Thanks man, like RC-fan said it's made by fastlane machine

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That looks like a beast! Please keep the pics coming!
    I will!

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    FastLane Machine
    Thanks, that's correct

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    another build?? OMG you have too much money! Looks like it gonna be a good project!
    yeah it was unplanned too. It started with me breaking the shaft off of the 2400 and then it quickly snowballed into a new truck!

RC Champion
    Changed the layout a bit and for some reason I decided to heat shrink some of the wiring.

I had to use spacers so the 4s will fit.

RC Champion

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Wow dude!!! That's a mean look'n machine you got there. I'm jealous!

BTW, I live in Bay City.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 05-10-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

What brand are those blue diff cups? That is a great looking build! If you could pm me a link, I would appreciate it very much
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Lookin' good man. I like it. Can't wait to see all put together.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Changed the layout a bit and for some reason I decided to heat shrink some of the wiring.
    Awesome build pictures..I'm definately gonna get one of these; I think I going to use the parts from my stampede 4x4..Why did you use the stampede's MIPs? Are they compatible with the pro-line pro trac kit or do you still need the male bone, MIP11105?
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    id also like the blue diff cups please

RC Qualifier
    Impressive built, love all the pics.

Hot Racing Hardened steel spur (48,50,54)
    Are you sure those are Hardened steel spur, not aluminum or Delrin?
    From HR website, the only H.S. they have is the 54.
    I was looking for a hardened steel 50 spur for speed run, but could not find one.

RC Qualifier
    What brand are those blue diff cups? That is a great looking build! If you could pm me a link, I would appreciate it very much
    Those blue diff cups are Golden Horizon i had them on my SSC Chassis for 10 months they are great but i
    Have to replace front and rear cups cause the axel or the gear peace that sticks out of the diff cup wears
    Down the aluminum causing alot of play with the axels at first i thought it was the bearings
    So i replaced the bearings and the issue was still there frustrating. LoL but then i took
    A closer look to notice some small shavings of aluminum on the rim of the diff cup great found
    Out the problem but now Im having a hard time finding a replacement aluminum diff cup.. Wear and Tear....
    Just thought i share some info just in case you run into the problem i had and couldn't figure it out..
    Also if you know wear i can get these cup please PM me. thanks
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Champion
    Howd you break the 2400 shaft?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Wow dude!!! That's a mean look'n machine you got there. I'm jealous!

BTW, I live in Bay City.
    Thanks! I just bought a house in Lake Jackson! Do you ever go to the River Race Track or Ultimate RC in Alvin? We'll have to meet up when I get off this boat(4 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by cmane419 View Post
    id also like the blue diff cups please
    Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    Those blue diff cups are Golden Horizon i had them on my SSC Chassis for 10 months they are great but i
    Have to replace front and rear cups cause the axel or the gear peace that sticks out of the diff cup wears
    Down the aluminum causing alot of play with the axels at first i thought it was the bearings
    So i replaced the bearings and the issue was still there frustrating. LoL but then i took
    A closer look to notice some small shavings of aluminum on the rim of the diff cup great found
    Out the problem but now Im having a hard time finding a replacement aluminum diff cup.. Wear and Tear....
    Just thought i share some info just in case you run into the problem i had and couldn't figure it out..
    Also if you know wear i can get these cup please PM me. thanks
    I ordered ones for a REVo and they do not work with the slash gears I put they regular plastic diffs back in. I haven't done any further research on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT View Post
    Awesome build pictures..I'm definately gonna get one of these; I think I going to use the parts from my stampede 4x4..Why did you use the stampede's MIPs? Are they compatible with the pro-line pro trac kit or do you still need the male bone, MIP11105?
    Thanks and yes you have to use stampede parts to work with the protrac kit. Either way they are super expensive.
    MIP #11104 X-Duty CVD Kit (2 Required for Front and Rear)
    MIP #10133 X-Duty Front Axle (2 Required for Front Left and Front Right)
    or if you already own slash 4x4 mip axles you need these MIP #11105 Male bones to convert your drives to the new length.

Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    Impressive built, love all the pics.
    Are you sure those are Hardened steel spur, not aluminum or Delrin?
    From HR website, the only H.S. they have is the 54.
    I was looking for a hardened steel 50 spur for speed run, but could not find one.
    Thanks man. they are Hardened steel.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item3a74f01317

Howd you break the 2400 shaft?
    It just broke? My mesh was good and the motor didn't come loose. They have a 5mm replacement for it now that I ordered

Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    Lookin' good man. I like it. Can't wait to see all put together.
    You and me both but I'm not sure when I'll get to finishing it. I've been at work for two weeks and I have four more to go. When I get home I only have two weeks off and my wife and I are moving so I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it then I may bring it with me on the boat and work on it in my spare time.

RC Champion
    Also I discovered that strc knuckles DO NOT work with mip axles

RC Champion
    The body I'll be using is from an SC10. This pic is of one on my wife's slash but I have a brand new one and a white SC10 body for hers.

Thanks! I just bought a house in Lake Jackson! Do you ever go to the River Race Track or Ultimate RC in Alvin? We'll have to meet up when I get off this boat(4 weeks).
    Kewl man. I've always wanted to go there. I usually go to the track in Katy bashed because my bro in law knows the owner. Anyways i work at the chemical plant in old ocean.

Again nice build. I'd love to bash sometime. Hit me up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    oh yeah! I went to the katy track last time I was home and had a blast with my vorza! I plan on attending their saturday evening races when I'm home from work. I especially like it there because they have paid car flippers on the weekend!

RC Champion
    finally have an update on this build! Something was wrong with the mamba monster esc so I had to send it in to Castle. Also I'm missing some parts to the rear mip's so I ordered those last night. The blue diff cups that I purchased are for the revo and do not work with the slash diff. I thought they used the same diff? Anyways I found the flm diff cups and ordered them. Too bad they are covered up Another thing I found out was that the mip axles do not work with the strc knuckles.

RC Qualifier
    I wanna see inside the diffs. Apparantly, quite a few new products have been released while I was away from RC.

Do they use the E-Revo style diff cup brace? Or is it braceless like stock on the Slash and Nitro Revo?

On all my Slash 4x4's and my 'Pede 4x4, I used E-Revo diff cups, with the brace, and they hold up just fine! Even to MMM/2650kv on 4s in my "Rustler 4x4".
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Champion
    I really don't know. The blue cups were golden horizons for revo. When I put them together the fluid would leak out and not seal correctly. I'm not sure what brace you are referring to.
    I made more progress today lol I was up all night working on it and I found the mip parts I needed. I don't think I'll be driving it any time soon since it will probably take forever to get the speed controller back from castle. I need to order mud flaps but other than that this build is complete for now. I may get the tekno dogbone center shaft but you can't really see it with this chassis. I just found the proline protrac 17mm wheel adapters on ebay so that will get my wheel back under the body.

I have an SSC chassis and a mamba monster/2400 for the wife's slash but they aren't on on the truck atm.

RC Qualifier
    Brace

ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

Yo Neil those trucks look great. Fantastic look'n builds. Hey i'm running the Tekno center drivebone. I have the CC 2650 putting power through it and its done a great job. I'll be working on the MIP mod and let you know the outcome of that. Being i'm running STRC on all 4 corners we'll see what happens.

That's one thing I haven't upgraded is the diff cups. I'm still running the stock ones. I'm totally digg'n the red ones.

BTW I was in your neck of the woods twice yesterday. Clute/ Lake Jackson. Trying to hunt down some Snugger bits ( Mag Drill ) ended up having to order them from Fastenal in Clute. Then got back to the office and to turn around the same direction back to Clute to Brazos Fasteners on Plantation. LOL Hit a couple of good rainshowers too.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Joshua- I'll probably get the center dogbone because of the modding addiction I have lol. I'm thinking about de anodizing all the gunmetal and other color aluminum parts to match the ssc parts that are raw. If i do that I'll just stick to the traxxas knuckles unless your fix is easily done. You have my number so give me call if you want to go bash. I'm doing absolutely nothing but messing with rc cars for the next three weeks till I go back to work. here's the link to the diff cups and the have the center diff cup as well: http://www.rcdirectonline.com/produc...FLM-26030.html

Andrew- I have not seen a brace like that but I think there is room in the aluminum cups for that. I don't know where I put the blue aluminum ones since I moved this summer but I'll post a pic up when I find them.

Joshua- I'll probably get the center dogbone because of the modding addiction I have lol. I'm thinking about de anodizing all the gunmetal and other color aluminum parts to match the ssc parts that are raw. If i do that I'll just stick to the traxxas knuckles unless your fix is easily done. You have my number so give me call if you want to go bash. I'm doing absolutely nothing but messing with rc cars for the next three weeks till I go back to work. here's the link to the diff cups and the have the center diff cup as well: http://www.rcdirectonline.com/produc...FLM-26030.html
    The mod to get the MIP's to fit into the carriers w/o any rubbing or binding is fairly simple. Just takes a little bit of time. Not like anyone will see insde them. It was clean enough that it wasnt like a bad hack job or anything.

Have you done the de-anodize yet? It's really simple to do. I used Easy off ( pump bottle ) and let it soak for a little bit until it came off. Then you polish the parts up with a terry cloth and Mother's. Do this until you get all the black off and it shines. There are other wasy, Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner, & draino.

I know everything about addiction man. ha Thanks for the link to the Diff cups.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I have not done the de-anodizing yet nor have I attempted it before. Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try this week.

RC Champion
    Well I finally got the truck running. I went with the 2400 since I put the 2200 in one of my emaxx's. Five minutes into my first test the front right inner pin for the mip's somehow came out and chopped the camber end link in half. I know I used red loctite so I'm not sure what happened.. I got that fixed and the next day I took it to Ultimate RC in Alvin for some 1/8 scale track fun, I made about four laps when I had a funny landing and broke the protrac camber link at the threads. I have a complete extra protrac set but I didn't bring the extra links with me and my house was an hour away so that ended my day with the slash. During the first four laps I was pretty happy with the performance of everything on 3s. This was my first time with the ssc and protrac on. A coiuple of days later I replaced the link and got the truck running again. I was doing some speedruns and it seemed to be doing about 50. I was going to walk back inside to get my wife to radar gun it but I ran into a tree in the yard. I couldn't have been doing more than 5-10 mph and the front protrac arm broke at the hinge pin. I've read a ton of stories about this happening but I'm surprised at how easily it let go.
    That is the summary of all the time that I've run this truck. I'm back at work for the next four weeks so no rc's to mess with till I get home
    I'm thinking about trying out the new extended trce arms or maybe the extended ssc arms in the back and trce up front. I'm going to do more reading on both and make an informed decisions since I have a lot of time to do so. I really want to get a Tekin RX8 and pro4 but it's kind of frustrating how easily the truck breaks. I'd also like to figure out some stronger links that work with extended arms.
    I also need to get some protrac 17mm adapters so that 1/8 scale wheels fit under the body. I found that with the tekno axles I could possibly use emaxx 17mm adapters but I would have to cut some of the tekno hub off first.

group shot!
    Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-13-2012 at 01:35 AM.

RC Champion

this as far as it goes down but it looks like pin would line up if cut. I'm not sure if that will make the stub weaker.

RC Champion
    So does anybody have any ideas for stronger links?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Well I finally got the truck running. I went with the 2400 since I put the 2200 in one of my emaxx's. Five minutes into my first test the front right inner pin for the mip's somehow came out and chopped the camber end link in half. I know I used red loctite so I'm not sure what happened.. I got that fixed and the next day I took it to Ultimate RC in Alvin for some 1/8 scale track fun, I made about four laps when I had a funny landing and broke the protrac camber link at the threads. I have a complete extra protrac set but I didn't bring the extra links with me and my house was an hour away so that ended my day with the slash. During the first four laps I was pretty happy with the performance of everything on 3s. This was my first time with the ssc and protrac on. A coiuple of days later I replaced the link and got the truck running again. I was doing some speedruns and it seemed to be doing about 50. I was going to walk back inside to get my wife to radar gun it but I ran into a tree in the yard. I couldn't have been doing more than 5-10 mph and the front protrac arm broke at the hinge pin. I've read a ton of stories about this happening but I'm surprised at how easily it let go.
    That is the summary of all the time that I've run this truck. I'm back at work for the next four weeks so no rc's to mess with till I get home
    I'm thinking about trying out the new extended trce arms or maybe the extended ssc arms in the back and trce up front. I'm going to do more reading on both and make an informed decisions since I have a lot of time to do so. I really want to get a Tekin RX8 and pro4 but it's kind of frustrating how easily the truck breaks. I'd also like to figure out some stronger links that work with extended arms.
    I also need to get some protrac 17mm adapters so that 1/8 scale wheels fit under the body. I found that with the tekno axles I could possibly use emaxx 17mm adapters but I would have to cut some of the tekno hub off first.

group shot!
    I wish i was you, you have so many nice trucks

RC Champion
    Thanks ftw, Pretty much all I do when I'm home from work (4 weeks on 2 weeks off) is mess with these trucks. I set up a table in the living and me and my wife do marathons of tv series and I work on my rc's . Good times

RC Champion
    sounds like a ton of fun! I love your LCG slashes because they dont even look like a slash anymore!

RC Qualifier
    How do like the PL Snipers? i just picked up a set but havent run them yet
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Champion
    sounds like a ton of fun! I love your LCG slashes because they dont even look like a slash anymore!
    It is! I think the only thing that's is still stock are the end links, center driveshaft and diff housing and diff gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitlerz View Post
    How do like the PL Snipers? i just picked up a set but havent run them yet
    they seemed great but like I said I only made about four laps and one of my links broke in two. That was the first time I used them.

RC Qualifier
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah i still have to mount mine. My track was off this weekend but some guys still went and ran and now are reporting blue-groove in all the turns, which has never happened so now i nervous.. owell
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Champion
    I've decided that the next round of mods will include TRCE extended arms, lunsford turnbuckles and hingepins, and I will be going back to tekno cvd's with extended bones and tekno center shaft. I read on rcshortcourse that the x0-1 kuckles/carriers fit the tekno stubs perfectly and I happen to have a full set.
    To make the ti turnbuckles work with the extended arms I will use the steering turnbuckles for the rear camber links, move the rear camber links up to the front camber links and I will have to order a pair of 70x4 turnbuckles to use for the steering. I found this information on rcshortcourse as well.