RC Qualifier

alum vs plastic????

i just broke my 2nd front bulkhead in two weeks... yes i am a newb.. any way i also broke the front of the chassis.. should i upgrade to a alum bulkhead? and alum chassis? i know it would add alot of weight, but i am more concerned with strength and duribility than weight.. i am soon going to upgrade the motor and esc so it would help conpensate for the weight a little..
    so my question is disregard the weight issue and only weight issue. should i go with alum bulk head and chassis, just bulkhead and stock chassis, or visa versa?
    if upgraded aftermarket part is suggested what brand should i go with?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    An aluminum chassis does not add any strength... one crash and its bent; bend it back and the next crash its broke.
    Aluminum bulks may last longer... but the only real cure; stop crashing!! lol

Any of the bulkhead brands work.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Note the chassis probably broke only because the bulkhead broke.

Apparently the alum. bulk head survives some tough "bumps". But take Jimmie Neutron's advice for sure; and especially before spending the dough.

RC Qualifier
    stop crashing yes most obivious solution.. haha.. its not cheap bein a newb haha.. any way, i went with the alum bulk head, stock chassis, and tbone chassis brace and bumpers.. i believe with the t bone and the alum bulkhead, and a neat litte brace 50togo showed me i think my merv will be ready to handle some of the hardest of head on's, of course i dont think a 50 mph head on into a curb will be protected against.. ha.
    so my best thing is to "stop crashin" ha. will do jimmy thanks.
    i got some proline road rage tires and i was told they wouldnt fit on stock rims, but i got them on there they seem to be no as tight of a fit as the stock tires, so maybe they dont fit.
    what is the rim size of the stock and what rim size do i need for these tires to fit tightly

RC Qualifier
    get a t bone chassis brace
    Powered by Castle

RC Qualifier
    thats the excat one im getting how do you like it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stock tires are 2.0 and road rage are 2.2"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your message box is full

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Erase inbox and sent tried again says full

RC Qualifier
    so what size rims do i need? 2.2

RC Racer
    I got the t-bone full set and its awesome and if ya want to upgrade the tyres go for 2.2" rims in either the traxxas dished rims or the jconcepts rulux is a popular choice with either dirt hawgs for off/on-road mixed or a decent road tyre. Most people go for buggy rear tyres for width all round on the merv as its 4wd and handles nice...i use canyon at's on hpi wide truck rims for off road bashing and traxxas dished with pro-response tyres for mixed use

RC Qualifier
    well i ordered not long ago already recieved them. a new set of 4 stock rims and 4 road rage tires. didnt know they wasnt made to fit on there. i got them on there and they fit but not as snug as stock. so i had to take them off and put stock back on. and since i only run in the street, i like the tires, i guess i just needed to know what rims to go with them where they'd fit. maybe i should have found out before i bought them. but o well you live and you learn.

so what would be some decent cheap rims to get that would fit?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Like aetious said the jconcepts would be perfect. They bolt right up and work great

RC Qualifier
    are they fairly cheap? i dont have much to spend right now..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsmith87 View Post
    are they fairly cheap? i dont have much to spend right now..
    $12 a pair on ebay

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsmith87 View Post
    i just broke my 2nd front bulkhead in two weeks... yes i am a newb.. any way i also broke the front of the chassis.. should i upgrade to a alum bulkhead? and alum chassis? i know it would add alot of weight, but i am more concerned with strength and duribility than weight.. i am soon going to upgrade the motor and esc so it would help conpensate for the weight a little..
    so my question is disregard the weight issue and only weight issue. should i go with alum bulk head and chassis, just bulkhead and stock chassis, or visa versa?
    if upgraded aftermarket part is suggested what brand should i go with?
    Its already been said but t-bone + stop crashing is best. Are you running a 3s or 12 cells? I would downgrade to 2s or 6 cells in parallel until you learn to drive better if that is the case.

All aluminum trucks can be fun but require a lot of tuning. I heard some people around here say Integy was sub par but my Integy Emaxx was bulletproof. And if you did get aluminum still keep the a arms RPM... yeah, a lot of work.

RC Qualifier
    i was wanting or thinging about going all alum, minus the rpm a arms OF COURSE, not an option there by far they're the best. but since in not so concerned with weight, considering it is already FAST!!!! and thats stock, you could go castle or whatever possiblities are endless for power, thats why i love this thing. but i could go all alum, and be almost bullet proof, and upgrade motor and esc and still be really fast. since i dont race only bash, i think it would be a great idea, but i would like to know from some one suce as you cipher, how it was you know with possible bending of major parts and all.

but to answer your question i mostly run 2s lipo, but some times 2 stock nimh in series.

so tell me more about you all alum emaxx.
    and yall say go to 2.2 in rims, i thought thats what was on it??? what size is on it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Revo stock rims are 2"

RC Qualifier
    so if stock merv rims are 2 in the .2in in the rcconcepts rims are bigger, do they make a big enough difference to tell

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They will fit your road rage and you have more tire selection with 2.2

RC Qualifier
    a lot more
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    im just trying to decide what kind to go with.. i been reading alot about beadlock.. i seen wat they look like but there seems to be alot of debate over them. whats the deal with them?

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Revo stock rims are 2"
    actually, they are mroe of a 1.9" traxxas rim, that use a sideways traxxas bead, that is pretty much proprietary

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    stay away from beadlock way too heavy for you!