Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Wink Project: Desert Rat Sl4sh Neu-Castle MM 2650

Hello all!! A few guys may know me from the Stampede 2x4 forum. I also own a P4de and many other Traxxas RC's. This is my first 4x4 Slash platform, which isnt but a handful of pieces difference. So i'm familiar with it. This is my first actual breakdown of this one though. I purchased a Slash 4x4 roller from RC-Fan this past week ( very good guy ). A few days ago I started tearing the whole truck down cleaning and inspecting it. Right now it is in 1000 pieces. LOL I cleaned everything with degreaser and a toothbrush. Let it dry and polished it up with " No Touch: Perfect Plastic Cleaner ". All my plastics came out loolking like new. Since I cleaned the chassis up real nice I decided to die it black. It came out great. My first time to do this, well for chassis that is. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my build and my upgrades that will be going on this. Pictures will accomodate this progress to. Below is my list of upgrades.

Purchased Roller :
    4x4 Slash Roller
    RPM A-Arms F/R
    3S Battery Extension

My Stock :
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster V3
    Traxxas TQi 4-chan w/ dock

New Stuff, Upgrades :
    Pro-Line Desert Rat Body
    Pactra Polycarb Cobalt Blue/ Indy Silver
    The Powerhouse- Castle Creations Neu-Castle 2650kv
    RPM Bumper F/R
    RPM Adjustable Body Mounts
    Traxxas Sway Bar Kit
    Tekno TKR-6851X Driveshafts & Steering Blocks Fr
    Tekno TKR-6852X Driveshafts & Carriers Rr
    King Headz KHZ-TRX-6860 Traxxas Slash 4x4 Aluminum Motor Mount w/Bearing
    King Headz KHZ-TRX-6893 Traxxas Slash 4x4 Slipper Bearing Adapter
    Hot Racing SLF-1801 Aluminum Heatsink Plate
    Traxxas GPS Module
    Traxxas Telemetry Power Tab
    Traxxas Telemetry Temp & voltage Sensor
    Traxxas Slash 4x4 17mm Adapters ( not sure if they are going to work, maybe mod'd to work )
    NIB Big-Blocks WS Pre-Mounted 1/8 Buggy Tires Glued
    NIB Racingspike BKS Pre-Mounted 1/8 Buggy Tires Glued

This is my start to the Slash 4x4. I'm working a lot of hours. I'll post pictures of all these parts tonight hopefully. Thanks for reading/ & watching my thread.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    This is a signature.

RC poster
    Yes Pictures

RC Champion
    if you're thinking of going with 17mm conversion I would go with the tekno ones. they replace the stubs with larger one and the adapters are made specifically for that. Are you sticking with the stock arms?
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    if you're thinking of going with 17mm conversion I would go with the tekno ones. they replace the stubs with larger one and the adapters are made specifically for that. Are you sticking with the stock arms?
    Yep stock length RPM arms.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I got the package from Tower today. Which included the bulk of the items. But still missing some of the essentials. The Amain order is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

My chassis all dyed up black:

The screws grew rust overnight. These will be mostly changed out with Tony's Screws @ Rc Screws.

Roller parts all cleaned up. I just need to grease the F/R Diffs. I won't be using those shocks. I have a set of Losi Ten T's working their way my direction. Thanks dread for hooking me on them. LOL

On to the Powerhouse the Neu-Castle 2650kv. I still have to swap the spare Mamba Monster with one of my other trucks as my ERBE & EMBE run 2-2S packs. This one has 2 Traxxas connectors in Parallel already. I just need a single Traxxas one.

The Traxxas Sway Bar Kit, Pinions, & Power Tap:

Some RPM goodies, F/R Bumpers & Body Mounts:

The Proline Desert Rat Body & Cobalt Blue/ Indy Silver. I also have a couple of paint masks, not sure which one i'm going to use yet:

.......TBC.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

......CONTINUED..........

I was hoping for the Amain order so I could start building more. But that's ok it'll give me time to grease the diffs & start building the F/R builks. I'm still stuck a little because the Tekno & King Headz stuff isnt in. I'm kinda impatient so I tend to build things fast. LOL

Anyways!! Thanks for looking and reading about my Slash 4x4 build. Oh and I still have to wait for the yummy wheels to.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Looking good digger! Your gonna love this truck. So how about the protrac? Not this one? You can use Tekno, just order 2 sets of Tekno protrac bones. ($40 more). Your gonna need the Tekno 17mm hexes for that set also, as its been mentioned. I'll be watching. 1 more week and I'll be building to lol
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I purchased a Slash 4x4 roller from RC-Fan this past week ( very good guy ). A few days ago I started tearing the whole truck down cleaning and inspecting it. Right now it is in 1000 pieces. LOL I cleaned everything with degreaser and a toothbrush. Let it dry and polished it up with " No Touch: Perfect Plastic Cleaner ". All my plastics came out loolking like new. Since I cleaned the chassis up real nice I decided to die it black. It came out great
    Nice project, I didn't clean it on purpose because I knew you were going to have fun doing it.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.

RC Racer
    Nice looks Clean cant wait too see it Digg that is the same body i'm getting
    LET'S SEE WHAT BREAK'S TODAY

Looking good, my friend. Those pinions are a bit smallish. You can use bigger ones
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Looking good, my friend. Those pinions are a bit smallish. You can use bigger ones
    +2. I run traxxas 18t on my MMM-2200, also not sure what would be the smallest pinions that fits, it is a big can.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    +2. I run traxxas 18t on my MMM-2200, also not sure what would be the smallest pinions that fits, it is a big can.
    It sure is a big can. It makes 20% more RPM than the 2200. I ran 18/54 32P but now 16/40 Mod1.

It sure is a big can. It makes 20% more RPM than the 2200. I ran 18/54 32P but now 16/40 Mod1.
    I have to place another order so I'll add an 18t to it. Any others you suggest? LOL

I'll be posting some pictures later this evening on my build so far. I also got my Amain order to
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Didnt you get an 18T with the motor itself?

Didnt you get an 18T with the motor itself?
    Umm..yeah I just looked at it and it sure was. Thanks bro.

I'm fixing to upload some pics of where i'm at now. Plus the parts from the Amain order. Darn I'm going to have to place another one soon. But this won't stop me from running just not the 17mm wheels.

I'm also thinking about picking up a Savox 1258TG servo.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I just uploaded the pics of the Amain order I got in yesterday. A few more of the goodies.

Tekno F/R Driveshafts:

Any good pointers on installing the Tekno Driveshafts?
    King Headz; Motor Mount & Slipper Bearing Adapter:

I also included in the shot the HR Heat Sink Motor Plate. This is going to look good together.

Any info on any of this install please advise me. I'm open to any help or pointers.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Nice bunch of parts, buddy. The 1258 is a great choice IMO. Works perfectly in my 4x4 Pede.

Looking good digger! Your gonna love this truck. So how about the protrac? Not this one? You can use Tekno, just order 2 sets of Tekno protrac bones. ($40 more). Your gonna need the Tekno 17mm hexes for that set also, as its been mentioned. I'll be watching. 1 more week and I'll be building to lol
    I thought about running the ProTrac kit. I have some RPM arms that need to get used up. LOL I'd like to eventually get my hands on a set of the Arms you are running. I'm planning a future order for those Tekno hexes here within the week.

Nice project, I didn't clean it on purpose because I knew you were going to have fun doing it.
    LOL It wasnt to bad. I have fun cleaning and inspecting stuff. All the gears were good to go. I like tearing into stuff plus i achieve the knowledge of the parts and how they perform. I hadn't busted into my P4de, even though ive had this very same platform for nearly 8 months. Its been broken down 85% so its a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by itsstock10 View Post
    Nice looks Clean cant wait too see it Digg that is the same body i'm getting
    Thanks my friend. I can't wait to paint it up with some graphics on it. I might mask it up here soon when i get the truck together. I'm thinking once i'm done with the Turnaround we are in i'll get right on it.

Yeah I know. What the heck was i thinking i'm going to be running Castle right?? haha

Thanks for the positives guys.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Digger, I don't think the HR motor plate will work with the big can, those three heat sinks will be an issue, probably you can pont them to the back, but not sure. Everything should fit without any mods.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Digger, I don't think the HR motor plate will work with the big can, those three heat sinks will be an issue, probably you can pont them to the back, but not sure. Everything should fit without any mods.
    Kewl man. I was actually thinking about moving the heatsinks to the other side. Thanks for catching that.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Picked up a few more upgrades.

I forgot to pick up Tekno 17mm adapters to mate to their driveshafts. Found a few more things to. LOL

Added Upgrades :
    Tekno RC 17mm Hub Adapters M6 Driveshafts (-2-)
    Savox 1258TG Servo
    Ten T Fr Shocks
    Ten T Rr Shocks ( working on picking up these )
    Outerwears Shroud Cover

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

This is where I'm at currently. Not much but this is a slow working progress. The rear bulk is back together, RPM arms, body mount, & bumper. Next step move to the front. I'll put the Tekno on when I get the 17mm hex adapter kits it.

Not much but a little teaser.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

yes sir! Thats sick brotha! Very nice, Really thought it funny the post stating, 'pics or it didnt happen" lol... If only they knew u like I did.

But I think this is gonna be the next build, and I got a special chassis in mind! Awesome!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    yes sir! Thats sick brotha! Very nice, Really thought it funny the post stating, 'pics or it didnt happen" lol... If only they knew u like I did.

But I think this is gonna be the next build, and I got a special chassis in mind! Awesome!
    Thanks LooT. It's coming along, just slowly. I'm uploading and tweaking my photos from last night. Not much but a little head way. A few parts are keeping me from throttling full speed ahead. LOL Be nice to see ya on a nother build. I had thought about using another chassis but I like the pan of the Sl4sh and its a toughie to. Shoot man I was going to take pics of the killer treads I picked up. They came in Wednsday. I need to start masking off my Desert Rat body. I won't be painting it up for a while though, some nasty weather past couple of days and the next couple arent much better.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Pics ..... or it didn't happen!^^^like im gonna believe you had nasty weather, lol. Loot you gonna do it? Let me know when you order, before you order! I'll have a lil treat tucked in your packaging! A part add on that I felt was much needed. Also, a couple changes have been made for reliability you'll be very pleased with the outcome and changes. Still looks exactly the same just a bit differnt for screws and milling.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

May 11th Update

Haha....Funny dread!!!!

Are there any pointers you can give me on this build. Check out what i've purchased and what you think what else i might need.

King Headz Motor Mount:

I had to switch the heat sinks to the opposite side of the motor so I could bolt the motor up. It came out excellent. Looks great with my KH motor mount.

HR Motor Plate:

The HR heatsinks are awesome! Gonna look clean once i have the whole truck back together.

The big 5mm shaft with the Mod.8 18t pinion. Gonna be a beast for sure.

That's one big motor can. It monted up real nicely though. I cant wait to throw some power to this bad boy. I have the CC 2400kv in my P4de, but it has the 3.17mm shaft. Both the motors are the same lenght but the 2650kv is a little fatter. LOL

Don't mind the 2075 Servo. She's going to be replaced with a Savox 1258TG. Does anyone know if this Servo will need a Glitch Buster running with an MM? No biggie i have a handful for spares.

Any pointers on this install please let me know. I still have a few more items coming my direction. If they arent here by Saturday, should be early next week.

Thanks for looking and supporting guys.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Are those cylinders on the heat sink to help with heat distribution? They look cool.

RC Qualifier
    That is awesome!!! You have a great build going.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Pics ..... or it didn't happen!^^^like im gonna believe you had nasty weather, lol. Loot you gonna do it? Let me know when you order, before you order! I'll have a lil treat tucked in your packaging! A part add on that I felt was much needed. Also, a couple changes have been made for reliability you'll be very pleased with the outcome and changes. Still looks exactly the same just a bit differnt for screws and milling.
    Anything that you could share with me??? LOL Does this apply to a Sl4sh??

Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Are those cylinders on the heat sink to help with heat distribution? They look cool.
    Shooooooot they better. Yeah they should help with heat distribution. Plus a tad little of awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by rc driver dude View Post
    That is awesome!!! You have a great build going.
    Thanks. Really do appreciate it. I hope to get to work on it some more tonight. I went drewling on the market for more upgrades. I'll prolly wait and pick these up later on for some addons to this build. As hard as that is to do. It'll give me more stuff to look forward to.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

No chance to work on the truck tonight. I'm posting a pic of my treads that are going on the truck. This is for my buddy Oaks.

Last edited by DiggerPede; 05-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

USPS was my 'hero' yesterday. They brought me a handful of yummy packages. In those packages were Tekno 17mm hex adapters, Losi Ten T Fr shocks, Blue Outerwears Shroud, & a couple of parts that I snagged for this build to replace. For some odd reason I chopped off part of the pic of the Losi Ten Ts. I'm still trying to hunt down a set of Rr's. Arhhhh

I was able to spend about an hour working on it. I installed the beasty 6mm hubs and 17mm adapters. Man these are clean look'n, also no wobble like the ummm.....stock setup. I like the Tekno bones, sure hope they are tough. Down the road i'm going to upgrade to the set of Lunsford Titanium hinge pins and link set. I could've/ should've bought them, but I need something to tool on next month. LOL

I yank'd the MM speed control from my ERBE, since it was already setup. The new one will go back into my ERBE and i'll re-tweak the settings. Plus if you remember this one has the single leads and the other one was setup for Series stock from castle. Which is good because I had to share a piggy tail between the two. The MM fit perfect and clean. It bolted right up in the pan. Talk about sweet. So far this build has went easy, no major modding or chopping away to get parts to fit. No unnecessary down time. LOL

Side shot of the MM install. I'm so anxious to get this truck complete. Not only to see the finished results but to run it. I bet its going to run like a scalded cat.

Not a whole lot of update but you have to understand I'm working a lot of hours, plus we just had a baby in March, and my 3-1/2 yr old boy keeps me occupied when I get home from work.

Thanks for looking guys.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    You should get a set of xo-1 wheels/tires ....for street runs. thats a sweet setup. im gettin a mamba monster soon.
    Last edited by sbinqnz; 05-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbinqnz View Post
    You should get a set of xo-1 wheels/tires ....for street runs. thats a sweet setup. im gettin a mamba monster soon.
    I can see that in my future for upgrades. This is a perfect platform for a street run setup. I'll keep my peelers out on the MP and fleabay for a set. This will be my mini XO-1.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Savox 1258TG Servo

The USPS guy said the Post Master just ordered him a Cargo Van in lieu of his little mail truck because of me!!!! LOL j/k I got 3 packages in yesterday. I finally get to try out a Savox 1258TG. In my stock of parts for this build are the TQi Rx, Voltage Tab, and Racer's Edge Glitch Buster. Figrued i'd go ahead and shoot a pic of them.

Savox 1258TG

Racer's Edge Glitch Buster 2474

TQi Rx & Voltage Tab

I also picked up a Hakko Tip Cleaner. Hope this works nice. No more stinking wet sponge pad. Ehhh Hopefully.

I also made the WD-40/ Simple Green/ Denatured Alcohol Cleaner concoction.

Now to start churning on this build.......
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    If ur gonna do speed runs, invest in a gyro " E-Sky EK2-0704 " to keep ur truck runnin str8.
    Minds should be coming tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I guess the 2650KV motor is bigger than the stock or 2400kv so you have to reverse the heat-sink on the motor mount like that due to clearance? You won't be able to use stock gear cover because of the reversed HR heat-sink.

Very cool build, I enjoy reading the whole thread. Keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    I guess the 2650KV motor is bigger than the stock or 2400kv so you have to reverse the heat-sink on the motor mount like that due to clearance? You won't be able to use stock gear cover because of the reversed HR heat-sink.

Very cool build, I enjoy reading the whole thread. Keep them coming
    Thanks for tagging along. I hope to get to build on it tonight. I was able to slide the gear cover over everything with the spur in there. Looks like its going to bolt down good. I might have to do a little mod to it. I shouldnt have to bust in there to often. I'm going to run an Outerwears Shrould to help protect some of the bitter particles from entering the gears.

Castle 2650 SPECS:
    Max Input Volts: 16.8
    Amp Rating: 120
    Weight: 13.1oz (370g)
    Motor Diameter: 39.98mm (1.57"), 41.78mm (1.6") (with fins)
    Motor Length: 68mm (2.7")
    Shaft: 5mm (0.20")
    +

Castle 2400 SPECS:
    kV Rating: 2400
    Length: 2.7" (69.5mm)
    Diameter: 1.4" (36mm)
    Weight: 10.6oz (301.5g)
    Shaft Diameter: 1/8" (3.2mm)

They are the same lenght, the 2650 is just a little fatter. Plus it has a 5mm shaft.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Lucky you for not having to dremmel the heck out of your chassis to fit the 2650 in it. You are gonna love that Savox. Still works like a charm in my Pede. I wonder when the 2400 is going to come with a 5mm shaft. Funny thing is that I ordered a bearing for it from the UK, thinking it was faster than from the US. Wrong. So now I order two Avid ceramic ones which will probably be here sooner than the ones from the UK.

Looking forward to the end result, my friend!

Thanks Peter!! I'm so excited myself. I really need to start working on the Lid so it will be ready when the truck is all put together. Kinda hard to do that at 10:00 at night. LOL I still don't know why they don't put a 5mm shaft on the 2400.

I can't wait to run the Savox, this will be my second top of the line servo. My other is a JR High voltage in my ERBE. Its smooth as butter.

You know Avid is <60 miles from where I live. They are a great company to buy from. I ordered one day and got it the next.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore