RC Qualifier

Very Fast Spartan

It was one of those good bad weekends. My seaking esc failed and my boat flipped. The hull seperated down the whole side. I will be shipping the hull back to Traxxas. I will have to find out about the warranty on the seaking 180 esc. My son had much better luck and was running in the low 60 mph range all day. On the last run of the day with the wind and water conditions just right he made his fastest run. His boat was almost all the way out of the water and he new his run was very fast. We brought the boat in and read the GPS. 67.8 MPH I was taking video and I took pictures of the GPS . We were running the Octura x447 prop at the time. My son will put together the video and the pics of the run. Congrats to him on a great job running the boat. We also checked the temps after the run and the motor was 66 degrees, the esc was 88 and the bats were just over 100. With these temps I think we can go bigger on the prop.
    Last edited by SJS; 05-06-2012 at 06:42 PM.

RC Racer
    What motor was this run on??? Using the Seaking 180? 447 has got to be WAY to big for stock electronics.

RC Qualifier
    SJS, thats a fast run! Awesome! Is your son's boat stock electronics? I would guess by the speeds, probably not, but just curious. ESC temps of 88 sound awesome, my stock one gets up to over 225F!

RC Qualifier
    We are running the Leopard 4082 1600KV motor with the Leopard aluminum cooling jacket. The ESC is the seaking 180 amp. The bats are Gens Ace 5000 3s lipos.We are running the dual water pick-up rudder so the motor and the ESC are cooled seperately. We ran the boat all day with over a dozen runs and got the same temps during the day. There is a lot of fine tuning with all the adjustments to make a boat run this fast. It feels great when it all finally comes together.

RC Racer
    That makes perfect sense. Well done!

RC Qualifier
    The sealing 180 leopard 4082 1600kv is a very solid setup.

Congrats on some great runs. Very interested to see the vids and pics.

Hog

RC Champion
    Nice looking boats and well done on the speed runs....And yes it does take alot of tuning and testing to get them to go that fast.....Now for the videos please
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Now for the videos please
    thats what im waiting for you know how it is on this forum no proof "it didnt happen lol"
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Qualifier
    i took the videos with my Sony Bloggie. Not the greatest telefoto lens. But we did get the clear pics of the speed. The speed is for real. My son said he will start working on the videos right now.

RC Qualifier
    im just poking fun at you SJS thats what everyone said to me when i got 67.9mph with my old one

RC Qualifier
    The first thing I thought of when I looked at the GPS was , man only .1 mph slower than the fastest posted. One of the ceramic bearings in his strut went bad earlier in the day and I had to switch back to the bushing strut. I only wonder if the ceramic would have been faster. I shipped my hull back to Traxxas and hopefully they will replace it with the new updated hull. I think my seaking esc is ok as there was water in it and I dried it out . My sons boat does seem to ride better in the water. When he ran the 67.8 his boat was almost out of the water and running very smooth.

RC Qualifier
    I contacted Boca Bearings and spoke with them about the bearing that went bad in the strut. He said it should not have gone bad and he is sending me a new one.

RC Qualifier
    Here is the video of our runs.

http://youtu.be/UwO7R5ZKTg4

RC Competitor
    awesome!!!

RC Qualifier
    Some really nice runs there.

I see you are experiencing the chine walk at high speed, which is common.

hog

RC Qualifier
    it would be nice to see a continuous shot of pulling the gps out of the boat you had some good runs fast you need to get that thing stable it will be faster

RC Champion
    Was the first run on your boat and the second with you sons boat?

Nice video and as stated above .... Ya need to work on getting the boat a little more stable, I know it's not easy but if it was .... well we know that answere.....Good stuff though.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your comments. I brought the wrong charger for the camera and ran out of power. Both runs shown were my sons boat. The last run of the day my camera was dead and his boat ran perfect. No chine walk at all just flat and smooth. Next time I will bring my good video camera and try and do a better job at filming an entire run. Hopefully I will have a new hull fron Traxxas for myself.

RC Champion
    I know what you are saying..... I have had chine walk at 60mph mark and said " I will just run a little slower and enjoy the day" and two sets of batts later...chine walk gone.... I think as the day ends the water gets glassy and helps with stability.

But again my friend, thanks for shairing your rides with us.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Man nice runs. I put the second set of tabs on my boat and it seamed to take most of the chine walk out!

RC Qualifier
    Just got an e-mail from Traxxas saying they replaced my hull and they are shipping it back. Looks like I will have the updated hull now to run with my sons boat. Thank you Traxxas, great service.

RC Champion
    Yes Traxxas does have great customer service....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    just woundering what timing are you using

RC Qualifier
    I run the timing on both boats at 15 degrees. I have never tried any of the other settings.

RC Champion
    I went to view the video again that you posted but it said It was not available. Did you remove it?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    My son accidentally removed it. I will see if he can put it back on this evening.

RC Champion
    Thanks.... I'll try again later today
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    You guys are funny claiming 67+mph on a plastic spartan

Quote Originally Posted by bduncan View Post
    I hope we're not going to have a problem here but given your history of an "expert-on-all-matters" posting style, that's doubtful.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bduncan View Post
    I clocked 51 mph on the stock setup in choppy water and wind.....Plus I know it had more. I was just scared to flip in the pond and have to go in the duck water.

So stop trolling
    Once I put in my leopard 4082 it will no doubt go 67+

RC Champion
    Nice speed for conditions..... Clear air and smooth water will allow for an increase of about 4 more miles per hour....

Speeds in the mid 60's + do not come easy in a Spartan and motor and prop alone will not allow a person to achieve those results.

A lot of fine tuning will be required to keep any RC boat in the water at those speeds.
    I have clocked 63.9 mph using the stock 1800kv motor and ESC with an Octura M445 prop and the boat was a hand full... It took me several months of testing, tuning etc to obtain that speed and keep the boat in the water..
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

For those who don't know, the above is an example of how to express one's thoughts in a positive, constructive manner.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Nice speed for conditions..... Clear air and smooth water will allow for an increase of about 4 more miles per hour....

Speeds in the mid 60's + do not come easy in a Spartan and motor and prop alone will not allow a person to achieve those results.

A lot of fine tuning will be required to keep any RC boat in the water at those speeds.
    I have clocked 63.9 mph using the stock 1800kv motor and ESC with an Octura M445 prop and the boat was a hand full... It took me several months of testing, tuning etc to obtain that speed and keep the boat in the water..
    Howd you keep it in the water?