RC Enthusiast

Looking for some grippy tires help!

Hey I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on some really grippy tires for street usage. I bought some HPI rubber rally tires yesterday and they gave me the grip and response I wanted and pretty much wore the tread right off of them with one session with them. I obviously know the tires I got are for dirt usage but was wondering what rubber base street tire I should try next that will last awhile.

I've found that the 4-Tec tires provide a nice balance of grip and slip. For auto-like grip I also used some HPI tires.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Hpi X Pattern. A set of D compound have lasted me a year of mixed use. The Pro are grippier, though should wear more quickly (haven't run my set enough to tell). Dirt tires are usually pretty soft so running them hard on pavement will kill them quick.

4tec are also good if you're running hard and hot. Their grip is a bit more edgy than the X Pattern, fwiw.

Steer clear of Austar - they're inexpensive but cheap. I junked a set in a matter of weeks with the kind of usage the HPI XP's just shrug off.
    Last edited by prototyp; 05-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC Racer
    My LHS has some 4Tec tires and wheels mounted and ready to go. Right now I only have the hard plastic drift tires and wanted a little more traction, but still want to be able to kick the rear end out. Do the 4Tec tires allow that or are they still too sticky?

They are a cross between the stock Rally/Mustang/KB tires and sticky tires. Sometimes they kick out and other times they stick. Sometimes they are unpredictable but they are my choice for my Mustang.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Thanks G. That's what I was looking for. Might stop by the LHS tomorrow on the way home from work. They were also having a sale too so maybe some deals.