RC Qualifier

.187 cable setup

After 30 runs, 12 with (6s lipo) my stock flex shaft bit the dust yesterday. Not too happy about it, but the only damage was the shaft and the teflon tube. The stuffing tube will be replaced as well even though it appears intact. Anyhow, after reviewing many threads in the Spartan Forum, here is what I decided to go with for my replacement:

Wholt .187 flex shaft
    Aeromarine 5mm x .187 3 piece collet (AER-1756E)
    Aeromarine .187 Bullet nut (AER-1527)

Since I already formed some replacement 1/4'' brass stuffing tubes from K&S brass, I plan on trying out running just the .187 flex with the 1/4'' stuffing tube and no liner at first like HOG reccomends. Well greased of course!

If heat build up and wear starts to form then I am going to go with the mod SJS did, by running the .187 shaft 9/32'' tube and liner. In addition to the stuff above, I ordered the aeromarine .187 brass tube/teflon setup with the .25 stepdown for the spartan for that option (part # AER-1902). I ordered everything from Rocket City Racing, minus the Wholt Cable.

Hopefully this helps summarize the two .187 options if others are considering upgrading!

For those of you who recently ordered shafts from Jeff Wholt, what is the typical turn around? I sent him an email last week and still have not gotten a reply, but went ahead and ordered the shaft last night to get the ball rolling since summer has started and I want to run the boat!
    Last edited by jetnfast; 05-06-2012 at 09:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You have summarized everything exactly right.

The 3 piece aeromarine coupler is a tight fit on the Spartan but they are a top quality coupler and worth running. I have been running them in both Spartans since day 1.

Jeff is usually pretty good with shipping quickly if he has the parts you ordered in stock. However, Jeff does the R/C stuff as a sideline and works full time in the hospitality industry with summer time being a busy time for him at work.

There have been times I've had to wait a couple weeks while Jeff finds the time to build a few drives and get them shipped.

Hopefully, with it being the start of the season for us Northerners, demand will have been lower and he will have some stock built up and can fill your order quickly.

hog

PS Not sure if Jeff still is, but I know at one time he was supplying Spartan drives for OSE, so you could check their stock as well.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Hog, I ordered it last night, so hopefully Jeff can fill the order relatively quickly. If not I might order a stock .150 setup to hold me over in the meantime. I did not see any on the OSE website, so Jeff might be the only source!

...question for you specifically HOG....how well does the grease stay in the driveline after every run with your setup? Are you still running the.187 without liner? How many runs have you have with it that way? I found the stock setup augered out most of the grease. I am hoping the minimal clearance between .187 drive and the .25 shaft will allow for better lubrication with less space. Maybe that is counter intuitive, but I think that might be the case.

RC Qualifier
    There is a fellow who posts over on OSE that did an extended stuffing tube mod on his Spartan. He installed a longer stuffing tube, extending it past the transom to the strut.

I have done basically the same mod to mine and now the grease stays on the drive shaft pretty good after two runs.

It seems a good mod, the only thing is it is a bit more fussing to adjust the strut angle because you also have to adjust the stuffing tube since it contacts the strut.

I don't know if just changing out the drive and running without the liner will make any difference or not. I had done the mod before changing over my drive.

We have probably a dozen or 18 runs on the spartan with the .187 flex. These were made last summer, and still waiting on the lake to thaw to get started on this season.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    Cool, thanks HOG!

RC Enthusiast
    which struct to go with the .187 flex shaft?? will it fit on to the standard struct?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRX View Post
    which struct to go with the .187 flex shaft?? will it fit on to the standard struct?
    Yes, the .187 cable will fit provided you order it with the correct Spartan stub shaft attached.

You will need to run without the liner, or do the stuffing tube mod discussed above.

hog