RC Competitor

TRX 3.3 rebuild video

Hi All,

Can anyone post a link for a GOOD teardown/rebuild video for the 3.3? Lots of videos on youtube for different engines, but looking for a good quality tutorial video for the 3.3

Thanks

Skholar

RC Qualifier
    It's not a video but this may help you http://traxxas.com/support/TRX-Engin...d-Instructions ?
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chadkillzone View Post
    It's not a video but this may help you http://traxxas.com/support/TRX-Engin...d-Instructions ?
    Thanks...It'll work for me, but I was hoping there was a decent youtube video out there somewhere. I guess I'm more of a "visual learner"
    To be honest I'm doing this way too early in the game..........
    I was out for a quick run with my Slayer yesterday. I only have about 12 tanks run through the engine and break in was done according to the manual. Tuned it to the rich side of "everyday use" Truck has been performing GREAT since I got it. Operating temps below 230F, lots of blue smoke. Getting ready to go home after about 15 minutes and the engine dies!!!
    OK...no problem, cuz I'm out of fuel...no, still half full. turned the truck over and the flywheel is SOLID!!!! Got home and took off the cooling head and there was mushy mixture of metal and fuel sitting on top of the piston. To say the least, I was horrified!!!
    Took it over to the LHS and the nitro tech told me the engine was toast, but he would have to take it apart to see exactly what went wrong. Advised me to contact Traxxas since this was highly out of character for this engine considering how new it is and tuned on the safe side of performance
    Can anyone tell me what happened. To say the least, I'm very upset right about now. I've pulled the engine, but have not had a chance to take it apart. Will talk to Traxxas first!!!

Skholar

Doesn't sound good if their is metal on top of the piston your engine is probable shot. The metal came from somewhere 210 to 215 is a little to cool you would like to keep the engine running around 225 to 250 but never over 270. Just remember running to rich is not good for an engine ether.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    Doesn't sound good if their is metal on top of the piston your engine is probable shot. The metal came from somewhere 210 to 215 is a little to cool you would like to keep the engine running around 225 to 250 but never over 270. Just remember running to rich is not good for an engine ether.
    Sorry...you read my post before I edited it...just checked the temp stored in my thermometer memory and I was running it at 230F yesterday....

I have to say I'm really bugged about the whole thing...I have friends that ABUSE the heck out of their engines and they still run great...I do everything correctly and my is toasted!!!
    Last edited by Skholar; 05-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Youtube will have good videos of engine rebuilds but once you get the hang of it, you could have it completely disassembled and reassembled in 15 minutes. Just make sure the cut-out on the piston and the oiler holes on the rod face the carb and the notches in the backplate face up. Everything else is straight forward and the write-up referenced above is spot on.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Youtube will have good videos of engine rebuilds but once you get the hang of it, you could have it completely disassembled and reassembled in 15 minutes. Just make sure the cut-out on the piston and the oiler holes on the rod face the carb and the notches in the backplate face up. Everything else is straight forward and the write-up referenced above is spot on.
    Well, I strip down the old snowblower on a regular basis to make repairs, so I guess I'll be able to muck my way through it!!

Just so you know you have to take the sleeve out to get the piston off the crank

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    Just so you know you have to take the sleeve out to get the piston off the crank
    Yeah, I'm down to that point now...the con rod "appears" to be in one piece, but the small bits of metal are coming from somewhere. The piston head is jammed in TIGHT!!! Don't know if I'll get it apart or not...

Traxxas 2.5 engine rebuild

I found this video they tear down a Traxxas 2.5 but the 3.3 is the same way.
    Last edited by fallonguy; 05-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    Exactly what I needed...thanks, Man !!

No problem I know it's not the 3.3 but they are put together the exact same way. Maybe one of the marshals can put the links in a sticky.