Thread: 2.5 to 2.5r

RC Enthusiast

2.5 to 2.5r

Hey guys weird question. I recently got back into the hobby last year after owning my nitro stampede since 2001. My n-pede has a 2.5 in it and I'm almost positive it's the short shaft version. My question is is once I finally fry my 2.5 I want to get the 2.5r. Is the IPS version a direct fit? If so what do you use to hold the flywheel in place since the nut would no longer be needed? My final question is can I use the replacement program even though I bought my 2.5 4 or 5 years ago?

Thanks for any input.

all the 2.5R's will fit the nitro pede, not too sure on the part your talking about the flywheel being held on. the replacement program is for any US resident and doesnt matter how long you have had your engine as long as its a traxxas engine either a .12, .15, 2.5, 2.5R, 3.3 it qualifies for it. i would just buy another engine off ebay for the same price and get your old engine so you have a spare carb and parts incase something breaks or goes wrong with your new engine like rod, bearings, carb, and such.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. My question about the crankshaft is on the old pro .15 there was some nut-shaft combo that bolted to the crank to hold the flywheel in place. With the IPS this piece is obsolete so my question is what is used in place of it to hold the flywheel in place?

i think its the same thing just a slight different. i'll have to look at mine next time i take off my CB but think its similar to the pro.15 a little.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. I'm just unsure whether I had to use a random nut for my 2.5 or if I used the pilot nut thing from the pro .15.

i think this is the nut you would need: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDR3&P=SM
    but i'll look if i can still at mine, not sure if it will be the same engine though.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you very much man. That is extremely helpful. I didn't know what to use as a replacement for that part and researched all day for the pede and rustler but didn't try the maxx.