RC Racer

Think I broke my maxx

It was running great then went down on power a little and ran out of gas. New gas, starts right up, revs out but dosent go fast. All shafts are intact. Old max 2.5 converted to 3.3 with foc.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a grinding sound? You may have blown out your diffs. I had the same thing happen to me, just buy the brushless emaxx diffs or if money is an issue, get some 3.3 diffs off of eBay. Good luck!

You can test by holding either the two back or front wheels off of the ground with the opposite wheels planted and try to spin them forward. If you hear any grinding or crunching there's a good chance the diffs are shot. The old style two screw 2.5 diffs cannot handle the 3.3's power.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 05-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.

RC Racer
    If I put one end on the ground and spin one of the tires thats off the ground, the other tire off the ground spins. No grinding noise.If i hold one of the tires thats off the ground and spin the other, I can only move it a little then it locks up.With the front tires off the ground I spin one fast , then stop them with my hands, the exposed gear on the trans spins freely for a few revolutions.

RC Competitor
    Your diffs and drivetrain sounds like theyre working right. I would check your carb settings first. Put it back to factory reset. Also, i would change out the glow plug. That often can solve a lot of problems. Lastly, check your engine seals. Especially in the exhaust. There could be a leak and you could be loosing backpressure
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

Start simple and check the slipper. When you give it throttle and the flywheel is spinning but the tires are not then you need to find where the disconnect is. So if the flywheel is spinning, how about the clutch bell? Spur gear? Input shaft? Output shafts/center driveshafts? Axle shafts? Go right down the line. Where one part spins and the other does not, you've isolated the problem.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    +1 for checking the slipper clutch. Sometimes it's just a matter of needing to tighten that up. Like Double G says, start simple. No need to overhaul the engine if it's not necessary.

I guess the main question, does the engine sound like it's revving normally? If the engine sounds "normal", it's almost certainly the slipper clutch or the clutch shoes inside the clutch bell. Sound is a big part of troubleshooting. Hear grinding -- it's gears. Engine sounds weak -- then it's a pressure / tuning issue. Engine sounds normal, but power not getting to the wheels -- it's a clutch issue.

Also, the 2.5 trannys. Don't they have a one way bearing in them? That may be going out I suppose.
    Last edited by skeletorsue; 05-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.

RC Racer
    The engine was reving higher then normal on the last tank

RC Champion
    The engine is reving higher because there is less stress on the engine. Which means something is slipping I'd do what doubleG said and check down the line from engine to wheels.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Champion
    Could be the engine clutch shoes....
    Slipper clutch as said above me!!!!!!!!!
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Check your flywheel nut, your flywheel may be loose & the nut need tightening.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Thanx , Ill look at it today.