RC poster

slipper clutch??

hey guys!
    i was wondering if anyone has had the motor wind, but the car not move very fast and how to fix it? i have a 2wd vxl. please let me know if u need more info. thanks

RC Champion
    Can be slipper, can be stripped spur or pinion gears. Can be internal trans top drive gear that the pin sheared off.

RC poster
    do i have to take the whole spur gear and pinion off to find out? sry im a complete newbie and have only had the truck a month

RC Champion
    Take the two screws out of the black motor cover. Maybe your motor mount screw loosened and you just need to re-mesh the gear set. Rotate the the large gear (spur) by hand and watch how it meshes with the small (pinion) gear. Sometimes you have and area of the plastic spur that gets messed up. Start here first......visually.

RC Champion
    This might be helpful so you know what you have in the trans and around it....
    http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/580...Qi-24GHz-radio

Look at part #3793, it is the shaft right in the middle of the pic, there are two pins that go through it, one is on the outside of the trans case just behind your slipper assembly, the other is the inner one that has a tendacy to shear or slide out and cause havoc and will require taking the trans cases apart........

RC poster
    i took it apart and the only thing i seen was one of the friction pads broke off on the end right before the hole that notches it in on the disc. the gears wear still meshed, i tightened the screw with the spring all the way down and have been moving it back a quarter turn at a time. should i just buy the rebuild kit?

Yes you'll need to replace the pads for sure, and while its open, replace the disc as well. You can't buy those parts separately so you might as well use them. Should be about $9 at your LHS.

After you're finished tighten the nut all the way down on the spring then back it off 1/4 turn. Make sure you put the spring on the correct way - big side toward the disc.

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    thanks everyone for the responses! im sure i will be back on here with something else that pops up.

RC Qualifier
    Make sure your gears aren't binding either. I had a friend's motor almost fry because of tight gear mesh. (Titan)
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL