RC Enthusiast

is the Proline tranny worth it?

need a new tranny for my rusty xl-5 with a brushless fuze syestem in it.

Should I get the proline it looks pretty sexy but I have heard of troubles with it .

What would you guys suggest I get.

Thanks

RC Racer
    For a rusty, go with the rpm case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    the rpm case dosent come with the gears right. Should I just get vxl stock ones

RC Champion
    Several guys at the local hobby store have stated the proline tranny isn't as strong as they figured. They have blown it out.

The stock xl-5 is the same as the VXL. I you find you do not have a steel idler gear and a steel ring on your diff, simply replace those 2 gears with the current steel gears. Whole lot cheaper than getting a new transmission.

Everyone I have talked to LOVE the RPM case, however, if you don't need a case, what's the use......

Only way I would consider using the ProLine tranny would be for a dedicated and serious track racer, even then I have my doubts.

Stock VXL internals are good and very stout put them into the case of yoru choice. I bought an FLM case years ago when it was the only option and still swear by it but the RPM case looks like a good and inexpensive option as well.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I have both the VXL and Pro-line transmissions. The Pro-line imo is a nice transmission, but needs that steel idler in it to help toughen it up, does run very smoothly, looks great and helps dissipate any heat from the motor onto the aluminium plate.

The all metal VXL trans has been nothing but great for me, aside from being grey, i love it. I did put the Pro-line trans on my Bandit but only because i could and had the spare $$.. I just liked the look of it myself and wanted to give it a go... also a little bit of #%@$ factor i guess... lol

Next build I'd probably try one of the black RPM Trans housings with the VXL's internals.
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys I think I will go with rpm and replace the gears I have.