Exclamation Has anyone seen this problem before?

Well, I finally figured out what was causing my slayer's throttle to stick at 1/2 throttle. I guess some where along the line I lost the c-clip holding the clutch bell and bearings in, so because the c-clip wasn't there, the rubber sealed bearing in the clutch bell fell out, meaning the clutch bell could move back and forth, and that means the gear teeth weren't alined with the spur gear any more, which in the end made the clutch bell's gear teeth to hit the slipper pads, putting HUGE gear teeth indents in the holder that holds the slipper pads in. I guess I should have noticed all of the "fine metal dust" gathering on my slayer, but I thought that was just beacause the clutch bell was wearing in or somthing. I guess I was right, the clutch bell REALLY was wearing in the slipper clutch pads. LOL. Go figure. As anyone else seen or had this happen to them? I'm still lost on why I even lost the c clip and bearing in the first place. PS I want to upload pictures, but I don't know how to. Can someone help me post some pics of the carenge?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    I've never had that problem before, my Slayer has treated me well from the first run.
    Partly because I put an older 3.3 in it before using the one that came with it though.

For pictures you'll need to create a photobucket account, it's free and easy to do. Just go to the website.
    Matthew 7:7

Has it happened? Yes. I've had it happen exactly like that. That clip has to hold on for dear life when the crank is spinning at around 30k rpms! You could use a screw in the end of the crank with some washers or do what I did: pinch the clip a little bit so it snaps right onto the crank and stays.
    The Super Derecho

If the front clutch bell bearing fails, the e clip will often pop off and then the bearing falls out. (Be sure to install the Teflon washer between the bearing and e-clip)

Unless the clutch bell was somehow interfering with the throttle linkage, I don’t see how it would be the cause of the sticking throttle issue.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I want to upload pictures, but I don't know how to. Can someone help me post some pics of the carenge?
    It's really easy to do first post the picture on a site like photobucket (you can't up load to traxxas from your own computer)Then after it's uploaded you move your mouse over the picture (don't click on the picture) in your album and a pop up will appear at the bottom you will see IMG code left click on that box and it will say copied than just paste into the reply section some thing like this will appear.

[IMG]with the info from photobucket in here [/IMG]
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

It was because the bearing was missing and the energy from the truck coasting would roate the spur gear. Normaly this wouldn't happen because the bearings make it easy for the clutch to "rotate freely" so the clutch would spin with the spur gear without turning the engine with it. The missing bearing caused more drag on the one bearing left, so when the clutch bell would turn, the engine would turn with it. It also explains why the throttle would only stick after I'd let go of the throttle and the truck would coast to a stop. The engine would idle normal when the truck was at a standstill, not when the truck was moving. That also explains why the throttle would "slow down" as the truck slowed down. Then when it stoped, the throttle would go back to normal until the truck was moving again. I hope that explains what was wrong...PS thanks for the help with the pics.... I should be able to get pics on tonight! (I hope...)

Here is the damage the loose clutch bell did... And this dust was caused by the clutch bell hitting the slipper clutch pad holder...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-04-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Adding a picture

IMHO, it looks better. That's what happened to mine.
    The Super Derecho

You could probably use it like that but I would rebuild the slipper clutch it would only be around 15.00
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    I would fix the clutch bell and run the crap out of it, those teeth marks will have no affect on how the slipper holds

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted metal View Post
    I would fix the clutch bell and run the crap out of it, those teeth marks will have no affect on how the slipper holds
    I agree, just get a new clutch bell and you should be good to go.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    yea you'll be fine running with the backing plate like that been running with mine like that for alomost a year now.