RC Competitor

Tree wins this round

Bought a SCT 1410 3800KV Castle combo tonight. My son broke the steering servo horn right out of the servo, and shattered the cap off the Factory Team B4 shock.

I wonder what damage he'll do once I get that motor installed.

RC Qualifier
    lol time to get a better bumper

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    2wd RPM Slash front bumper, next time the tree will fall over. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Kinda reminds me of George of the jungle. lol
    pede vxl rusty cc sv2 tacon 3200kv

RC Competitor
    So I stayed up late, repaired all the damage, removed the stock electronics and cleaned up the truck. I mounted the motor and set the 16T pinion, mounted the ESC and started to route some wiring, and thats when I ran into a problem.

I cannot get 2 of the 3 bullet connectors to mate properly. They absolutely will not push together. One wire was fine, no issues at all.

Looks like a call to Castle in the morning to have 'em send me some replacements.

You can squeeze the 4 pieces of the male bullet gently closer together with pliers. That might work.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    2wd RPM Slash front bumper, next time the tree will fall over. LOL
    I AGREE 2WD SLASH FRONT BUMPER is a must for your son!
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Castle Creations had a batch of bad 4mm bullet connectors a while back. I bought a bag of them at the end of last year and although they seemed impossible together by hand, I got some of them to join by using two pairs of pliers and some brute force. The rest I got together by using emery cloth or sandpaper on the male to wear it down little bit at a time while trying to push em together each time, until they finally snapped together. A little dielectric grease would help too if you have some.*

You're not the only one who got an esc with these bad connectors, I've read about this problem a lot.*

If all else fails and you can't seem to get them together and don't see yourself swapping the combo outta the truck any time soon, just push em together as far as you can, then solder em together. If castle sends you new ones, you can just leave them soldered together until the day you need to take the combo out, then de-solder the bullets and replace with the new ones. Soldering the bullets will also have less power loss than the bullets by themselves, so it's a win win. just make sure to slide some shrink tube down the wire BEFORE you solder and then shrink it over the soldered connection after it cools, to ensure it doesn't short out against the other connections. Hope this helps, good luck!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Competitor
    Yay got to play with it finally!
    Yay, easy to set up without castle link
    yay, calibrated in less than 30 seconds
    yay, new sidewinder with included ESC fan

Boo, slower than the Reedy 13T
    Boo, 130deg F can (wanted to go from 16 - 19T pinion)
    Boo, popped shock cap
    Boo 25 minute run time on a 5000mAh pack
    Boo, few wheelies.

First off what are you geared? I'm geared 19/83 and get great speed and run times. My SPC 2S 4700 25c packs gave me 35+ mins. I can pull wheelies at 3/4 throttle. Hmmmm..... How is your slipper setup? Tell me a little more about your truck.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Lol, I'm not laughing at your boo's but did you plug in your esc to the motor with the wire colors all the same and then reversed your throttle channel number 2?

Sorry, let me explain...I recently picked up a castle combo recently and was unsatisfied with it's performance. I plugged each wire into it's matching colored wire (bullet connectors) and saw the truck went in reverse when I pulled the trigger, so I reversed my channel 2. It wasn't until a decent amount of trouble shooting that I found I had more power in reverse than forward somi switched a pair of wires and switched the channel 2 back and presto! I had the lost power I was looking for
    Last edited by Oaks; 05-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    Gearing is 16/90
    Running a 6 cell nimh 5000mAh
    Slipper slips for about 2 feet on short grass, no slippage on dirt/gravel. I think it might be a tad bit loose but I wanted to be cautious on the first run to not strip anything, due to the power I was expecting. Even if it was tight, there is not a chance it would pull wheelies at 3/4 throttle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Lol, I'm not laughing at your boo's but did you plug in your esc to the motor with the wire colors all the same and then reversed your throttle channel number 2?
    Hmm, motor wires are connected correctly, I did not reverse the tx. Unless it was already done. I'll check.

RC Qualifier
    get the stampede 4x4 front bumper
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Racer
    my mom hit the grag with my truck

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    Gearing is 16/90
    Running a 6 cell nimh 5000mAh
    Slipper slips for about 2 feet on short grass, no slippage on dirt/gravel. I think it might be a tad bit loose but I wanted to be cautious on the first run to not strip anything, due to the power I was expecting. Even if it was tight, there is not a chance it would pull wheelies at 3/4 throttle.
    That's your problem a 6 cell nimh is 7.2v. I would barely recommend nimh with a CC combo. If you plan on staying with nimh i'd at least go 7 cell/ 8.4v pack. But you really want to wake it up with LIPO. And even with that you could go 19/90. Your slipper is ok. Move up the the world of power. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Check my post edit! You may want to test if you have more power in reverse that forward... If so, switch a couple wires

RC Competitor
    ch2 switch is same as ch1, and if you are referring to the cable being plugged into the rx the wrong way round, it could be, but wouldn't that stop it from working?

Yay, easy to set up without castle link
    yay, calibrated in less than 30 seconds
    Did you calibrate the controller to the ESC?

Hmm, motor wires are connected correctly, I did not reverse the tx. Unless it was already done. I'll check.
    Do what i just said above.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    No wires from the esc to motor. Red white and black

RC Competitor
    Motor wires are correct.

I will re calibrate, but I cant run the car now - we are having a pretty decent thunderstorm and I have about 2" water on my lawn

RC Competitor
    oh and there looked to be more power in forwards than reverse - but not much. I'd say reverse was 80 - 85% of forwards.

I am going lipo - got an order in for a 6200mAh 2S SPC

RC Competitor
    Ok, all I did was calibrate it again, and it is soooooooooo much faster. It does pull wheelies now! Even on wet grass. I only ran it for a couple of quick pulls then brought it in as there is a lot of water out there.

Had to tighten up the slipper as it slipped for 8 - 10 ft
    Last edited by JMG; 05-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i have the same issue JMG im running a 7cell on my castle 3800 and velineon seems to have more top speed and better wheelies the vxl setup is geared 17/90 and the castle 19/86. I will recalibrate mine this weekend and see and possibly change two wires and see what i get
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Champion
    oh and there looked to be more power in forwards than reverse - but not much. I'd say reverse was 80 - 85% of forwards.

I am going lipo - got an order in for a 6200mAh 2S SPC
    Life will never be the same! until you get a 3S pack Still tho, I'd be interested in seeing what happens with your temps once you get powered up

Just bumping up to LIPO will drop your jaw. For the Castle combos you at least need 120a min - 140a recommended - anything more the merrier.

Be sure to read Pg.3 of you Castle Creations Driver's Ed Guide.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    ok so will my traxxas 2s 5800mah 25C battery be enough for it?? How do you find the amps the battery is putting out again?? Say with this is it 5.8A x 25c= Total amps?? which would be 145A??

RC Competitor
    Question, why did recalibrating fix this? Nothing else changed except the pack was recharged. It is SIGNIFICANTLY different now.

RC Competitor
    When you see the number 25C what this means is 25 x C. C = Capacity.
    Som your pack as you rightly said is 5.8 x 25 = 145A max peak output current.

RC Qualifier
    If the remote wasnt programmed to the esc with full forward when first happened or maybe it was set to 70/30 instead of 50/50 or even if you had the channeled reveresed when you set it it would cause your forward to be not right recalibrating it with the right setting and holding the throttle full programmed it to where it was supposed to be

awesome JMG thanks i will charge my 5800 and put it in and see if it wakes up the castle compared to the stock traxxas 7 cell pack

Question, why did recalibrating fix this? Nothing else changed except the pack was recharged. It is SIGNIFICANTLY different now.
    Did you calibrate the ESC to the Tx from the start? Its a good habit if you make any changes to the ESC via the Castle Link software to re calibrate them together. Its a quick & easy process. I do it on ocassions just to make sure they are still good to go.

mah x " c " / 1000 = A

Most of my packs now are 270A - 348A. Boy are they HOT. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    I did calibrate it. I did that, put it down on the ground and ran it until LVD. Picked it up, charged it, re calibrated it, ran it and it was fine. Nothing else changed.

RC Competitor
    So it dried up enough for us to go out for a quick bash session, and this is much better now. Pulls wheelies pretty easy and I think I could even tighten up the slipper another 1/8 turn. Obviously not a massive top speed because of the low gearing but its much much better than it was before. But the big surprise was that temps dropped considerably in the motor, and the ESC was cool to the touch. So something must have been an issue the first time around. Also what I noticed was the truck was still going ok when LVD kicked in. I charged it and was able to get 4209mAh back in. About 400mAh more than I was able to put in when I ran the Titan to the point the truck would barely move. Also noted that the battery was luke warm to the touch where it was a bit warmer with the Titan.

Gotta love efficiency!