RC Racer

Tmaxx 3.3 spur gear

So I was out just messing with my tmaxx that I purchased a few weeks ago for 150, and today I stripped out the spur gear, there was some engine screws missing so it was loose and I think that's why what happened happened, so I'm liking to upgrade to a metal gear, does any one have any experience with that? Do I have to replace any other parts? The 58t stock plastic spur was what I striped

Thanks

Metal spur: Just say no!
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    So stick with the stock?

RC Qualifier
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    I have to disagree with that. i have been running a Robinson Racing Products (RRP) 72 tooth steel spur gear for the last year to year and a half give or take with no issues to speak of. Gear mesh is perfect between my pinion/bell gear and the spur gear and thats where a lot of people fail to make sure that the gear mesh is within reason and the engine mount screws are tight at all times. I just do routine checks and make sure that all screws are tight after running all of my vehicles. I'm sure I will get some negative feedback. I'm just stating my opinion and to each his own. No pun intended.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC Qualifier
    +1 with Monte. I also run the Robinson Racing spur gear and have no issues. Proper mesh and tight engine screws are vital.

Proper mesh and tight screws all around are vital to a plastic spur and a steel spur. If all is well, a plastic spur will suffice.

I’m not disagreeing with anyone one who uses/prefers a steel spur, but it is entirely unnecessary and it can cause more problems related to drive train failures than a plastic spur.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    I'd rather the plastic spur gear strip than use metal and have a problem inside the transmission or other places. I have never stripped a stock spur gear in the 3 trucks I've had. Just gotta spend some time making sure the mesh is right and all off the screwsare tight. It may still strip for another reason but it is cheaper and easier to change compared to some other transmission and other problems that can come up because of a metal spur gear.
    Just my opinion.

RC Competitor
    Last time I had loose engine mount screws, it vibrated so much that I put a hole in the side of the engine lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Proper mesh and tight screws all around are vital to a plastic spur and a steel spur. If all is well, a plastic spur will suffice.

I’m not disagreeing with anyone one who uses/prefers a steel spur, but it is entirely unnecessary and it can cause more problems related to drive train failures than a plastic spur.
    +1 The stripped spur is not the problem,, it is the symptom CAUSED by the problem. FIX the problem, do not cover it up by MASKING the symptom.

Plastic spurs strip for a reason, and the reason is not because it's plastic. But they ARE designed to give way, to be a weak point preventing damage to your driveline in extreme cases. Like a rock jammed into the driveline while driving....

So,,, What causes a plastic spur to strip?

1. Bad mesh between the spur and the CB.
    2. A loose motor mount screw or stripped hole in the motor mount allowing it to move under load.
    3. A loose tranny bolt allowing the tranny to move while under load.
    4. Taking a jump and landing hard causing the chassis to flex, when the chassis flex's the mesh changes and you are on the throttle at the same time. (common). This also causes the stock tank to break at the legs sometimes.... The fix,,, Aluminum chassis braces OR a stiffer chassis AND some better throttle control.
    5. All the above mixed AND having a slipper too tight. Black tranny owners I highly recommend using 12 red pegs so you do not have to tighten the slipper as much.....
    6. Bad bearing in the CB.
    7. something causing a binding in the driveline, bad wheel bearing, brka e pads not letting go of the brake disc, etc. (note this is normally accompanied by high temps).

Yes, setting the slipper correctly on a steel spur should help things, then again, I'd rather have my regular spur strip so I know there's a problem somewhere and not wait for a fatal failure like a tranny gear or diff letting go...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    +10 for NN's explanation. That is amazing.
    I have no stress because I am the best!

RC Racer
    I already know the problem, it was a loose engine, my question was if I purchase a metal spur, is there anything else I have to change... The engine mount was missing 1 screw also, just one of those things from but used RC's

RC Qualifier
    If you purchase a metal spur, it's always a good idea to get a hardened steel clutch bell as the stock ones have a tendency to strip.