RC Enthusiast

Custom Roll Cage

Just got finished with a rollcage I built for my Slash. It is intended to be run without a body and hopefully will keep me from going through a body every couple of sessions.

I really like my JConcepts tray cover and it keeps all of the crap out of the tray. None of the current products on the market let you use the tray cover, or offer easy access for battery changes. I hinged this one in the back so it allows me to still do both.

After a couple of light runs, (havent really bashed it yet), it seems to really strengthen and support the chassis. The whole thing, with the mounting brackets included, weighs less than a pound and is barely noticeable in terms of speed and handling. (I am not concerned with track times) In fact, the added weight and strength make the truck feel more aggressive for off-roading.

Just thought I would post it because I would like to hear what the people who know and own Slashes think......

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...913Resize2.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...733Resize1.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...759Resize3.jpg

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Where u find that netting? Looking for that for mine!

RC Enthusiast
    It is a screen netting but not exactly sure what type of screen. I combined it with a metal mesh screen behind it. Found both of them at a local hardware store. They were both on big rolls and material was sold by the foot. Really cheap and easy to use.....

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. Thanks. What's the cage made of?

RC Enthusiast
    very cool i like it

RC Enthusiast
    No problem, found them at ACE hardware specifically if it helps. They had a bunch of good material choices for all sorts of applications...

I used 3/16" steel rod for the main frame and 3/16" brake tubing for all of the rest. The mounts, etc., are all flat stock steel. I used a wingnut to secure the front end of the cage and a combination of soldering and brazing to put it together.

RC Qualifier
    Wow! Some skills.

RC Enthusiast
    Thx! I would do a couple things differently on the next one but all in all I am pretty happy with the first attempt

RC poster
    Looks sick man. Gave me some ideas for a project I have on the go. Great job

You did an excellent job! Home made is way better than store bought! That is something to really be proud of!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    So, I took it out to run a couple of packs through it this morning. After a couple of packs and several hard landings/rolls I brought it in and had broken the rear shock tower. I am working on a way to give it more support on the rear tower but am also going to upgrade the tower. I really like the RPM stuff, (my arms and rear hub carriers are RPM), but am thinking about going aluminum also. Looking at the STRC towers at RC Planet. Anybody have any experience with these or any recommendations?

Another option would be to upgrade to the ProLine ProTrac system but I dont know how tough those towers are. Anybody know?

Rpm makes great towers! I have had mine for over a year! They have been run over by a car and are still good!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    I took your recommendation and went with the RPM tower. I have about 15 packs on it, with some pretty serious bashing, and no problems. It is so strong that I am not concerned with any further support on the rear mount. I don't know how RPM stays in business selling parts as strong as theirs.....haha

I am working on another cage now that will be a little bit lighter and will have a lower profile. Slightly different style as well.....thinking it will look something like the Axial Exo Terra and will include an integrated light bar.

I will post pics of the new cage when I get it done and will include update pics of the original

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't even started the second cage yet but I cut a body to fit over the cage so I figured I would post some pics. This body was beat up and the inside had already been painted so I had to paint the outside of this body. It came out better than I thought it would.