RC Qualifier

Are hard pack lipos waterproof?

Just wondering cause I just bought a 2s 5500 7.4
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Racer
    I think some a "water resistant". I have a gens ace 30c and it looks like it has a rubber gasket where the wires come out and a 25c that doesn't . One has a rectangle case 30c and the other has a rounded case with a ROAR sticker .

RC Qualifier
    Most all batteries are "waterproof" and will work in water.
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn

Quote Originally Posted by wmckay96 View Post
    Most all batteries are "waterproof" and will work in water.
    I would have to respectfully disagree. Although you may not see fireworks immediately after submerging a pack most packs are not water proof and if submerged or exposed to excessive amounts of water they will suffer damage from corrosion in short order because most hard cases are not water proof and water will get into the case.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    i think that every brand that states waterproof need to state water resistant, my Venom 2s pack is water resistant for sure, i ran it through water many times and it still works like a champ, i am not sure about other hard packs, but venom do make water resistant hard cases

I'll check my battery packs when i get home. I don't know if they're advertised as waterproof...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    The only Lipo's I know of that are fully warterproof are Some of the MAX APMS ones. The others will have a little water resistance, but you need to be careful not to get them too wet. If you do you chance shorting them out and then POOF! It's destroyed.. The NIMH batteries are ok to get soaked. They won't go up in flames. I know that from personal use.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for correcting me i just realized that my lipo's have no case and are siliconed around the conections!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I would have to respectfully disagree. Although you may not see fireworks immediately after submerging a pack most packs are not water proof and if submerged or exposed to excessive amounts of water they will suffer damage from corrosion in short order because most hard cases are not water proof and water will get into the case.

Thank you for correcting me i just realized that my lipo's have no case and are siliconed around the conections!
    If your lipos have no case are you saying they are a soft pack? If that is the case then what is making them water proof? Typically if lipos dont have a hard case they are shrink wrapped and shrink wrap is definitely not water proof.

In short if your packs are not advertised as water proof I would be willing to bet they are not water proof. You are asking for problems if you are assuming they are water proof but that is only my opinion.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    they are shrink wrapped but they have been sealed somehow... i just took them out and dunked them in my pond and let them sit there for 3 mins. when they came out they worked as good as new

they are shrink wrapped but they have been sealed somehow... i just took them out and dunked them in my pond and let them sit there for 3 mins. when they came out they worked as good as new
    Well I hope they are indeed water proof but like I posted in an earlier post they may be working fine now but if they are not water proof and water got inside the wrap the water may start to corrode the contacts inside the pack causing you problems down the road.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    i'll let you know if they have problems down the road but the only time i've had problems with my batteries and water is when they got submerged in salt watter.

i'll let you know if they have problems down the road but the only time i've had problems with my batteries and water is when they got submerged in salt watter.
    That kind of proves my point. Salt water just makes the corrosion happen faster but it shows that the water got inside the pack and pretty much proves they are not water tight and therefore not water proof.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    yes it does... but it was in salt water for about 24 hours because i dint know about it, every thing got coroded my esc, my turnbuckle,s my motor shaft... but i still have the same batteries because only the conectors got corroded.

yes it does... but it was in salt water for about 24 hours because i dint know about it, every thing got coroded my esc, my turnbuckle,s my motor shaft... but i still have the same batteries because only the conectors got corroded.
    How did that happen? 24 hours submerged in salt water and you didn't know?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    i was on vacation in mexico and our cabana was on the beach and all our stuff was unloaded out side and i was driving my truck and somehow it rolled from off the beach into the water... ya i know im goona get critisized but it taught me to keep better care of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    How did that happen? 24 hours submerged in salt water and you didn't know?