RC Competitor

Discharging a LiPo?

How exactly does "discharging a lipo" mean? Is it necessary to do it?

RC Champion
    The only reason to discharge a LiPo is for storage, each cell should be around 3.8 volts.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

that info is correct, if the lipo is above 3.8v per cell then the charger will discharge it to bring it to 3.8v's if the lipo is below like at lvc 3.4v then it wont discharge it will charge it up to the 3.8v storage charge.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Alright, thanks guys.

RC Enthusiast
    Can I discharge a Lipo at same C-ratings as I charge them ? (If I got a charger with that kind of discharge power...)
    Summit 1/10,dW
    Digger 1/16,2.4z,4wd,XL5,LED
    SPC

Quote Originally Posted by KingSize View Post
    Can I discharge a Lipo at same C-ratings as I charge them ? (If I got a charger with that kind of discharge power...)
    Traxxas LiPos have a maximum charge rate of 2C and a continuous discharge rate of 25C, so yes. If you are referring to an off-vehicle procedure, the trick is getting a charger capable of doing so.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I'm new to lipos and had the same question. I bought a used brushless e-revo that came with 3s lipos and the LVC seems to kick in at around 3.4 where the car shuts down.

When they have cooled, I throw them on the charger and monitor the lipos until they hit between 3.80 and 3.85 and then take them off the charger to store.

Is this the proper procedure? I have a Traxxas EZ Peak 6 amp charger that didn't come with a manual so I'm not sure if there is a storage setting on the charger. I went through the menu a few times and didn't see anything that indicated "Storage".

Thanks!
    Mark

RC Qualifier
    Scroll through the options for lipo. There is a setting that will charge or discharge to storage voltage automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark94 View Post
    I'm new to lipos and had the same question. I bought a used brushless e-revo that came with 3s lipos and the LVC seems to kick in at around 3.4 where the car shuts down.

When they have cooled, I throw them on the charger and monitor the lipos until they hit between 3.80 and 3.85 and then take them off the charger to store.

Is this the proper procedure? I have a Traxxas EZ Peak 6 amp charger that didn't come with a manual so I'm not sure if there is a storage setting on the charger. I went through the menu a few times and didn't see anything that indicated "Storage".

Thanks!
    Mark
    The manual is on-line too.
    Manual
    Alt-248 on the number pad =