RC Champion

Cheap Exhaust Modification

Hey guys I just did a little mod to my Slayer's exhaust system to prevent any vestigial oil from from covering the back bumper.

What do you think, go or no go?
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    I think its great idea and its going to work now just find something differenet to use to make the bling factor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Hey guys I just did a little mod to my Slayer's exhaust system to prevent any vestigial oil from from covering the back bumper.

RC Qualifier
    I think it's great idea and it's going to work, now just find something different to use to make the bling factor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good, you will have to re-tune your engine, check your temps...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    Ok great. Yeah I've made something similar to this before on my T-maxx with a piece of copper pipe that I polished up.
    I wish it looked a little better but I'll probably be replacing it regularly due to the fact that the stinger now sits on the edge of the bumper. It'll most likely get chewed up quickly.
    Yeah I'm going to keep an eye one the engine during the first run.
    Thanks guys.

Look like a great idea but just be careful when you add things to the exhaust it can mess up the tune.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

I personally would cut it shorter and route it straight out the right side of the bumper. Try both and see how both methods affect tune and possibly power.

RC Competitor
    i put a little bit of poly pipe on the end. it worked for a run then it melted
    You don't need to plug Nitro into the wall

RC Racer
    thats going to effect your tune and power, I would just clean back end of your truck with alcohol if the grime bothers you.

I'm curious myself if the pipe being that long on the stinger might affect the "Scavaging" process of the pipe a little. That would hurt performances if it did....

Report back with an update OK? Vid's would be cool If it does affect the pipe, it's going to show in performance especially at mid to top end.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I'm curious myself if the pipe being that long on the stinger might affect the "Scavaging" process of the pipe a little. That would hurt performances if it did....

Report back with an update OK? Vid's would be cool If it does affect the pipe, it's going to show in performance especially at mid to top end.
    Ok, I'm traveling to Gatlinburg today for the weekend, I've been very busy but I think I might have time to run the truck sometime next week.
    I'm curious also, I'll be running my old 3.3 that has been modified so it probably will not have all the 'grunt' that it did when it was new, but I doubt it will cause much of a change. I'll try to post a video, thanks

I have the Buku pipe and I called them about running the traxxas exhaust deflector on it. They told me they have never tried it but recommend not to use them because it could mess up how the pipe works.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Competitor
    I put a 1 inch bit of metal pipe in the end of mine yet to start up .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lachrox568 View Post
    I put a 1 inch bit of metal pipe in the end of mine yet to start up .
    Keep us updated on how it runs, please. I'll try to get get some results up soon of my mod.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

Report back with an update OK?
    Why not try a 'please' in the front of that sentence?

RC Racer
    Any news on how the extensions have worked? I have a piece of Alum tubing I was thinking of doing the same thing with.

RC Competitor
    its runing fine with the metal, not over heating.I would recomend it, theres no oil all over the body and no power loss. might have to richen it a tad but all good.

After I read this thread, I wanted to try somthing like it. So a got a piece of clear rubber hose and I ran it out of the hole in the bumper right behind the exhaust, and so far it works GREAT! No oil all over everything, and it didn't mess up the tune at all! (I hope I can get some pics tommorow... )
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Yeah I'm convinced five inches of tubing doesn't effect tune in any noticeable degree.
    I'll try to run my truck soon and put a video up, I haven't had time and the truck is just sitting there waiting ugh lol.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    After I read this thread, I wanted to try somthing like it. So a got a piece of clear rubber hose and I ran it out of the hole in the bumper right behind the exhaust, and so far it works GREAT! No oil all over everything, and it didn't mess up the tune at all! (I hope I can get some pics tommorow... )
    Nice, yeah please post some pictures, I'll try to get a video up soon hopefully.

RC Champion
    Oh just another common sense note guys, make sure the hose that you use is in a level position.
    What I mean is don't position the tube in a way that the outlet is higher than the stinger, unburned oil could build up and cause a loss of power. But as long as the slope is not extreme, the pulse of exhaust should clear out most of it and it'll be fine.
    Just a thought

RC Champion
    its runing fine with the metal, not over heating.I would recomend it, theres no oil all over the body and no power loss. might have to richen it a tad but all good.
    Great, any pictures?

RC Competitor
    No, no pictures yet not to sure how to upload them.

One thing to keep in mind is that any exhaust deflector made commercially seems to be using high temp silicone. The temperature of you exhaust pipe itself likes to be hot. The heat helps it perform better, in fact you get more low end torque when you are using a pipe that retains the heat well. Part of the 2 stroke tuning principles. So be careful when trying to use a metal tube added onto the exhaust, it may act as a heat sink and cool the pipe down too much.

Sounds like you have yours within a tolerable length... Could you post a pic?
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor

After a backyard bash

Sorry about the delay in posting pics, I forgot... Anyway, it works GREAT and it does not melt or warp in any way when it heats up! I like how the smoke trail comes out nice and thin, so it "hovers" aroung the ground longer, acting like fog! It also gives it a "raspy" sound because the sound echos as it goes through the pipe! The best part is it was free to add and it keeps the back of my slayer oil-free!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Sorry about the delay in posting pics, I forgot... Anyway, it works GREAT and it does not melt or warp in any way when it heats up! I like how the smoke trail comes out nice and thin, so it "hovers" aroung the ground longer, acting like fog! It also gives it a "raspy" sound because the sound echos as it goes through the pipe! The best part is it was free to add and it keeps the back of my slayer oil-free!
    that looks really good, and a better spot then the original stinger too. ive ripped mine of so many times and looking for it in grass is getting old. also super clean car.

RC Champion
    Very nice, looks like you like keep your vehicles clean as I like to do (I'm a 'clean-freak' lol).

RC Champion
    Sorry for the delay guys, still busy and it's been raining lately
    I'll get some asap.