Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Enthusiast
    petertje60..your missing the point, what iam saying is you guys that run these rustlers balls out say that 70 mph isnt fast,and that RC drag racing is boring..and that would be easy to do..and iam saying yeeah you guys do speed runs but in a large area and you are not confined in your speed runs .and RC drag racing isnt as easy,so what iam saying is ,take those insane rustler and try to run them down a strip where you cant cross any lines. like i have stated in an above post.. iam not comparing them to thesefunny cars,most of these traxxas rustler guys ,think first off the funny car isnt fast,they think RC Drag racing is very easy,and this funny car is unstable,which it is a stable car.. you just have to know what your doing.as far setup,traction, and weight issues.But iam not comparing rustlers to this funny car.
    Last edited by scottman2012; 05-06-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Maybe I am missing your point, although you are clearly talking about doing things with a Rustler that seem an aweful lot like drag racing.
    I am not comparing the two, I am just stating that comparing is not very useful.
    I do speed runs with my Bandit too, but not to brag about it, but just because I like it and I find it interesting. My speed running is about top speed, not about the best acceleration.

Last weekend there was a moment when I was not paying attention well enough and I had to steer around a car quite quickly at around 60mph. That went fairly easy. I am curious if I would have been able to do that with the Funny car.
    Not saying the Funny car isnt good, but just shining a light on things that are (probably) different.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I've got mine and have been running it quite a bit. I think Scottman hit on two key points:

1) Burn out is critical. Burn out until you feel the car begin to grab more traction.

2) Don't expect to run full throttle on a 3S your first run. You will end up upside down sliding down the track. Use the torque control. Tweak it until you are right on the edge of losing control. If you start spinning wheels at the launch, you will lose control. I've been running on a standard parking lot surface and have gotten to the point where I can run full throttle on a 2S with a relative amount of success. I'm still not able to run full throttle on a 3S at all.

The car is a lot of fun to race. I'm a relative novice so I'm sure a lot of guys will be more successful than I am but again, the key is burn out and control.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    After seeing the vid in post #27, I really want to drag race... bad.

If I could do this every weekend, I would quit racing off road and carpet oval and just bash my mts all week.

I will buy this car if I can find a place to compete with it. Using it to just take out to a lot, and drive by myself seems boring, and a waste of my money. Using it to compete would let me finally have a chance at reaching rc racing bliss.

I will be looking for a strip near Pittsburgh now...

RC Racer
    Hey... I was in the middle of replying to a post when it disappeared...

Regardless, what I was going to say was I was amazed at how much mass was near the front of the cars in the pictures. Oh well...
    http://www.tunamaxx.com

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    After seeing the vid in post #27, I really want to drag race... bad.

If I could do this every weekend, I would quit racing off road and carpet oval and just bash my mts all week.

I will buy this car if I can find a place to compete with it. Using it to just take out to a lot, and drive by myself seems boring, and a waste of my money. Using it to compete would let me finally have a chance at reaching rc racing bliss.

I will be looking for a strip near Pittsburgh now...

There use to be a group that got together at the Football stadium a few years ago.. not sure if they are still racing.... We recently got Mike Russell hooked on drag racing.. Mike use to run Sandhills raceway in Vass, NC and holds the Oval Master Race every year in Tenn..... he loves drag racing...

RC Qualifier
    i think rc drag racing is fun with any type of rc onroad and offroad its not all about the speed thats cool but its first to the finish now i wouldnt buy the car myself but im glad traxxas is getting into drag racing rc,s maybe it will become popular
    EMAXX 1480kv 6s
    RUSTLER 2150KV 4S

RC Enthusiast
    your right its is tough but my brothers rustler does alright as far as drag racing goes. i would love to get one of these funny carslol does the jaco foams for the rustler fit the funny cars?

RC Qualifier
    Now that sounds like a Idea to convert them. Things that make you go hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    A stock Rustler is no competition for the Funny car in a drag race. And the stock Funny car is no competition for the Rustler when it comes to bashing. Of course you can convert them to try to match up to the other one by modifications, but that is always an endless discussion.

RC Enthusiast
    the Jaco Foams should fit............ I'll test them out when I get home tonight

RC Champion
    From viewing some vids of the rc cars drag racing, some of the issue is steering control..... I have been using a gyro connected to the steering servo in several of my rc cars/trucks/buggies and it makes a world of difference. The gyro can compensate so much faster when the vehicle vears off line....Stopping as well as under acceleration.

It works on pavement or off road......I like the results.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    From viewing some vids of the rc cars drag racing, some of the issue is steering control..... I have been using a gyro connected to the steering servo in several of my rc cars/trucks/buggies and it makes a world of difference. The gyro can compensate so much faster when the vehicle vears off line....Stopping as well as under acceleration.

It works on pavement or off road......I like the results.
    My 1:1 car has yaw control I never drag race without it on

What type of gyro are you using?

RC Champion
    The gyro I use is an Exceed RC Drift Pro GD-4 and cost about $26. It is a plug an play device and easy to install. It also has adjustable response gain and reverse pots.

I can tell you that on a track like the one I have here at the house, that has loose soil over hard pack, I can turn faster lap times than a Slash 4x4. The only disadvantage is the gyro does not allow as tight a turning radius as with out it.

When we race here at the house in the loose soil over hard pack, the gyro allows for almost perfict straight starts every time.

I should do a small vid some time to show a compairson with and with out the gyro.

I know when I let someone try mine, they are sold and have to buy one.

The one I use works with digital servos the best...
    Last edited by orca44; 10-04-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis