Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Funny Car in Customers hands! (with Pics)!

Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Racer
    Looks good. How does it run? and how fun is it to drive?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice! Does it have a green or blue motor?

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Enthusiast
    So how is this possible,Tower hobbies have none,horizon hobby has none too. traxxas..website even says out of stock..can you say paint shop.

RC Competitor
    Pretty sure they most likely shipped to major LHS's first...

Sent from my DROID X using my fingers
    -JuRRd

RC Qualifier
    Not mine sorry peps!
    Pic taken at Hobbytown USA IL !
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC poster
    I got mine today from the LHS I work at and our case looked the same with 1 John and 3 Courtney's and mine has the green motor.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Does the green motor say Traxxas? Dont even run it. It may be worth some good money in a couple of months if it does.

RC Qualifier
    The motor does not say Traxxas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljd-IS4pDXU
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    I would have thought the major hobby businesses would have them too. Mine is still on backorder through tower.
    Jeremy

RC poster
    Here's a great video from a fan while in Charlotte.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhsU5B_UuE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    The motor does not say Traxxas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljd-IS4pDXU
    That guy on the video almost rips the body off from the rear mounts... Also, does he even know he's not supposed to move the front wheels that fast with a weak servo like the 2080?
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    And now video! Yes, shocked to see they got them so fast.

RC Racer
    Pretty disconcerning that he crashed his brand new vehicle on almost every pass via the clip in post #13. Doesn't look very stable at all if any type of turning is involved.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not impressed, based on the video. No stability whatsoever.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Champion
    lol i forgot it was the funny car video. it was more like a 1/16 revo video with the amount of flipping over .
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    Yea I dont see me getting one I like doing more than speed passes and even those it seemed a little unstable...
    2 Slash's, 1 Nitro Sport, 1 P2DE

RC Racer
    I'm sold on it now. Some suspension work and tuning. It will be something.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys its not that the car is unstable ,RC drag racing isnt easy as everyone thinks.if you go to any RC drag racing most of the cars wipe out in the shut down area,but one thing this guys didnt do is really trim out the steering servo.and not to mention this guy has more than likely never RC drag raced before, it takes a very very very steady hand,and your steering corrections have to be so slight.and its takes some getting used to.its not like road racing or oval racing where you can snap the steering on way or the other.its soo slight on making steering adjustments during a run.yo barely have to move the steering for the car to go right or left in a big way.. its all about learning how to RC drag race..and this is the point i have been making all along to people who say RC drag racing is easy and boring..well its not easy and its not boring.. you have to set up the car just like any other style of racing. this guy should have went out and practiced a bunch before he tried to race the car.its alot harder than you think,and the faster the car goes the the less steering it takes to move the car over one way or the other.
    Let me also tell you why this guy was very successfull on his passes...First thing he is in a parking lot of hobbytown with that bslick black top covering they used.....second, he didnt do long enough burnouts to heat the tires at all,Third... no track preparation was done. most all of your RC Drag Clubs spray down a traction compound on the track to make it sticky....its not that the car is unstable guys,its very stable and all the weight is rigtht down the middle ,like a real funny car....let me ask you guys this ,say a new carpet onroad car came out with foam tires and brand new chassis ..Etc.Etc.Etc..so would it be fair to take this car out in a parking lot and try to race it ??? No... because its a car that runs on carpet, more than likely when racing it on carpet you use traction compound on the tires ..right ?? also yo have to set up the car, and tweek all the settings...so its the same thing here.. this guy didnt prep the area ,didnt do a burnout near long enough at all. really didnt know what he was doing.. So you cant watch this video and say wow the car is junk or unstable. guys this car is made for RC drag racing and there are things that you have to do,like any other form of RC racing. .let someone post a video that RC drag races and you will see a fast stable car make a run. and also in closing.. the guy is an idiot,he was trying to drive the car like a road car and turning it as high speeds ,an one of the first things they tell you.
    Last edited by scottman2012; 05-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by scottman2012 View Post
    this guy should have went out and practiced a bunch before he tried to race the car.its alot harder than you think,and the faster the car goes the the less steering it takes to move the car over one way or the other.
    I'm the guy And you are right, more practice was required for sure. I was on the fence on if we should do all the passes or just the clean ones. I decided to show them all. You'll see clearly that at the end, with the heads up race, the other driver was far better at it. My goal for the day was to see just how fast I could launch it and keep it under control. Let's just say my desire for caution just wasn't there today. Maybe it was the kid inside of me but gnarly Funny Car crashes look cool.

In our area, we have a strong R/C drag racing community and was greeted with LOTS of feedback in the store that day. It's clear they are all eager to own it and tune it. The one things that made me feel good was on my ride home I called Brian of bigsquidrc.com which covers these events and drag races himself. He told me that if I had attended a drag race, I'd realize that a lot of guys try to get the fastest pass out of their car (natrually) and it doesn't always end well.

Given that, I do need to dial some of the steering out. I race Mini-z mostly so I have the finesse but like anyone would tell you, steering doesn't help when the front wheels are off the ground . I just plain need to back off the throttle. I have a new found respect for this segment of R/C racing. I look forward to trying it more. I no longer think it's reaction time reflexes and how much you spend on your car. With that, I can't wait for the timing system and start racing folks and playing the risk/reward game of "how hard will I launch".

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmrjptou View Post
    Yea I dont see me getting one I like doing more than speed passes and even those it seemed a little unstable...
    I would say if your goal is to get top speed runs back and forth. It isn't for you. But with the timing system and some fellow owners, heck yeah this will be fun. Epsecially since the timing system will be so portable. Just find a stretch and race.

RC Enthusiast
    I didnt mean to call you an idiot, its just nothing you were doing was correct and then posting a video,which what happens is you get people on forums to judge RC drag racing so quickly as ,it easy...its boring,anyone can do it...blah blah blah..and its not ,and right away on here you had a comments that were negative..its not stable!!!!!.... well once again you have people that dont understand RC drag racing.and that its very hard to learn.so i retract my statement of an Idiot..you are some one who doesnt know the first thing about the car or how you have to prep the car and track.but i like i said it wouldnt be fair for me to post a video of a new carpet oval car and run it in a parking lot with the foam tires no traction compound and keep hitting the the throttle and seeing it spinout and then say wow what a turd of a car and its very unstable and have no handling..just my point iam making.
    Last edited by scottman2012; 05-04-2012 at 09:09 AM.

RC Racer
    This should make a nice money maker for me on fri nights. Lol!!!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Guys here isa post if yu dont think they are stable..read this.............................................. ....................................Darkside
    iTrader Rating: (1)
    My Photos Join Date: Apr 2012

Traxxas brought a Funny Car protozoa to a local track for a few launches. Im no fan of the manufacturer, but this funny car was launching perfect nearly every time. And the numbers it was putting up were unbelievable. I don't have or ever owned a drag car but i will when this one is available. Im not sure if the car had telemetry or not but i did see one guy repeatedly check hes setup and adjusting my guess the ESC , via IPad....Wireless! I was sold!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSC View Post
    Pretty disconcerning that he crashed his brand new vehicle on almost every pass via the clip in post #13. Doesn't look very stable at all if any type of turning is involved.
    There aren't many hobby class RC's at this level that won't require adjustments.....

Put it on a different surface, different traction, and yeah you may need to change your setup.... Just like the REAL race cars have to do,,,, Drag Racing, OffRoad, any kind.... Suspension and torque control is HUGE....

I may not have one of these things,,,, yet... I used to race Sportsman class 1:1's for about 10 yrs..... Started drag racing when I was 16 back in the late 70's. You don't go pulling them directly out of the trailer fire them up and make high speed passes without some adjustments along the way,,,,hopefully you got it right too.... Cause stability,,,,, that is done by suspension setup, torque control, throttle control (basically the driver).....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 05-04-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Enthusiast
    Amen Nitronaught..its not as easy as everyone thinks. and like you said its just as involved as any other class in RC

RC poster
    I didnt mean to call you an idiot, its just nothing you were doing was correct and then posting a video,which what happens is you get people on forums to judge RC drag racing so quickly as ,it easy...its boring,anyone can do it...blah blah blah..and its not ,and right away on here you had a comments that were negative..its not stable!!!!!.... well once again you have people that dont understand RC drag racing.and that its very hard to learn.so i retract my statement of an Idiot..you are some one who doesnt know the first thing about the car or how you have to prep the car and track.but i like i said it wouldnt be fair for me to post a video of a new carpet oval car and run it in a parking lot with the foam tires no traction compound and keep hitting the the throttle and seeing it spinout and then say wow what a turd of a car and its very unstable and have no handling..just my point iam making.
    Honestly, I didn't think you were calling me an idiot. Did you even use the word? (edit, I re-read it and you did, but still not upset)
    Everything you said is right. I'm a newb at this. However...

Do you think the majority of customers are going to be existing drag racers? Will this be like a rustler where its target is the backyard racer and the "real" racers stick with their losi and associated trucks? (in the case of drag racing, New Era Models).
    In my opinion, I do not see the majority of purchasers of this car going to prepped tracks, using traction compound, etc etc. They are going to take it to the nearest parking lot and race it.

Also, this area is big into RC Drag racing and it will gets it's proper review on a prepped track. All day I listened to how "it should have been this and it should have been that". Foam tires, VHT, silly putty in the diff, grape soda on the pavement, etc etc. Instead, I just wanted to go out and play with it and I did. And I had fun.

As far as my driving, please see the video below. These are guys who know what they are doing. Prepped tracked, well tuned cars. The bottom line is, in this form of racing, it doesn't end well a lot of the time. The fact I got more then 3 to 4 runs in without it turning into a pile of rubble is a GOOD thing.

RC poster
    Agreed. It would be important that a new customer is told this thing needs to be tuned like the full scale cars.

RC poster
    Let me also tell you why this guy was very successfull on his passes...First thing he is in a parking lot of hobbytown with that bslick black top covering they used.....second, he didnt do long enough burnouts to heat the tires at all,Third... no track preparation was done. most all of your RC Drag Clubs spray down a traction compound on the track to make it sticky....its not that the car is unstable guys,its very stable and all the weight is rigtht down the middle ,like a real funny car....let me ask you guys this ,say a new carpet onroad car came out with foam tires and brand new chassis ..Etc.Etc.Etc..so would it be fair to take this car out in a parking lot and try to race it ??? No... because its a car that runs on carpet, more than likely when racing it on carpet you use traction compound on the tires ..right ?? also yo have to set up the car, and tweek all the settings...so its the same thing here.. this guy didnt prep the area ,didnt do a burnout near long enough at all. really didnt know what he was doing.. So you cant watch this video and say wow the car is junk or unstable. guys this car is made for RC drag racing and there are things that you have to do,like any other form of RC racing. .let someone post a video that RC drag races and you will see a fast stable car make a run. and also in closing.. the guy is an idiot,he was trying to drive the car like a road car and turning it as high speeds ,an one of the first things they tell you.
    Agreed. When at a good hobby shop and someone asks about the 10th and 12th scale pan cars, the seller will ask where they race it. They will continue to explain the importance of truing tires, chassis setup, the need for a carpet track, etc. If the buyer states it is just for the parking lot, then the seller should explain that is NOT what the car is for.

However, are you saying the hobby shop should explain that you should only buy the Funny Car if you have access to traction compound and cleaned / prepped tracks? I wouldn't think so and it sure isn't in line with the way Traxxas markets its stuff. When selling one I would make it clear
    1. The torque control on the TQi is imperative. Dial it back before driving and ease into it. A normal cold parking lot won't get past 12 o'clock on the dial.

2. A scale quarter mile in this car is less than 200 feet. It isn't meant to go full speed pass after pass after pass on a large parking lot.

I'll also add, I was quite impressed how well it handled the nastier parts of the parking lot. The suspension works quite well. I have something I can race in many open areas unlike current drag racing cars to date (insane to even think of driving on a normal parking lot)

RC poster
    I'm sorry the first video may have left a bad impression. This is the first unboxing that was done where the car was driven far more mild and tracks straight as an arrow. It also has a nasty surface to run on. Jump to 3:30 for the actual runs.

Quote Originally Posted by slashmanIL View Post
    Agreed. It would be important that a new customer is told this thing needs to be tuned like the full scale cars.
    If you are racing, no matter what RC you race with, it will need tuning.... That's ALL up to the retailer....

I've seen new people to the RC world buy a nitro, does the LHS ensure they have a temp guage to prevent the engine from being ran too lean? Some do, some don't.

But, there are a TON of drag racing fans, many know those cars just don't shoot down the track at the touch of a button.

Thing is, this can be set up for the beginner RC dragsters and then, you can set this up for the more experienced.

I guess that's why they have 2 settings on that Drag Light Tree,,,, Sportsman and Pro....

Everyone here is making valid points, but I think it's being overthought a little, this is something that CAN be set up in a parking lot with a bunch of buddies, OR this can be set up in a parking lot, wide open smooth space (abandon airport, etc) with a bunch of track preparation, VHT, etc. for the more serious hobbyists....

It can work for both...

Now let's take a deep breath before someone starts flaming and I start awarding points!!!
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I agree, but if people buy this car and and think they can go into a parking lot ,like you did and make perfect passes and not wreck the car,they are worng. andyes traxxas even says this a an RC drag car,and you have to heat the tires up for traction,they even say do a burnout til you smell rubber.at first alot of people thought these were just bashing cars that werefunny cars and traxxas says these are RC dra gcars and need the attention to setup,traction control,and so on. if i worked at a hobby store and someone wanting to buy this car,I would let them know,this is an RC drag car,you need to certain things to run this car at its best..its not just to drive around in a prking lot and just go from one side of the parking lot to the other back and forth,and at speed theydo not turn well they will flip.i think any hobbystore is to explain this on any car they sale... example.. if a guy say in his 20's comes in and grabs a nitro RC car off the shelf,sits it down and says wow this is my first RC car ever..what will you say???? you will say like eveyone else at any hobby store..."I dont recommend a nitro car for your first RC car"...just my two cents.
    but i do agree it can be ran in different areas like the video,but people need to be made aware of this,the only reaason i have been saying all of this , is because of the Nay Sayers that say RC drag racing is easy and to the guys that came on here and said the car is very unstable...Its all good so lets go drag racing guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by scottman2012; 05-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

Everyone here is making valid points, but I think it's being overthought a little, this is something that CAN be set up in a parking lot with a bunch of buddies, OR this can be set up in a parking lot, wide open smooth space (abandon airport, etc) with a bunch of track preparation, VHT, etc. for the more serious hobbyists....

It can work for both...

Now let's take a deep breath before someone starts flaming and I start awarding points!!!
    Agreed. I do not think the hobby shop should limit the purchase to someone with prepped surfaces. Wanna race in a parking lot, go ahead. Want to race at a drag racing facility. Go ahead. The excellent use of the torque control on the multi-function knob makes this very easy and it works REALLY well.

RC poster
    and you have to heat the tires up for traction,they even say do a burnout til you smell rubber.
    I did. In fact I was asked why I kept doing burnouts before EACH run. I didn't have a temp guage but the tires were very warm. What you saw in the videos where mostly maintenance burnouts to keep the temps up. They were warm enough to smell burning rubber. Traxxas does clearly state you won't see smoke though

RC Enthusiast
    Hey i wonder if you use some bleach if you would see smoke then??????LOL

I still like it and really want one but unfortunately last night our refrigerator went out so any money will have to be use to get a new one.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    Well, straight line stability, take some of the knowledge we speedrunners are doing on our rustlers. I would invest in a gyro, for straight line stability.

Note: the only smoke you are going to see will be from the esc when you frying it

Any ways, this may be a drag car, but question is if it will be as good as these real custom rc drag cars, that have been built by enthusiasts for years. Maybe this is a selling trick? And how would these actually compete againt custom drag rc?
    Last edited by ttThree; 05-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    first off I have said it and ill say it again, these cars are very stable.Also you guys that keep bragging about your rustlers being so fast,.. you guys go to huge open parking lots and make speed runs ,which is fine and all.. but RC drag racing is harder than people think......Here is a test for ttThree,,Anyone can go to a parking lot with no bounderies and make any car fly at high speeds...So you think its easy,well go out to your big parking lot and then take a can of spray paint..paint 2 lines about 132ft long and only about 14ft wide..sit down your rustler from a dead stop, then mash the throttle full and try to keep it between the two lines you painted.And Also you might want to gear that rustler lower like a drag car..then see if you can keep it between the lines.Also these car were never intended to be ran with with light weight drag cars made out of a piece of carbon fiber,with a lexan body and several lipo cells. they wanted to appeal to a wider range of RC people.also there isnt anything wrong with the chassis they made,real funny car chassis are the same and the reason why is because all of your weight is straight down the middle of the car..I wll bet money on it that people out there will have these cars going close or over a 100mph within a few weeks not to mention 70 mph in 132ft is fast for any RC car.

Well called a repair man about getting the refrigerator repaired and it's going to cost more then buying a new one Tried to talk the wife into buying a used one but she wouldn't go for it Guess I will have to wait on this one

Unless you guys at Traxxas want to feel sorry for me and send me one for free
    Last edited by fallonguy; 05-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Comparing a Rustler and a Funny car is apples and oranges. A lot of people do speed runs in Rustlers. Most put an idiot amount of power in it to push the body through the air needing weight in the front to prevent it to take off.

A stock Rustler is no competition for the Funny car in a drag race. And the stock Funny car is no competition for the Rustler when it comes to bashing. Of course you can convert them to try to match up to the other one by modifications, but that is always an endless discussion.
    Nobody is born with experience