No boat experience, need some help.
Okay, I'm kinda interested in getting the Spartan...but here are some things I need to know first:
- What happens if the boat dies in the middle of a lake? How do you get it back?
- Can you race it at saltwater beaches?
- Generally, as long as I don't get in someone's way, is it hard to find a place where it's legal to use it?
- What kind of maintenance should I expect to be doing on it?
Thanks ahead of time!
1. Many options for retrieval, if water is shallow enough (about waist deep or so) you can use chest waders. For deeper water a canoe, rubber raft, etc., or, set up another R/C as a retrieval boat. Depending on size of pond, some guys use a tennis ball tied to a fishing rod to "cast" and retrieve. there are several posts here on retrieval solutions, do a search or two.
2. You can run the Spartan in salt water, just flush the cooling system and rinse the boat well after each outing. a bit of anti-corrosion spray on metal parts is also recommended. Those that run in salt can chime in with more detail.
3. Depends on where you are and your local bylaws. See if there are local clubs that could help with info for your area.
4. Remove the drive cable after every couple runs to inspect and grease, lube motor bearings, salt water clean up if running in salt, dry and lube components if you swamp the boat.