RC Enthusiast

Suspension Arm broken after 1st drive

Hi,

Decided to split my 1st drive post into two posts.

We discovered our new Summit after our 1st drive had sustained a severe damage - to our surprise, as we used the same track with our non Traxxas trucks! In fact we have pushed the other trucks (not 4 by 4) much harder than we did with the Summit!

Any way, the lower right front (left when in front) suspension arm had been snapped

So we wonder:

A) If this is a typical breakdown of the Summit or?

B) If anyone can give us a link to a guide for how to change the suspension arm?

Cheers Erik Jose, Isvarly and Steen

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Non-typical break...
    I have not seen many, anyway.

Study the exploded views... changing out the arm is not that complicated, in my opinion anyway. Just take your time and pictures if needed.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    that is very unusual damage, I would consider contacting Traxxas. Sorry you are having so much trouble with your new Summit.

RC Qualifier
    A good tip that will save you money in the long run: use some kind of spray/lube to avoid any more rust.
    This is a signature.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi jimmie:
    Thanks :O) (I guess - LoL) just put in an order for a new set of arms (both the left and the right) expect them in 10 days...
    Properly I should have ordered the rear too - maybe??

Hi maxi single:
    Thanks - maybe I should try to speak with them to see what they say!

Hi snowslider:
    Yes, you are right. The rust came just over night after having cleaned the truck yesterday late afternoon after we got home from the drive. Had not expected that much, but now after I took the wheels of I see there are "rust" on many of the screws on the underside...any specific recommendation of spray/lube and based on e.g. silicone?

Cheers Steen
    Summit with new ESC

Agreed, that is a non-typical break. That looks like impact damage.
    What was the temperature when it happened? (either C or F)
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Hi ksb51rl,

I agree it looks like, but we had the ESC in the training mode so speed not that high.
    There are small rocks here and there, some dry deep tire tracks from "real" cars/trucks we drove over/into but we assumed the Summit would take /could handle the "beating"...

The air temp yesterday afternoon was properly around +27 C

Cheers Steen

alt + 0 = LoL - using a Mac...
    Summit with new ESC

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seh2000 View Post
    Hi snowslider:
    Yes, you are right. The rust came just over night after having cleaned the truck yesterday late afternoon after we got home from the drive. Had not expected that much, but now after I took the wheels of I see there are "rust" on many of the screws on the underside...any specific recommendation of spray/lube and based on e.g. silicone?

Cheers Steen
    To elimate rust you can also paint your screw heads, I use modeling paint, looks good too Tip: don't remove the screw completely, just back out the screw enough to paint the heads cleanly, this way you don't lose any screws or forget the location. Paint in thin coats so it dries quickly. Good luck.

RC Champion
    I've had my truck a month, ran it in the water lots, I never clean it off - ever - and there isn't that much rust. I just hit the suspension arm with a screw driver, then hit it harder, and then VERY hard, and I didn't even leave a mark, the mark on that suspension arm is very deep, shows that you hit something very hard, training mode or not. I'm not saying anything other than, "you hit something very hard, and it broke, I'm not surprised." But as everyone has said, it's very rare to happen. I know this post sounds like, "I think there's more to the story than you're telling us" but it's really just more of a - "wow I don't have that much rust and I don't take care of my truck, and I couldn't do that damage if I tried."

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!!

Since I am to replace the arm I will either before or at same time use some paint.

How about nail polish?
    Summit with new ESC

RC Qualifier
    I use WD-40. Works like a charm.
    This is a signature.

Hi ksb51rl,

I agree it looks like, but we had the ESC in the training mode so speed not that high.
    There are small rocks here and there, some dry deep tire tracks from "real" cars/trucks we drove over/into but we assumed the Summit would take /could handle the "beating"...

The air temp yesterday afternoon was properly around +27 C

Cheers Steen

alt + 0 = LoL - using a Mac...
    Okay, I have no reason to doubt you. I don't recall offhand another arm break, especially under those conditions. Is there any obvious flaw in the arm? Air bubble or foreign matter? That would be very rare too, but anything is possible. I like to run my Summit on bedrock and boulders as much as possible, but I think I'll grind through the arms before I break them. I've broken two or three on my ERBE.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I broke my rear pinion in the first few minutes of running... it was a flaw in the part.
    It happens.

From memory...
    All that is needed to be done to change out the arm is to unthread the pillow ball, remove the push rod, pull the skid plates, and pull the pins.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    @snowslider:
    Cool - thanks. I'll see if we can find here...

@ksb51rl
    I have not yet removed the. I can see some marks from driving over small stones/rocks. It looks like it simple snapped in two parts, the "cut" is straight and clean like after stress break.

Where we drive it is a combination of dried soil, mud, rubbles, stones, etc. the place is also used for BMX riding.
    As well a mark in the front skid plate and a few in the rear skid plate.

Have you changed arms before? If any recommendation(s)?

Steen
    Summit with new ESC

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I broke my rear pinion in the first few minutes of running... it was a flaw in the part.
    It happens.

From memory...
    All that is needed to be done to change out the arm is to unthread the pillow ball, remove the push rod, pull the skid plates, and pull the pins.
    Hi jimmie:

I will try to disassemble tomorrow...thanks...let you know how it went.
    Summit with new ESC

RC Qualifier
    just a bad impact I guess.

RC Enthusiast
    @ jungletreker - difficult to say, but most likely you are right. I am still trying to figure out how to get the arm seperated from the pivot at the wheel side...
    Summit with new ESC

RC Racer
    whut did u hit

@ jungletreker - difficult to say, but most likely you are right. I am still trying to figure out how to get the arm seperated from the pivot at the wheel side...
    Under the blue plug there is a small slit in it 2.5 mm hex wrench fits the pillow ball and count the number of turns out
    For when you reassemble

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wildironman View Post
    whut did u hit
    we are not too sure, we been looking the video(s) we took, but no clue.
    There are lots of small and big stones/rocks, but we cannot see if we hit something or remember.
    We drive in same area with trucks from other brand not had any issues, but then we never went into the water with the other trucks as they are type short track.
    Summit with new ESC

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Under the blue plug there is a small slit in it 2.5 mm hex wrench fits the pillow ball and count the number of turns out
    For when you reassemble

YOHUUUUU, had never found it without your "hint"!!!!
    Arm is now out...
    Question what oil/grease shall we use when we out the pillow? ball back in?
    Summit with new ESC

Graphite powder. Nothing else for me.

RC Enthusiast
    @ksb51rl,

Yes, I now understand that one really do not want any oils and/or grease in the area for the pillow ball.
    Guess, if one oil it then there will be more dirt and as the pillow ball is of metal and where it rest against is of plastic then more dirt will act like sandpaper.

There is this blue rubber "seal" but still dirts enters the area, so perhaps the seal is doing more harm than good. As I see in the areas of the other pillow balls that there is lots of dirt, I feel all needs to be cleaned...is this an common issue/thing?

BR// Steen
    Summit with new ESC

I have lost mine and never bothered replacing them.i agree it seems to trap crud in there. I use marine bearing grease very small amount I run in the wet a lot and surrounded by ocean so I use marine grease on everything. In dry dusty conditions it would trap more crud
    So graphite may be a better option

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    @jamann,

Hmm - actually we are very close to the sea, but here is very dry as not much rain, but lots of sun. So the wet spots dries pretty fast.
    There is a sea water canal just next to where we are driving, used by boat owners to get from their house to the sea.
    So perhaps marine grease could be an option - any particular grease type consistence?
    Summit with new ESC