RC poster

Newbie needs tires

Hi! This forum is a wealth of knowledge. But I still have a question....
    I recently purchased a Nitro Sport from a buddy of mine. He had it for his son but he didn't use it so I got it cheap and am loving this thing. I never know what these nitro engines are or what they can do!

So anyway, It runs great and everything is tight. My only problem is the rear tires are almost slick, mainly due to me.
    I mainly run this thing on a big blacktop parking lot. The asphalt has just worn these knobbys down.
    I need tires for this car and I need them for blacktop. I have looked around the Traxxas site, on-line hobby stores, my local hobby store, but I am still unsure what to get. I don't think I want to mess around with glueing on tires.
    I guess I'm looking for a wheel/tire combo.
    What do you reccomend? What do you like?
    I need some guidence.

Gluing tires is not hard at all. I believe Pro-Line has a decent how-to on their website, but there are many of other how-to videos and such out there.

Since you have never done it before, I would recommend using a medium CA glue. It will take longer to cure than a thin CA glue would, but it will be much more forgiving for someone who is new to gluing tires.

That being said, if you're looking for a tire that's good on-road, I would recommend the HPI Geolandar. The tire is actually marketed as an all-terrain tire, but they perform incredibly well on-road. I run them on my BL E-Rustler for neighborhood bashing (mostly on-road, but some grass and such too).

The Geolandars are a 2.2 sized tire, so you will need 2.2 wheels. For those, I would look to RPM (get the wheels specifically for the Traxxas nitro front and the nitro rear). RPM sells a variety of different styles that look great and will hold up to some serious abuse. My personal favorite is the RPM Talonz wheels.

Here's the setup I would run on your N-Sport:

HPI Geolandar Tires:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXA3

Front RPM Talonz Wheels:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEW54&P=7

Rear RPM Talonz Wheels:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEW40&P=M

Here's that same combo on my E-Rustler:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rustler May 16, 2011 001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1315  
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I have seen that there is a MUCH broader selection of tires if one is willing to glue their own. I guess I'll have to read a bit and watch some videos as suggested and just do it. Thanks for the encouragement.

As well, a BIG thanks for the suggestion on rims and tires! And they are not as pricey as I was expecting. The picture is worth a thousand words, they look good.

Tomorrow I will swing by my local hobby shop to see if they have these items. I see they are in stock at the site you mentioned.
    SO, I WILL have new treads soon. It will probably handle like a different car.

A sincere thanks again for the help!

RC Qualifier
    get beadlock tires for without the hassle of unglueing and glueing
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    get beadlock tires for without the hassle of unglueing and glueing
    I like how this sounds! So tires can be unglued from the rims?
    As I said I know nothing about tires for this thing.

I hate to be a pest, but, do you have a lead on what kind of beadlock rims fit a Nitro Sport? Will any tire fit a beadlock rim?

Personally, I would stay away from beadlock wheels. From what I hear, they can be a pain in the rear to work with. In my opinion, gluing your tires to the wheels provides a superior bond and ensures that the tires stay put.

You can remove tires from the wheels after they have been glued. There are a few different methods, but my personal favorite is the boiling method. There are several videos and such out there on the subject, though.

RC poster
    Stopped by my local hobby store after work tonight. They did not have the parts that Cooleocool mentioned nor did they seem to know what I needed as far as rims to fit a Nitro Sport of the rims that they did have in stock.
    I am just going to jump in and order rims and tires from an online source for the front and back and try my hand at glueing. I watched a few youtube vids and I'm sure I can do glue them without too much trouble.
    The beadlocks sound interesting but maybe the reason mentioned above is why I didn't see many available as compared to glue rims.

Again, thanks all for the help!

Good luck! And like I said, make sure to order medium CA glue (or tire glue).

RC poster
    Just wanted to check back and say thanks to Cooleocool for the advice. I got the HPI Geolander tires and the RPM Talonz rims for all the way around delivered late last week.
    I glued them on with no problems.

I ran it around this weekend and I simply can not believe the handling difference! WOW!! I really needed something like these.

I'm starting to understand the addiction to the vehicles. Now that it handles SO much better with the new tires I think I could benefit from suspension tweaks as well.

Again, thanks to all for helping me out with my entrance into the world of RC vehicles!

Great to hear, I'm glad the tire and wheel combo is working well for you!