RC Enthusiast

lipo battery wires?

hi there
    just got my first pair of lipo cells(never had lipo before) what is the thin wiring loom for along side the main
    battery wires. i have also bought lvd's for both input wires speedo side.

RC Qualifier
    The thin wires are the balance leads. I suggest that you do some research before using them if you don't even now what the balance leads are. Not trying to be rude, just want you to understand what you are doing. Lipos, like all batteries, can be dangerous if misused.

That is great advice, B@3.

I would rather be a little rude than to be silent and have someone get seriously hurt.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    lipos scare me.. I have the right charger ONYX and I still haven't tried to charge them. Im thinking about building a small metal box that holds the charger and battery on separate shelves just in case anything catches fire so it can be contained and would just burn itself out...

Once you get over his voice...

There are many dangerous practices in the world. Abusing LiPo packs is just one of them. NONE of these practices need a video posted on these forums.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    With the proper knowledge and care, lipos are safe.

I watched that video a while ago. That guy is something else, I'm not sure about the fanny pack or what he might have in there.

Yeah... the dude strikes me as a little...... weird.
    BUT, he abuses those LiPo's... harshly. And they only pop when he stabs them.

RC Competitor
    Also, make sure you have the proper safety in place. A LiPO bag is a good start and an A/B/C extinquisher. LiPOs are fine if you understand them (like aluminum wiring). There are inherent dangers but if you treat them properly and understand them (lots of reading) then you should be fine.

The below was provided by Jimmie Neutron and is a good starting place
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I wrote this a while back...

LiPo 101
    now in session

1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack...
    mah x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example, I'll use a 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate on the back.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 2.2 amps.
    - If no charge C rate is stated, 1C is the standard

To calculate the discharge rate of your pack...
    mah x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example, I'll use the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

When setting up your system, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Running two LiPo's in parallel will double your run time (mah) and also double your available amperage.

Running two LiPo's in series will double your voltage, therefore doubling your speed.

There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use *****/******* batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!