RC Enthusiast

about to upgrade to velinum xl3 and brushless.. but I started thinking maybe I

I was about to purchase the velinum brushless upgrade from my xl5 n 12t... then I started thinking maybe theres an upgrade motor n esc that might be in the $200 range that is more powerful?

RC Qualifier
    the velineon is the best bang for your buck it is waterproff easy to use and you can do the power up program.
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn

You could put together an MMP esc/vxl motor for about $200 and that's a mack daddy combo. I've been running that system on a Slash for a year.

I just ordered a viper 4600kv system for about $150. Squidrc had a very positive review of it but I havent tried it yet.

Or go with a vxl aystem like wmc recommended. That's great on 3s and I've been running mine for a couple yrs.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Nop VXL is the best combo for me right now, bashing, speed runs, w/e u like you can do with VXL setup. I love it and have 3 of them right now

RC Qualifier
    like O.G. said thae viper system is getting some good reviews but the vxl3s is still ur best bang for your buck! you get amazing traxxas customer support it runs upto 3s and its waterproff for those boring days.
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn

RC Enthusiast
    Got the vxl3s system today.. installed and What a freaking difference.. even on nimh batterys.. I can't get Any traction! Im thinking im going to get different tires now haha.. Lipo's on a 2wd will be rediculous

RC Qualifier
    lol i have 3s 5000mah lipo on my 2wd VXL, and i just installed street fighters, cause i ate my stock in about 2 weeks of asphalt running

RC Enthusiast
    hmm im thought about this but do u have heat issues with the motor on 3s?? heard some ppl doo

RC Qualifier
    yes you will, i tried that with 31/76 gearing on my rustler and it got pretty hot after about 10 min after onroad speedruns, i was going hard on throttle. With stock gearing 23/86 i think you should be fine and stay within 150-170* but if you go higher than that, i would suggest you a fan and heatsink or go for aluminum gearbox rightaway, it will reduce your temps by atleast 20* even with that crazy gearing i ran in my rustler, dont forget that rustler is lighter than slash and requres less power for top end, for slash and velenion it will be quite hard to stay at normal temps