Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

KO PROPO EX-1 K.I.Y. Concept Tx

I read about the KO PROPO EX-1 K.I.Y. ( Kustomize It Yourself ) in a magazine a couple of months back and kept forgetting to go online to check it out. Figured I would share this with you guys. I'm sure a few of you have seen it to.

It is very clean. I actually like the color scheme on it. Man it has a ton of goodies. I wouldnt mind checking this puppy out. This is a K.I.Y. meaning you can customize it to your liking. Has some really nice goodies. Its not cheap @ $579. But if it doesnt have a cheap feel or is very rough might be worth it.....

The Specs:
    EX-1 KIY 2.4GHz FHSS set (Tx/Rx) includes KR-411FH receiver

KIY CONCEPT (Pat.P)

KO PROPO introduces Kustomize It Yourself (K.I.Y.) an interchangeable transmitter. The concept of the new K.I.Y. brings simplicity to customizing and upgrading within a modular system. The new transmitter is composed of 3 modular units: Steering, Throttle and Master units. The three separate modular units can be easily put together, no screws required. Just push the safety lock of the joint, pull the lever and pull or push to insert or remove the modular unit. It’ s that simple! You can use the K.I.Y. to unlock your next system and bring more enjoyment to your hobby.

2.4GHz FHSS

The FHSS system which is used has a foldable and removable antenna for storage. The improved system increases the reliability and removes error for communication failures. The corresponding receiver used is the KR-411FH, which is the same receiver used by our other FHSS systems.

High Performance CPU & 2.7inch LCD

Adopting a new CPU that is 20% faster then our previous system. The 12bit processor inside this master unit allows for quick data processing and securely performing delicate control. The large size LCD allows for various function configurations at a quick glance.

Adjustable Trigger Position & 3D Trigger

The position of the trigger can be adjusted (forward or back) to your preference in the trigger action. The 3D trigger is also included for even more comfort and infinite customization.

LCD Menu List:

•Model: Select, Name, Copy, Reset
    •Steering: Trim, Travel, Balance, Subtrim, Trim Rate, Turn Speed, Return Speed, Punch, Curve, Reverse, Travel Override
    •Throttle: Trim, HiPoint, Brake, SubTrim, Trim Rate, Turn Speed, Return Speed, Punch, Curve, Reverse, Drag Brake, Brake Override, ABS, Accel, Autostart, Idleup
    •3/4ch: Mode, 2way, 3way, 5way, Analog, 4WS Mix, AMP Mix, T-Mix
    •Quick Setup: ST/TH Reverse, ST-Subtrim, ST-Travel, ST-Balance, TH-SubTrim, TH-Trim, TH-HiPoint, TH-Brake
    •Timer: StopWatch, DownTimer, LapHistory
    •Function: Monitor, LED color, BackLight, Contrast, SoundVol, Buzzer, KeyRepeat
    •System: Response, Setup, DirectBT, AdjustST, AdjustTH, OP-Timer, 2.4GHzBand, PowerManagement, AllReset, ICS
    Quick Setup

QuickSetUp allows for a shortcut to quickly setup your vehicle. These are the basic configurations that are usually used to setup your vehicle and accessed the most.

Direct Button

The four buttons under the LCD panel are the Direct Buttons. When one of the buttons are pressed, the assigned function will appear in the menu for quick reference and adjustment.

I see this going somewhere. I like how it can be built to your liking and taken a part. I just hope its sturdy for usage. Wouldn't know till had it in your hands. LOL
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 05-01-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Gotta love technology, DiggerPede. This KO PROPO is worlds beyond anything I've seen before. The true definition of a concept. Nice post!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    That is Krazy. Especially the price. I'll stick with my low grade, bottom of the pile, race winning!, link system haha.

RC Champion
    Wow that's to fancy for me but it's nice

I just happened to stumble on this article and thought i'd pass it along. I doubt in my right mind i'd fork over that much. I'm liking my TQi with all its goodies. Plus I have a clear retina display from my iDevice.

Rag i'm with you bud, I have a handful of Link radios, 2 TQi's, a GT3B and a DX3S ( hate the range ). They treat me very well. If they'd knock a couple big bills of that KO PROPO I would maybe be interested. LOL

BTW......M E O W ! ! ! !
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    If it has anywhere near the number of features of a Futaba 4PKS then its over kill. It looks awesome and being Ko Propo the performance will be better than any RTR radio. But its just not needed. Even a Futaba 3PL has more features than the average person needs. There is also the cost of the receiver. I believe the K.I.Y. uses a 130.00 receiver.

Here is a good comparison of the more popular 2.4 radios.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...tter-shootout/

On a side note I noticed they offer a really nice brushless combo for about 150.00. The part number is KOP41014.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

In the Hank hill voice. That's the most beautiful thing I have every seen. I love it
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    12 bit processor? That's like one and a half 1st gen nintendos! 

It is a beautiful radio, that's for sure. Here's the thing I don't get;

if I pay nearly 600 bucks for a radio, are all the "kustomizable" options coming with it, or do I have to pay extra for the other parts?

Once I've taken out the second mortgage to buy the other optional modular units and make it "Kustom" fit to my liking, wouldn't the customizable feature end right there?

600 bucks and this thing won't even answer my phone or play mp3's and video files? Cuz my TQi and iPhone4 can do all that for less.

If I buy this unit, will i automatically win races? Or will I lose because I can't figure out how to program it properly before the start of the race?

If I bash by myself and have nobody to show it off to, did I still get my money's worth?

When it comes down to spending 600 bucks in one shot on this hobby I'm usually all for it, but I'm not sure I could justify buying a radio that is 2-3 times the cost of my brushless system. But yeah, I still want one! Lol
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

^^^ Now that is hillarious!!! Never know what it might do for ya. For that cost it should have had a colored screen. Maybe we are paying for being able to break it down. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I used to run a KO EX5UR and it was a great radio. But for $600 how is it Custom? You need all the parts to make it fully functionable, just because it's can be taken apart doesn't make it custom. That's like saying you built a Custom Lego car because you put it together.

Not to mention, the Airtronics MT4 costs less than half and has telemetry.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Big Squid

KO-Propo is showing off their lastest high-end Transmitter that they announced back in January. The EX-1 K.I.Y. is a completely customizable transmitter system with tons of interchangeable parts to create the transmitter you’ve always wanted. It’s kinda hard to comprehend just how customizable this thing is until you see just a small selection of all the parts laid out as in the picture above. There’s a couple more pics from the booth below. And for more info on the EX-1 K.I.Y. be sure to hit up the KO-Propo web site.

Here is another article on it. LOL

KO Propo announced the release of their new “Kustomize It Yourself” EX-1 transmitter earlier today. Apart from the cool folding screen, it looks like any other transmitter… until you see the stick steering. A 3-part modular construction means that the transmitter is portable and very lightweight, as well as being ectremely adaptable to the preferences of the user. Very little information on the software is available at this time, but expect a future update when the transmitter is put on sale.

btw if you are interested one an expensive Tx check out this Futaba-FUTK9531.

I found the KO PROPO EX-1 for $479. Saves anyone a few bucks if interested.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    ^^^exactly!

The craziest part about this radio is the fact that its primary objective is being able to buy the new upgraded modular units....Wait....what?! I'd be purchasing a 600 radio that's gonna need upgrading other than firmware? Is that the cool factor?

You want a cool idea for a radio that will allow you to control your truck and hold a big gulp in the same hand, while running a video camera in the other hand? The nintendo power glove tx....now that would be awesome. The only flaw would be when you flipped someone the bird, and it caused the truck to plow into a curb! Lol
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

^^^ You are crazy man!! I love stirring the pot a little. I just found it interesting. The price is way out there. I had actually done more investigation since posting it this morning. And stumbled on quite a few people that had run their radio systems love them. Say they are really top of the line. Guess going to what Pave is saying. Will I buy it, highly doubt it. I find it really neat though. Did you notice the hand joystick controller that can be changed out from the wheel? When i read about it in the magazine it never mentioned a price. Then when i searched it online my jaw dropped!

I can see 1g going into this in a heart beat. I mean if you have the oportunity to change parts out what do you think people are going to do?? right??

The nintendo powerglove.....You had to go there.....LOL The good ole days 8-bit graphics and games. WOW!!! I remember having to type commands into a pc to get a game or software to load.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Man, what a device. I must say it is impressive, what makes the biggest impression, is the price...
    Would be kinda silly to be driving your cars and worry more about the transmitter in your hand than about your car
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I like the stick steering unit... that might be cool. But, the steering modules are, so far, the only ones I see that actually give you an option. it looks to me like the rest of the "modules" aren't options, but more necessities for use. I can see them offering a telemetry module for the top section in the future. But in reality, I think this answers a question no one has asked. Color radio grips aren't really as CUSTOM as they may seem really.

Again, I do like the stick steering thing... thats pretty cool. There also seems to be a USB computer interface. Imagine if you could plug in your radio and customize the settings, menus and options all from a user friendly program. That would be great.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

^^^ I am sure that option could be added to radios 1/3 the price though.

Baldy thats a seriously funny post! lol..

That thing is Serious! But ya, 600 bucks... Hmm... Thats hard to chew. Plus for a sec, I thought it recorded video. Than I got excited... but it doesnt. Plus for that cost, Couldnt they have put in a color screen? And that much processing power, why does it look like a 1987 calculator? lol

Nice find digg!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    ^^^exactly!

The craziest part about this radio is the fact that its primary objective is being able to buy the new upgraded modular units....Wait....what?! I'd be purchasing a 600 radio that's gonna need upgrading other than firmware? Is that the cool factor?

You want a cool idea for a radio that will allow you to control your truck and hold a big gulp in the same hand, while running a video camera in the other hand? The nintendo power glove tx....now that would be awesome. The only flaw would be when you flipped someone the bird, and it caused the truck to plow into a curb! Lol
    LOL.. Ur on a roll buddy lol. SO true though.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Look, they shrunk my old TRS-80 model 4 :

Down to the size of a gps, and mounted it on a tx!

Modern technology is so awesome!

RC Enthusiast
    I would say that this radio is not for the faint of heart I have had KO propo radios in the past and this is an investment if your out bashing its not going to be worth your time or your money. However if you find yourself hitting the track for 10-20hours a week for practice and you race competitively this is a worth while investment. Hands down this is one the best training tools I have ever bought next to my (Mylaps RC transmitter) my Ko Propo radio is a very close 2nd so if your serious about racing take a look at this radio because its one of the best in the world if not thee best.

RC Champion
    This is a rather old thread.

Still something can have all the specs in the world but that does not make it worth the money. The typical 2.4ghz system is fast enough that a human will never know the difference between it and the super high end systems. And the average systems have so many features now that stuff like that Ko ProPo is just over kill. Maybe the very best touring car racers would need it but that's about it. Even then there are many systems that will do the job for less.
    Oderint Dum Metuant