RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar

Just ordered a TQi off ebay...

Ok, I am done fooling with these old AM radios. Tired of runaways(not fun with nitro), crystals popping out, 8AA TX bats, dead spots, interference, ect ect ect.I am officially retiring them after 8 years of using AM.

Headed to a ebay chop shop and found a 2 channel TQi with the RX for $47 shipped! Man, back when I started you couldn't even touch a AM system for that. Now you get a 2.4Ghz system with telemetry capabilities for that money. Just amazing IMO.

Now my question is that has anybody tried to open up 3-4-5 channels on a TQi-2? I bought the 2 channel because it was cheap and I really have no use for any more channels at the moment, but it would be cool if I can get the other channels working. I'll probably crack mine open as soon as I get it to see if its possible.

Also, is it possible in any way to connect a apple device without the docking station? I guess I will find out when I get mine in, but if the plug is there, I can always get creative on mounting. Just trying to save the $50 on the docking station....
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak View Post
    Now my question is that has anybody tried to open up 3-4-5 channels on a TQi-2? I bought the 2 channel because it was cheap and I really have no use for any more channels at the moment, but it would be cool if I can get the other channels working.
    Tried it, they don't work so far... But, I'll have to check it further...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The spot to plug the cable in for the iDevice is there, but no cable for the device itself.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Tried it, they don't work so far... But, I'll have to check it further...

Bummer, wonder if it needs software changes too? I am going to be looking into mine as soon as I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The spot to plug the cable in for the iDevice is there, but no cable for the device itself.
    Interesting. So can't I just buy a cheap apple iwhatever data cable off ebay, lop off whatever other end is on it and figure out a way to connect to the TQi? A few zip ties to hold it to the controller, and bam, no $50 docking station needed. Maybe traxxas will be nice enough to just sell the wire for a few bucks......
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

Ok, so I got it in and now I see how it works. The only thing I am wondering is that if there is PC board in the docking station or is it just a wire that goes from the idevice to the plug on the TQi?
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5