RC Racer

XO-1 Help needed

Hi guys,

Firstly i just want to say how much i love this car and how much fun it is.

But as i go through the threads in the XO-1 section i keep seeing how it is really hard to keep in a straight line especially at speed. I started looking at the car and one of the things i noticed was how much play is in the steering. Has anyone come up with a solution for this. A couple of the things i was thinking of doing to correct this were,
    1) installing an alloy bell crank setup from the aftermarket parts section of a slash 4x4 but this means i would also have to make up the link that connects the two bell cranks together.

2) Drilling a hole in the top plate and bolting the bearing shafts that go through the bell cranks directly to the top plate, or doing away with the plastic shaft and bolting a metal one in that goes from the chassis to the top plate.

Guys what do you think, is anyone else having these sorts of issues i have already replaced the steering servo with a stronger unit and have the black spring on order.

Also is anyone out there running the carbon chassis from Extreme racing. Is their any benefit or is it just for looks.

Thanks guys

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryEVO8 View Post
    1) installing an alloy bell crank setup from the aftermarket parts section of a slash 4x4 but this means i would also have to make up the link that connects the two bell cranks together.
    Hmmm maybe. I doubt the steering rack is flexing... but perhaps.

2) Drilling a hole in the top plate and bolting the bearing shafts that go through the bell cranks directly to the top plate, or doing away with the plastic shaft and bolting a metal one in that goes from the chassis to the top plate.
    Another interesting idea.... and maybe worth trying too. But again, I don't think the flex is coming from there.... In my experience the car pulls under hard acceleration, and then smooths out at speed. At 100 mph its a bullet that flys straight. At 50, its a wheel spinning monster.

I think a lot of the pull under acceleration is a mix of unequal weighting of the tires, either due to torque steer, or chassis flex. The other part is tires lose lateral grip when sliding.... so during acceleration, the tires are losing grip a lot.... if you just roll into the throttle super smooth, it shouldn't pull.

Take judge's videos for example. That guy will go do 5 miles, straight as an arrow, at high speed the whole time....

I figure that supports my theory that the issue is only under hard acceleration.

I think the servo saver, and maybe the servo itself is suspect... although I went to an aftermarket servo and it didn't really help. But I stuck to close to stock torque.... I should put my monster servo from the ERBE in there and see what happens.

I already did the black spring upgrade too....

Guys what do you think, is anyone else having these sorts of issues i have already replaced the steering servo with a stronger unit and have the black spring on order.

Also is anyone out there running the carbon chassis from Extreme racing. Is their any benefit or is it just for looks.

Thanks guys
    As far as the carbon fiber chassis.... I don't know.... Carbon Fiber is stronger than I expected, I started working with it on my Slash. I'd say its stronger/stiffer than aluminum.... which means maybe some of the pull under acceleration would go away since I think some of it is chassis flex.... but its all speculation from my end.

RC Racer
    After putting up the post i went and had a good look at the front end of the car, here is what i found. The link that goes between the two bell cranks flexes a lot and i would expect is where some of the movement is coming from. When the bell cranks are bolted into place with the top bracket there is not much movement in the posts if any. But where i found the most amount of movement was in the caster blocks and the axle carriers. The two collared bolts that go through the caster locks have a lot of movement in the hole, as if the hole was a touch too big. And some movement in the rod ends from where the ball joint bolts.

Anyone got any fixes for that?? What are some of the mods done to tighten the front ends on the slash??

RC Qualifier
    After putting up the post i went and had a good look at the front end of the car, here is what i found. The link that goes between the two bell cranks flexes a lot and i would expect is where some of the movement is coming from. When the bell cranks are bolted into place with the top bracket there is not much movement in the posts if any. But where i found the most amount of movement was in the caster blocks and the axle carriers. The two collared bolts that go through the caster locks have a lot of movement in the hole, as if the hole was a touch too big. And some movement in the rod ends from where the ball joint bolts.

Anyone got any fixes for that?? What are some of the mods done to tighten the front ends on the slash??

yea I notice the same on mine about these things you mentioned.. I even tried tightening them down more but still loose play so I figured it supposed to be that way to give a little kind of like ball joints I would guess on a real auto . You could probably shim it with washers and play around a bit to seem it it stiffens up some .. Thats what ill try next time I have to dig into my car .. At this moment i can stab the gas off the line itll spin for about couple seconds and then once tires hook it just shoots straight untill it maxes out on the 50mph gear

RC Racer
    Wow .... wish I could do that !!! I bought a new car which handled so poorly that I spent a week playing with the camber and caster til I thought I got it great. That was until I bought a used XO-1. This car handles so awesome that its almost impossible to wipeout. I'm going to take alot of measurements on that one and see if something is way off on my first one.

RC Racer
    I had a look at the slash 4x4 forum and there are a few fixes mostly around replacing the bell cranks with an alloy one. But some of the people that have tried it are saying it does nothing. Others have made their own. I might see if i can get very small bearings that will fit and do away with the shoulder bolts.

Will keep you posted guys. The slop from new is only going to get worse as the car gets used.

RC Qualifier
    I think it's more a mental thing then actual performance issue but you have to run it to tweak it

RC Qualifier
    I'm leaning towards torque steer because I notice it under hard acceleration only. Even while cruizing at 80mph,... if you apply full throttle it will almost steer itself off the road. If the car is on leftside of the road crown it steers left, rtside steers right. It's quite sensitive to camber of the surface itself. If you ease up to wot, it stays straight enough to not get too scary. I find the
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash