RC Racer

which Lipo to choose ?

Hi.

As suggested here for better cool running motor, I'm thinking to get a Lipo but I see that there are so many types and huge price difference.
    Could you suggest a 2s Lipo, what would you choose from this Lipo's ?

Regarding the motor running cooler with Lipo, from my understanding Lipo has a higher voltage, right ? It gives more power to the car, right ?
    So how come it doesn't make the motor get even hotter than with the NIMH ?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I have a **** tech 2s 5000mah Lipo and it's perfect for me. I'm running the velineon system.

Social or Gen Ace..only packs I will run
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    Hi.

As suggested here for better cool running motor, I'm thinking to get a Lipo but I see that there are so many types and huge price difference.
    Could you suggest a 2s Lipo, what would you choose from this Lipo's ?

Regarding the motor running cooler with Lipo, from my understanding Lipo has a higher voltage, right ? It gives more power to the car, right ?
    So how come it doesn't make the motor get even hotter than with the NIMH ?

Thanks.
    Buy a well known brand, not the no names from ebay.
    Traxxas, SPC, gens ace, are some trusted companies.

Dont know how a lipo would make a motor run cooler...

The actual lipo battery will stay cooler than an nimh battery though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Buy a well known brand, not the no names from ebay.
    Traxxas, SPC, gens ace, are some trusted companies.

Dont know how a lipo would make a motor run cooler...

The actual lipo battery will stay cooler than an nimh battery though.
    No cooler you can this only applys if the devices are underpowered and you put on a lipo to cover the much needed load, other than that LIPO can get you hot in no time just get a Lipo within your cell range on your ESC and motor voltage then go for as many Ahs as you can afford it should be obvious that you don't by them batterys on EBay as some are fake and gives you a high chance of buying a Under amp hour batttery with substandard load rating all rated higher to make cash outa you.

I use 2x 2s Lipo on a VXL3s system no probs in a SLASH thats parallel ******* 2s 5200mah the LVC on the VXL3s kicks in before my cell specs i've got an actual lipo cut off device between that now and run in NIMH mode much better.

My battery specs are for 3.2 min per cell and VXL3s is higher so im told so the cutoff kicks in early thats how it is ESC wiht options let you specify what your LVC will be my cut off is as 3.2v 6.4v, The balance lead plugs into this little device and it will cut acceleration when lvc is at level.
    Slash, DynaStorm, Sakura S, MERV, E-firestorm

Lol lipos do make electronics run cooler vs nimh. A lipos produces more amps and doesn't have the voltage drop underload plus they are lighter. If your electronics work easier they run cooler. My brush motors run cooler and more powerful with lipos.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Lol lipos do make electronics run cooler vs nimh. A lipos produces more amps and doesn't have the voltage drop underload plus they are lighter. If your electronics work easier they run cooler. My brush motors run cooler and more powerful with lipos.
    Lipos do have the juice not always the case that putting a LIPO in will cool something down as not all heated up ESC and Motor are underpowered Many a ESC recieve feedback from motor on braking which causes heat or strain acts like a Generator Gearing and car size can force this through even with the diode protections gotta love heat.

If your servo is overheating the Bec you have the travel set way to far and is binding the servo. I run a Jrs9100s servo and that's a power hog and zero heat issues. If you are running with in the ESC specs you shouldn't have heat issues period and a cooler motor BC its not struggling for power. Idc what setup you're running constant braking acceleration will heat up any system... regardless of the power source.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys.
    To be honest, there are few terms and advices that where mentioned which I'm not sure I've understand…
    Just to clear, I got a new SLASH VXL 5807, I'm just thinking what can I do for less heat not necessarily better performance.

RC Racer
    Well back to OPs question Don't buy batteries from china on EBAY they have many clones of devices etc batteries phones etc all are of suspect quality goto RC/Hobby store for your batteries they might have a 2 for one deal on them because they decide to change their stock to another brand they like to race with happens alot around here, Are you getting a Deans or traxxas TRX connector.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys.
    To be honest, there are few terms and advices that where mentioned which I'm not sure I've understand…
    Just to clear, I got a new SLASH VXL 5807, I'm just thinking what can I do for less heat not necessarily better performance.
    what is getting Hot, The battery stock one will get Hot while under use as NIMH have a resistance cell to cell when load is applied it generates heat aswell as releasing energy, If your ESC and MOTOR are getting HOT thats something different for this you can get a FAN for your ESC
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Traxxas-S...item4ab6e9bd34

You can get a heatsink and fan for the motor also but on the slash mount it somewhere without cutting may prove difficult.

you can even get a Machined Alloy gearbox for $35 some guy said he got the INTEGY and its the only INTEGY part thats not failed yet as they tend to bend and not of quality metals.

Get yourself a Gen aces, ******* **** tech or Spc hardcase with 2s 25c(20c if its SPC) or higher with 5000mah you will have speeds 40mph if not higher, zero heat issues, and 30mins of runtime. I would drop the pinion to a 20t for general bashing and set the slipper. When you start running 3s that's were you'll have heat issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wayke View Post
    what is getting Hot, The battery stock one will get Hot while under use as NIMH have a resistance cell to cell when load is applied it generates heat aswell as releasing energy, If your ESC and MOTOR are getting HOT thats something different for this you can get a FAN for your ESC
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Traxxas-S...item4ab6e9bd34

You can get a heatsink and fan for the motor also but on the slash mount it somewhere without cutting may prove difficult.
    He not having heat issues, he doesn't want to run into heat issues. If a 7cell Nimh is running the vxl and motor hot that is not a battery issues but more so a binding issue. A fan is not going g to fix that. If running 2s you shouldn't even need a fan.

The the OP. I'm going to make this very simple. You will not have any heat issues running a 2s lipos and will not need a fan while have a proformance Inc over the stock nimh pack. I only recommend drop to a 20t pinion for general bashing. Just get yourself a hardcase lipos and a decent charger.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.

RC Racer
    Whats the max temp a Velineon 3500 and the VXL3s spec'd to.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks guys.
    What motor temps are you getting?

You want the motor to get to around 160 or less after a full battery pack. You accomplish that by gearing changes. The stock vxl runs nice and cool with 2s and stock gearing. But you really should get an IR temp gun if you want to start gearing up(and you will...). Harbor Freight sells them for 10-20$.

Any 2s lipo, you will not need to worry about overheating. You should be fine.

The Max a 3500 is 190 200f and that's pushing it and the esc as thermal stages when it gets too hot before it shutsdown. It your in 170f or cooler youre fine but 160f is perfect for Max power.

RC Racer
    Avoid the batteries from China on Ebay they will most likely be a clone, Buy local or from somewhere the Ebay policy can be used on someone selling counterfeit items, I had a list somewhere of the Clone markings for memory for PC and batteries for RC

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/A-warning-...00000002638505
    Last edited by wayke; 05-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.

I'm having a Bromance with my new SPC 2s lipos.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...