RC Competitor

Best pinion gear for stampede 4x4

What tooth pinion and spur gear should I have for off road terrain and occasional street runs? Is the stock set up ok?

RC Qualifier
    Stock should be ok on 2s lipo or ni-mh batteries.

It would help to know what the rest of the setup is.

Tires, battery, current gearing, stock motor?

I ran stock 11/54 gearing on the stock motor with trencher tires. With ni-mh or 2s it ran fine, 3s and it would overheat. I ran mostly on grass and sand.

With my mmp 2400 combo, I'm running 18/54, trenchers mostly 3s 40c lipo and it gets to around 150-170F and when I ran 4s lipo it was almost undriveable anything more than about 50% and it was standing straight up.

RC Competitor
    I have trenchers mounted on desperados and mip cvd on front and rear with everything stock and a 4600 mah duratrax nihm battery. Not a big lipo guy... yet.

RC Qualifier
    You should be fine on the stock setup. With mip's already you're gtg for lipos. No broken axles to deal with.

I would suggest the aluminum bearing guide in the slipper assembly if you haven't already. They tend to melt after awhile.

RC Competitor
    hey guys im totally new to stampede 4x4 so whats the biggest spur for a stsmpede i have a 58t spur

Try 13t pinon if you are running 2s
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    According to Traxxas, on spur gears 54T (stock) is the biggest that will fit. It's a tight fit, but someone here said they shoehorned a 56 in. I think it's safe to say 58 isn't going to make if without major carving if at all.

I liked the 54 best with a 10T pinion, but the only ones I found are from Robinson Racing. They aren't quite as wide as the Traxxas gears so they don't fully cover the width of the spur. The teeth wear quicker, and get sharper and will start machining your spur gear away if you don't hear the noise soon enough and replace it. The other one I had stripped out on the set screw threads. I don't think they harden them as well as Traxxas does either. I'm trying the 11T again now that I have a motor heat sink and ESC fan, but if it gets too hot I guess I'll have to drop down to the 9T. I've got Trenchers and run on gravel, dirt, and grass so it's under a high load trying to stay ahead of my dog on the turnarounds as it accelerates.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    According to Traxxas, on spur gears 54T (stock) is the biggest that will fit. It's a tight fit, but someone here said they shoehorned a 56 in. I think it's safe to say 58 isn't going to make if without major carving if at all.

I liked the 54 best with a 10T pinion, but the only ones I found are from Robinson Racing. They aren't quite as wide as the Traxxas gears so they don't fully cover the width of the spur. The teeth wear quicker, and get sharper and will start machining your spur gear away if you don't hear the noise soon enough and replace it. The other one I had stripped out on the set screw threads. I don't think they harden them as well as Traxxas does either. I'm trying the 11T again now that I have a motor heat sink and ESC fan, but if it gets too hot I guess I'll have to drop down to the 9T. I've got Trenchers and run on gravel, dirt, and grass so it's under a high load trying to stay ahead of my dog on the turnarounds as it accelerates.
    whats the biggest pinion that will fit in the stampede 4x4. a 32p gear