RC Qualifier

Got my XO-1 Finally!

I already had all of the electronics (Mamba Monster 2200kv Combo, Traxxas Servo, Traxxas 2.4GHz and receiver) and purchased the tires and body about 2 weeks ago. Finally sold my Revo 3.3 to pay for and XO-1 roller and bought it. I am very proud to say it arrived today! I installed everything and it was all looking good. I can't believe the size and aerodynamics of this thing!

However, after the batteries were charged up (x2 Turnirgy 5000mAh 50C 2s lips) and I was plenty excited to run it, something bad happened. I plugged in the batteries, flipped the on switch, and poof! smoke came pouring out of the cap bank. So now I have a very pretty paper weight to look at haha!

Anyway here are a few pics of my build:

XO-1, E-Revo Dual 700-HO's, Slash 4x4, AX-10

RC poster
    Lol welcome to the club! But mine was brand new out of the box from Traxxas. Never been so let down in all my life! But my local Hobby Town USA exchanged mine out for me the very next day. A very rare accurately but it does seem to happen to these cars from time to time! Great thing is they stand behind them & nothing to worry about other than the loss of time. Congrats on the car your going to love it! & Hope everything goes smoothly and promt getting fixed!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieshelton View Post
    Lol welcome to the club! But mine was brand new out of the box from Traxxas. Never been so let down in all my life! But my local Hobby Town USA exchanged mine out for me the very next day. A very rare accurately but it does seem to happen to these cars from time to time! Great thing is they stand behind them & nothing to worry about other than the loss of time. Congrats on the car your going to love it! & Hope everything goes smoothly and promt getting fixed!
    Yeah I am hoping they will replace it. But on Castle's website it looks like minimum wait is 6 weeks!

RC Qualifier
    Finally got ahold of castle. Had to call them because they never responded to my email. I described my problem and the tech rep blamed it on my batteries. He called them "cheap" and that they didn't supply enough amps. They are 50C and I never even got the tires rolling! He also said that I had them plugged in "too long" before turning the speed control on (maybe 10-20mins) and that caused the caps to blow. He recommended I invest in new higher quality batteries. These batteries work just fine in every other vehicle I have. Now I have to pay $70 for a replacement and wait up to 6 weeks because it was "my fault."
    Last edited by Alex's Revo 3.3; 05-12-2012 at 06:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    wow that aint good .. just picked up a roller for couple hundred still debating what Im going to put in it .
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    Your Battery spliter...is that 12 gauge? Your batteries are 10 gauge and the esc is 10 gauge. You might want to build one that is 10 gauge while your car is down. You may have a problem later if you don't.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    wow that aint good .. just picked up a roller for couple hundred still debating what Im going to put in it .
    No it's not.

I will be using the 2200kv motor but I am debating on a few ESC combinations. 1. Keep the replacement Mamba Monster as is. 2. Add a CapPack to the replacement Mamba Monster. 3. Or sell the replacement to buy a Mamba Monster Extreme.

I am trying to figure out the most reliable combination.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene C View Post
    Your Battery spliter...is that 12 gauge? Your batteries are 10 gauge and the esc is 10 gauge. You might want to build one that is 10 gauge while your car is down. You may have a problem later if you don't.
    It's actually 10 gauge like the ESC. The batteries are 8 gauge!

But i'm curious why 12 gauge won't work. Is it heat?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, Heat. If your esc is 10 and the spliter is 10 your fine. Think of it this way, compare water to electricity, they both flow by curent. 10 to 12 back to 10, 12 is actualy restricting flow a little. like water moving through a large pipe then steped down to a smaller then back up to larger. The smaller section will stress. A 12 gauge setup may want to melt under load. Your fine if your bats are 8 and everything else is a 10. Would roll with ya on the add on cap from Castle. That's just a good idea.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, Heat. If your esc is 10 and the spliter is 10 your fine. Think of it this way, compare water to electricity, they both flow by curent. 10 to 12 back to 10, 12 is actualy restricting flow a little. like water moving through a large pipe then steped down to a smaller then back up to larger. The smaller section will stress. A 12 gauge setup may want to melt under load. Your fine if your bats are 8 and everything else is a 10. Would roll with ya on the add on cap from Castle. That's just a good idea.
    Okay makes sense. I asked Castle about the differences between the Mamba Monster and the Mamba Monster Extreme and from what I understood was the only difference is the Mamba Monster Extreme has the CapPack and Traxxas software. I also noticed that it has an extra plug for a voltage reading. I would like to keep my warranty but still have a voltage reading. Could I simply tap into each lead and solder on a JST plug? Or is it more complicated than that?

One more thing... Is it possible to add a fuse or something to prevent the new one from damage?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Revo 3.3 View Post
    Okay makes sense. I asked Castle about the differences between the Mamba Monster and the Mamba Monster Extreme and from what I understood was the only difference is the Mamba Monster Extreme has the CapPack and Traxxas software. I also noticed that it has an extra plug for a voltage reading. I would like to keep my warranty but still have a voltage reading. Could I simply tap into each lead and solder on a JST plug? Or is it more complicated than that?

One more thing... Is it possible to add a fuse or something to prevent the new one from damage?

Not sure about a fuse, have not heard of anyone doing that. If your worried about your warranty i don't think adding a cap or voltage leads for meter would harm it, unless they said otherwise. Why not build a y-harness, but go off the ballancing plugs you have on your lipo's for voltage in series? same thing right?

RC Qualifier
    Not sure about a fuse, have not heard of anyone doing that. If your worried about your warranty i don't think adding a cap or voltage leads for meter would harm it, unless they said otherwise. Why not build a y-harness, but go off the ballancing plugs you have on your lipo's for voltage in series? same thing right?
    The CapPack won't void the warranty. Not sure about the voltage meter though. Well it looks like Traxxas's voltage meter only uses the positive lead. The only thing that's keeping me looking at the Mamba Monster Extreme is that it has Castle Link Live whereas my replacement won't.

RC Qualifier
    HMMMM....well im running one with and one without. Its nice to have all the readings there but still have alot of vehicles that don't. Still drawn on weather it really matters.

RC Qualifier
    HMMMM....well im running one with and one without. Its nice to have all the readings there but still have alot of vehicles that don't. Still drawn on weather it really matters.
    Either way I will have telemetry, but just in case Traxxas decides to offer something like launch control capabilities to other models, I will be left out because the MMM doesn't have the required Castle Link Live like the MME does.
    Last edited by Alex's Revo 3.3; 05-13-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Grammar fix

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha. Wasn't sure what was going on there. Get the MME then.

RC Qualifier
    Either way I will have telemetry, but just in case Traxxas decides to offer something like launch control capabilities to other models, I will be left out because the MMM doesn't have the required Castle Link Live like the MME does.
    not sure launch control will make a differnce on this car .. But I was thinking of getting the Funny Car remote and trying to see if the launch control button will work on the xo-1

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha. Wasn't sure what was going on there. Get the MME then.
    Yeah sorry haha. Yeah that's what I was thinking.

RC Qualifier
    not sure launch control will make a differnce on this car .. But I was thinking of getting the Funny Car remote and trying to see if the launch control button will work on the xo-1
    I already have a 4ch TQi with the iOS dock. The only way I found to get launch control is to tell the controller that it is the funny car. However, when trying to set up launch control on my VXL Slash 4x4, it said "ET-3s not detected"

RC Qualifier
    I already have a 4ch TQi with the iOS dock. The only way I found to get launch control is to tell the controller that it is the funny car. However, when trying to set up launch control on my VXL Slash 4x4, it said "ET-3s not detected"
    thanks for lettin me know that .. that was what I was wonderin .. Saved me couple dollars

RC Racer
    I already had all of the electronics (Mamba Monster 2200kv Combo, Traxxas Servo, Traxxas 2.4GHz and receiver) and purchased the tires and body about 2 weeks ago. Finally sold my Revo 3.3 to pay for and XO-1 roller and bought it. I am very proud to say it arrived today! I installed everything and it was all looking good. I can't believe the size and aerodynamics of this thing!

However, after the batteries were charged up (x2 Turnirgy 5000mAh 50C 2s lips) and I was plenty excited to run it, something bad happened. I plugged in the batteries, flipped the on switch, and poof! smoke came pouring out of the cap bank. So now I have a very pretty paper weight to look at haha!

Anyway here are a few pics of my build:

a question for the body
    I noticed you mounted the white plastic inseire for the clips.
    I would like to know how to call them to buy

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Body washers

RC Qualifier
    thanks for lettin me know that .. that was what I was wonderin .. Saved me couple dollars
    Sure thing. Luckily I still needed at least a 3ch for my two speed E-Revo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by x0-1 00 View Post
    a question for the body
    I noticed you mounted the white plastic inseire for the clips.
    I would like to know how to call them to buy

thanks
    They are body washers. They prevent the body clips from pulling through the body in a hard crash. Had it happen a few times with my slash. Just thought they were a good idea. You do have to use a body reamer to make the holes in the washers a little bit bigger. The XO-1's body posts are like the same size as the Revo's.